SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunglasses recommendation for a human w/flatter face
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunglasses recommendation for a human w/flatter face Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
I don't want to hijack the other sunglasses posts; I have a flatter face and it's been a challenge finding sunglasses that fit; almost everything that I've tried is geared toward folks with a rounder face (normal-shaped).

Any recommendations? At this point, cost is not an issue, my daily driver 7-yr old Sunclouds are working fine but since I can't find the same model anymore, I'm kinda worried about them breaking one of these days. Mainly looking for polarized casual sunglasses - driving/walking around town type, I'm covered on the outdoors/climbing/hiking front.

Thanks!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
A lot of the top brands offer "Asian fit" glasses. Yes, this is a real thing. I know Oakley, Maui Jim and others offer popular styles in "Asian fit".

https://www.sportrx.com/blog/a...lasses-mean-sportrx/

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'd agree. Look into the "Asian fit" glasses. There seems to be an increasing number on the market.

That said, I'd say avoid wrap-around type sunglasses and maybe look into something more like a Wayfarer style, since they're naturally flatter, just as a starting point for what to try on.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Thanks TXJIM, I just placed an order to try out a few pair!!!

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
A lot of the top brands offer "Asian fit" glasses. Yes, this is a real thing. I know Oakley, Maui Jim and others offer popular styles in "Asian fit".

https://www.sportrx.com/blog/a...lasses-mean-sportrx/

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I've been buying sunglasses from Covry since their Kickstarter campaign with zero regrets. First time in my life wearing properly fitting glasses.
For $10 you can order five pair to try on and return, and the $10 is credited towards your purchase.

https://shopcovry.com/

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Hmm. My understanding of Asian fit is that they are designed for folks who don’t have a “strong“ bridge (nose)...
I think you might try some classic aviators. They don’t have any base curve and are completely flat across the front.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My solution with every pair was to choose metal frames that you can bend and adjust the bridge, arms, and nose pieces. Might be a bit extreme, but I can make them fit the way I want it to fit.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I thought about that but I'm not a fan of metal frames; I did entertain the thought of using a heat gun on a pair of plastic-framed normal-fit glasses but got nervous about warping the plastic - specifically the lenses.

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
My solution with every pair was to choose metal frames that you can bend and adjust the bridge, arms, and nose pieces. Might be a bit extreme, but I can make them fit the way I want it to fit.

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Hmm. My understanding of Asian fit is that they are designed for folks who don’t have a “strong“ bridge (nose)...

That and also higher cheek bones, so the frames are tilted out more at the bottom.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend a Sunglass Hut type store near you. They’ll have all the brands, and all the types of fits. You can try on glasses for an hour and you’ll find ones you like the fit, and style.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the heads up, I just ordered some try-before-buy frames!

quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I've been buying sunglasses from Covry since their Kickstarter campaign with zero regrets. First time in my life wearing properly fitting glasses.
For $10 you can order five pair to try on and return, and the $10 is credited towards your purchase.

https://shopcovry.com/

I thought about that but I'd probably have to go into Portland, which I'm trying to avoid.

quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I’d recommend a Sunglass Hut type store near you. They’ll have all the brands, and all the types of fits. You can try on glasses for an hour and you’ll find ones you like the fit, and style.

Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Randolph Aviators might be the ticket.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post