SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long term, unattended gun storage. Suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long term, unattended gun storage. Suggestions? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have studied this very extensively and in much worse conditions than you are describing. The best strategy is a weapon coated with a preservative, placed in a VCI bag, with an additional VCI emitter and a small desiccant. Sealed properly. The problem of wood I have not studied as the guns I tested had no wood.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
This is what I've used for long-term storage:

Zerust bags

Also available in handgun size.

I put the long guns in a silicone-impregnated sock, then put that in the Zerust bag that gives off rust-inhibiting vapor. So far so good after 5 years, but in a relatively dry climate.

I just ordered $100 worth of those (handgun and long gun) and are having them sent up to him. Thanks for the suggestion.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For success you also need to coat the gun, (depending on how long...add a small supplemental VCI and a moisture absorbent.
FWIW>

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I told him to buy a big roll of vci paper. The bags I ordered him are ziplock style, so shouldn’t that help to hold in the gasses? Also, the vci bags/paper will tarnish brass and stainless, right? Should he still go ahead and put his Henry in a vci bag, knowing he’ll have to deal with it later? I’m thinking all stainless guns like his Colt Python shouldn’t go in a vci bag.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunsitters.com

They also have a service for deployed soldiers, marines, airmen and sailors. No cost to deployee.
They call that program Weaponguard.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about vacuum sealing them after coating with a rust inhibitor?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
doesn't make any meaningful difference versus just sealing the VCI bag.

Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
When I left Alaska I mailed all of my guns to myself via USPS to my parents home. No transfer issues etc. I bought rifle size boxes and simply put the guns in the boxes inside rifle cases.
You have to paper tape all seams and sign them, then insure them and send them registered mail.
I had zero issues, and as I was not yet at my parents house, I would think he could do the same to your house.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
When I left Alaska I mailed all of my guns to myself via USPS to my parents home. No transfer issues etc. I bought rifle size boxes and simply put the guns in the boxes inside rifle cases.
You have to paper tape all seams and sign them, then insure them and send them registered mail.
I had zero issues, and as I was not yet at my parents house, I would think he could do the same to your house.

If they were handguns, you broke some laws there.

Long guns, if you weren’t the one to pick them up, also.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'll store them. I'm in Utah Razz

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:

If they were handguns, you broke some laws there.

Long guns, if you weren’t the one to pick them up, also.

Trust me, I checked and double checked and only shipped my long guns.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good, so you are in the clear for handguns. I don’t mean to poke at your story, I’m really continuing this for others who may read this:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-c...p-10-qaspdf/download

If this was a package shipped to another state, it still constituted a gray area at best, and more likely a violation of federal law. Shipping to oneself in another state is only allowed for hunting or “engaging in other lawful activity”, with the key word being engaging.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would coat with R.I.G Grease, then bag them up.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:

Good, so you are in the clear for handguns. I don’t mean to poke at your story, I’m really continuing this for others who may read this:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-c...p-10-qaspdf/download

If this was a package shipped to another state, it still constituted a gray area at best, and more likely a violation of federal law. Shipping to oneself in another state is only allowed for hunting or “engaging in other lawful activity”, with the key word being engaging.

Understand. I was PCSing for the military, and his brother is moving for .gov as well. Just saying it might be worth looking into.

NRA Life Member

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Having suffered from government shipping and storage, there is a huge risk of theft. Stuff will “disappear.”
He ships the guns to an FFL near you and you store the guns for him. After his tour, work out him getting his guns.
Spend the money. He’s not going to easily replace the Python or the 1873 Winchester. Worse, the government will not pay replacement value. Everything that I had on a PCS was “chipped, dented, dinged” even if new.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Mine have been in a Remington sock, sitting in a closet for 10 yrs. They are still fine.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Stop.

This is a terrible idea. Especially if there are heirlooms firearms in the collection.

Have the firearms shipped FFL to FFL, buy a plane ticket, figure out the transfer, buy a Costco gun safe and have family look after them.

Leaving guns in government storage for five years will get them destroyed or stolen.

Forget any bright ideas about zombie apocalypse storage and just make the family thing happen. Things get lost, damaged, or "lost" in government storage over this period of time.

If you or your brother insist on this, I'll happily help pay for it by offering $500 for that Python. That's a hell of a lot more than it'll be worth two to five years from now, unless he's very well insured.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give them a light coating of good old Vaseline . It's cheap , removes easily , and will definitely protect them . I've seen some collectible Browning rifles that were stored this way for years . Pristine .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Stop.

This is a terrible idea. Especially if there are heirlooms firearms in the collection.

Have the firearms shipped FFL to FFL, buy a plane ticket, figure out the transfer, buy a Costco gun safe and have family look after them.

Leaving guns in government storage for five years will get them destroyed or stolen.

Forget any bright ideas about zombie apocalypse storage and just make the family thing happen. Things get lost, damaged, or "lost" in government storage over this period of time.

If you or your brother insist on this, I'll happily help pay for it by offering $500 for that Python. That's a hell of a lot more than it'll be worth two to five years from now, unless he's very well insured.

I’ve already delivered this lecture, so you’re preaching to the choir. Perhaps because I don’t work for the Feds, I’m not nearly as trusting. One of the reasons I’m spending the money and taking the time to help out is because I too believe what you have posted.

Perhaps I can get him to do some triage. Send me the real expensive or sentimental stuff, and let the rest go to storage. I got the total from him. 18 long guns, 8 handguns.

One is a good condition Martini-Henry that he collected up while in Afghanistan. At least that one won’t need to go through a FFL. Come to think of it, neither will the 1873 Winchester. He should just mail those to me.

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Rob Decker on this. To go even farther, your brother is trusting the government with expensive and heirloom guns?? What is he thinking? Have them legally shipped to you and store them or take advantage of a commercial storage option. A business you can at least sue if something happens to the guns.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post