SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another tire thread! 2003 Honda Pilot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another tire thread! 2003 Honda Pilot Login/Join 
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted
Hey all,

I've got a 2003 Honda Pilot nearing 200k miles. I'd like some new tires that will last for ~50k, as I'll probably trade it in before then. Size is 235/70 R16. For budget I'd say medium; I don't need the best but don't want to cheap out either, I've tried that before.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have some Hankook Optimos on my car (2009 Toyota Corolla, 195/65R15, 129,000 miles) that are on the low end of the mid-price range. I project and could probably get 50,000 out of them, but I'll probably replace them before that.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Costco or Les Schwab

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your Pilot will use something close to my 03 Odyssey. Costco Michellin's are about $500 installed. I can get about 60-80K miles. I believe Costco will honor the tires with change in ownership, assuming new buyer has Costco membership.

P229

Posts: 3845 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with my Continental Cross Contact LX20's. Great all weather tire.

http://www.continentaltire.com...t-lx20-21570r16-100s

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Hankook Dynapro HT, should be perfect on your Pilot. I had the older version on my 2004 and they were very good.

I have 2011 Pilot, now, and run the Dynapro ATm, they're wearing great but I'll go with the HT next time.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just got Michelin Defenders for our Odyssey at Costco; top recommendation by Tire Rack. New tires are very quiet. Costco tire service is excellent. Cost with tax, road hazard warranty about $600.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Costco has $70 off for 4 Michelin tires through May 31st.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23314 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Suburban here. Did much research and ended up with Firestone Destination LE2. Rated very well in every category except glare ice braking. Long wear life without compromising too much on traction and ride quality, all for a good price.

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
+1 with Russ59

We've been running the Michelin's on our 2004 Pilot for a couple years with no complaints. Ride good on the highway and work well in the snow & rain.

Cheers~

Posts: 907 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 2005 Pilot, and are very happy with the set of General Grabber HTS60's that our's is wearing. I think this is our 2nd set of them actually.

A couple of years ago while ascending a snow (fresh and packed) and ice covered hill in VT leaving a ski area, we made it up and over while many cars and (new model) SUV's did not. I did not think that we were going to be successful.

Lot's to choose from.

Posts: 3495 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have an appointment at Purcell's over by the mall on Wednesday to have new tires put on my Tahoe. I was in a similar situation to you. After doing my research, Goodyear came out of top as a durability for a high mileage tire. I wound up going with them. Purcell's are offering a $40 instant rebate per tire dropping the price to around $170 per.

IIRC, the Hankooks came in at around 600 for four as a more cost effective alternative.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Definitely go visit www.tirerack. Not only do they rate tires, their customers who actually drive on the tires, rate them as well.

It's a great tool and their prices can be very good, just be sure to compare their prices to those you can get locally.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Definitely go visit www.tirerack. Not only do they rate tires, their customers who actually drive on the tires, rate them as well.

It's a great tool and their prices can be very good, just be sure to compare their prices to those you can get locally.
I looked at Tirerack for the identical Michelin tires for my truck, and they were $50 more delivered than Costco charges installed.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23314 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

I looked at Tirerack for the identical Michelin tires for my truck, and they were $50 more delivered than Costco charges installed.

I have "won" by buying from Tire Rack and other times I have been better off price-wise by buying locally like you did. However what NO ONE else does, is provide a comparison tool like Tire Rack. Between their reviews and their customers reviews, I have always learned what is the best tire for our cars so I knew what to look for.

Hence even if you don't end up buying from Tire Rack, you learn a lot about the differences in tires if you take the time to research them on their website.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Hankook Optimo are pretty good tires.

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
Any experience with the Firestone Destination LE2? Found a good deal at a local place, might go with those. $120 per tire installed, minus $160 in rebates.

Thanks for the replies!

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
An update on Costco service--I posted above I was very happy with their service.
I recently bought a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my S2000. While working on it tonight (had to take the bumper off--twice--to fix the front license plate bracket--I discovered that these tires, which have asymmetrical tread, were put on the same way on both front wheels--a thin groove on the outside on the driver's side, on the inside on the passenger side. Sure enough, a look at the sidewell shows "inside" in various languages--on the outer rim. Oops.
I'll have to take it back and have it remounted.
They were also telling me I could rotate the tires--no, you can't on an S2000 (unless you have them demounted and remounted on the opposite side, but then the tire will be running "backwards" to its previous rotation).
Not sure other dealers would have done better, but that's my Costco story.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
We've been happy with Dueler Alenza's. Had them on a Highlander first now an Odyssey and commuter Tundra. Latest ones are 80k mileage rated.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post