SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kayaker saves 6 year old from river, dad doesn't seem to care
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kayaker saves 6 year old from river, dad doesn't seem to care Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
This is an amazing video of a kayaker finding a 6 year old floating in a river and getting him to shore after his dad appears to have left him, then later once on shore and being treated dad is nonchalant about the entire incident.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38298 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Amazing and very disturbing.

I find it difficult to believe I an missing context. That father deserves Asshole of The Year.

Posts: 3265 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
He knows to swim to shore.
if I leave him in the middle of the river at age 6 ?! Mad

Posts: 7389 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:
He knows to swim to shore.
if I leave him in the middle of the river at age 6 ?! Mad

WHEN I leave him in the middle of the river at age 6.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10607 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
What a POS!
Where was the Mother?

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
What a POS!
Where was the Mother?

One way to get out of child support.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3645 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I am horrified. That is one brave little boy, though.

Posts: 6531 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow...would've liked to see the initial encounter and the reactions of the father but, gotta question how much concern was he exhibiting. Highly questionable parental behavior.

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Imagine being 5 and traveling with your family from Rhode Island to California, and you lose your shoe in a muddy ditch at the rest stop on the interstate.

When you get to the car, your stepdad notices and tells you to go get your shoe, and when you pull you shoe out of the mud and head to the car, you see it driving back onto the highway.

And you are alone, no other cars, except the traffic on the highway.

What seems like eternity, and then the car comes back in from the left, stops, and your older step brother gets out and takes you to a hose to wash your shoes and foot, then you get in the back of the car and no one speaks to you.

Yeah, that kid will be dealing with that shit for a while.

It was not the first time something like that occurred with him, and will not be the last.

Hope he realizes who to trust and who to learn from.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Hope he realizes who to trust and who to learn from.

I was presented with a similar situation when I was about 8 years old. If I had learned from it, much trouble in life could have been avoided.

That kid needs a mentor just as much as he needed his rescuer that day.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
The terror on that kids voice made me breath catch. But kudos to that Kayaker. He was calm cool and collected

Posts: 7884 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Damn. Quite the douche bag. I have a feeling he was trying to act all nonchalant because he was afraid of scrutiny and possibly being charged. Or setting a precedent for being charged in the future when more shit happens.

Yeah, I think being left in the river is probably the least of that kids' problems, for the next decade at a minimum.

Posts: 7416 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can say about that kids dad would get my ass kicked off this forum in a hurry. But I still hope my wish comes true.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
WTH is wrong with some parents.

Dad needs to be taken out behind a woodshed.

That video needs to go to A state child protection department and have that SOB jailed...

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Most places you need a license to have a dog, but not a child. I too can't post what I feel about dad. But the looks on the firefighters and cops faces speak volumes.

Posts: 2849 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone is taking a collection, count me in for as much grass seed that’s needed.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
This happened two years ago. It took place on the St Louis River in Minnesota. If the father faced any legal consequences, I can't find anything.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/good...dd-eb1a6add1b17.html

Posts: 8924 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I won't get out of sight of a swimming pool with my 7 year old in it. This guy needs a beating. Then he should be sterilized so he can't fuck up another child.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

he should be sterilized so he can't fuck up another child.
That's not enough to protect kids. I know. My father, by all accounts a great guy, died just after my 5th birthday, so I never really knew him.

My mother re-married seven years later, and my step-father turned out to be an alcoholic abusive son of a bitch. To our knowledge he never had kids of his own, so sterilization would not have accomplished anything.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post