SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Brake rotors made in the USA? Are frozen/cryo rotors a scam??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Brake rotors made in the USA? Are frozen/cryo rotors a scam?? Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've used EBC about 5 years ago on a car that was wrapping the front rotors. This was a somewhat common issue with that car. EBC slotted and dimpled worked great.

Definitely not on the cheap end of the spectrum but helped solve my problem alone with swapping single piston to dual piston calibers.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
On my phone, so this may be a little terse. Cryo treating steel, if done correctly, does cause a change in the chemical structure of the steel. However, I would expect along the lines of 10-15% increase in lifespan, maybe 25% if you are lucky. It will not double or triple the life of the rotors. It also doesn’t do much to change how much work it takes to overheat your brakes. If your problem is that the brakes are too small for your loads, cryo treating isn’t likely to fix that.

You can probably find US-made pads easier than rotors, but most of them will be priced as specialty items and not like OE replacements. US labor and machines cost more, so you might be able to find high performance pads from someplace like carbotech, but they will be more expensive.

Finding US made steel rotors is doubly problematic because not only have most of the machines that made rotors been sold off, but we don’t make nearly as much steel anymore. So, finding a rotor that was not only cast and machined here, but also used steel from a US foundry is going to be tough, and again it will be more expensive. Brembo at least has decent quality control, even on their OE stuff. It may not be great in terms of durability, but it will actually fit the vehicle it says it does, and shouldn’t be massively unbalanced or have big voids in them. I have used stuff from Centric as well and it has been fine for the price. Most of their stuff is not made in The USA, but I haven’t had the problems buying their stuff through rock auto, tire rack, or direct from them like I have with stuff off of Amazon.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
EBC made in the US and UK, Link

Or you could go with Callahan, still made in Sandusky OH, after his dad passed Tommy Callahan worked hard to keep the company going...

https://www.callahanbrakes.com/

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I have an early Tundra with the "Shakin on brakin" problem. Had Toyota warranty the problem; repair lasted almost a hundred miles. Called Toyota to see if there was were updated rotors I could purchase for my truck; NOPE! Discussed using larger rotors with a knowledgeable tire shop manager. Couldn't use lager rotors unless I went to larger diameter wheels. Over the last ~20 years I've used two sets of the cryo treated slotted rotors. Don't recall exact mileage, but can say they last a LOT longer than the factory type before warping...YMMV

PS, I guess the cryo treated are probably Chinese also, isn't most everything..

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Or you could go with Callahan, still made in Sandusky OH, after his dad passed Tommy Callahan worked hard to keep the company going...

Half serious?

According to the internet...

Made in China, Owned by PowerStop, Sold on Amazon!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

According to the internet...

Made in China, Owned by PowerStop, Sold on Amazon!

Last I heard they were all made in Sandusky, unless Ray Zalinsky finally bought them out, he'd move them to Shuangzhu for sure...

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Perhaps including a wink/sarcasm/wise ass emoticon would remove all doubt, but what I posted is true...Just sayin' Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Had heard of SSBC

Umm... No.

The concept of quality control at SSBC is lost, gone, dead, and nonexistent.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
According to that link I posted, SSBC went out of business and were bought out by someone else and resurrected in 2019. Are you saying the new company is still not any good? I don't know, I'm just posting links I've done searches for.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
At Parts Geek.

https://www.partsgeek.com/cata...performance_friction

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting Akebono pads and Bosch Quiet Stop rotors for the Suburban.
I really hope to get the wife something new in the next two years which is about 25k for us.
RockAuto had them on closeout for $40 each.

I used them in the past on my Explorer many years ago and they worked fine and were made in Mexico if memory serves correct.

We’ll see about these.

I have a lot of pad left on my Tundra but they are warped.
May just have them turned for the time being.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cryo treating rotors does indeed improve longevity and wear.

Agree. About 15 years ago a pal had a 2002 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 Diesel. I loved that thing. One thing he hated was how quickly it went through pads and rotors. He finally splurged for cryo treated rotors and pads and he said it was a big improvement.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Not USA, but I just bought Zimmermann rotors made in Germany. Far better than Chicom stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mutiny,

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
Not USA, but I just bought Zimmermann rotors made in Germany. Far better than Chico’s stuff.

Does not appear they have anything for my applications.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Bosch rotors arrived today.
They are now Chicom.

————————————————

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
One thing (of many!) that I really like about FCP Euro, is that the details on the product page for virtually every single part indicates where it's made! Here's the product page for an EBC Performance Slotted Disc Brake Rotor Set for my Volvo S60 indicating 'Made in: United Kingdom':

https://www.fcpeuro.com/produc...rotor-set-ebc-usr962

Here's a product page for a Bosch QuietCast Disc Brake Rotor for the Volvo S60 indicating 'Made in: China':

https://www.fcpeuro.com/produc...nt-11-bosch-52011348

And Genuine Volvo...'Made in: Sweden' https://www.fcpeuro.com/produc...0-genuine-31262706oe

Of course this is of no help to 'Black92LX' in this case, as FCP Euro only sells parts for euro cars (Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes, Mini, Porsche, Saab, VW & Volvo), but the amount of info they provide for each product is quite impressive, especially compared with Rock Auto, whose website fails to impress me at all.

Live Free or Die!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Just got a big box of ATF from FCP Euro today.
I buy almost all my fluids from them since I use LiquiMoly.
No clue how they stay in business with their lifetime replacement. But I’ll keep riding that train until it derails.

————————————————

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Brake rotor technology is complicated, and no one set of specs is reliable, like one would hope, between use cases, like commuting, aggressive street driving, amateur racing, big time racing, etc. The physics, heat capacity, heat transfer, metalurgy and behavior at various transition points, harmonics, you name it, vary widely per application. My guess is that's why there is so much smoke and mirrors in retail brake parts.

Yea I made that shit up. But my guess is it's not too far from the truth for most of us that don't live and work in that world. But yea it's fun wasting your money if you're still young enough to waste it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Perhaps including a wink/sarcasm/wise ass emoticon would remove all doubt, but what I posted is true...Just sayin' Wink

huh thought I had solidified my position as a wise ass Wink