SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long term, unattended gun storage. Suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long term, unattended gun storage. Suggestions? Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
My brother is moving to Saipan for 3-5 years. On Saipan the only people with firearms are LE and the few white guys like him who’ve moved over. There is no place to shoot long guns, and the only place to shoot handguns is at the local PD range that is only available for official business. Therefore, he wants to leave everything stateside.

The government will ship and store them for him, but they will be unattended in a warehouse. It’s basically a shut the safe and crate it thing. What is the best way to prepare the guns for storage? I’m thinking oiling them heavily, then putting them all in silicone impregnated socks would be best. Also, what about those chemicals you can put in the safe to release a vapor to prevent rust? Unfortunately, he has no idea where the government will put them. Ideally, Tucson, AZ. But just as likely it could be in Florida. I’m not that full of ideas since I live in UT, and we can be quite lazy about gun rust here. Nothing rusts easily here.

He is currently in AK, so just having one of us relatives hold them isn’t a good option. He’s transferring directly to Saipan from AK, and all of us relatives live in the lower 48.

Any ideas or best practices? Thanks.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Cosmoline seems to work well but I’m sure some good ideas will be posted.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't he have the government ship them to you instead of storing them?

If those are the options, I'd seriously consider selling them locally and hoping to be able to purchase replacements upon return to the US.

Who was it who said that the two enemies of guns are rust and the government? Your brother is up against both!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not that full of ideas since I live in UT, and we can be quite lazy about gun rust here. Nothing rusts easily here.

Can you store them for him?
A climate controlled house would be better than a warehouse somewhere.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cosmoline or other oil and grease will provide perfect protection.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
They won’t ship them for him, but only store them. Then they’ll later deliver them to him when he transfers back to the states. The government rules seem to be made by jackasses and administered by jackasses.

He doesn’t want to sell them either. Some are difficult to replace, like his Python, a 1873 Winchester, and some family heirloom stuff.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Layup for military weapons consisted of completely submerging the rifle in hot cosmoline and wrapping them in a foil backed wrapper and then sealing it in a plastic sleeve....

short of that, I'd submerge a rifle in hot grease, then vacuum it in a plastic wrapper and then seal it inside a pvc tube...

and I damn sure wouldn't want to leave it in a government warehouse somewhere...

I was the guy in charge of weapons at several units and we once had a Chief depart Cape Hatteras to San Juan (he was told he could not take his weapons) he wanted to leave them at my Armory for two years. This amounted to me keeping track of the weapons every day and logging them into their own logs...the old CO was cool with it and ordered me to do so.

Time marches on, and the new CO, is a rabid gun hater and no longer allows personally owned weapons on base, in housing and told me to turn all the personally owned weapons to their owners and that the .gov was no longer keeping them.

I had to call PR and talk the chief into my shipping his guns to some third party or the CO was going to have them destroyed. The CO gave me 30 days. Thankfully the Chief took some leave and at his cost, flew to VA, rented a car, retreived his guns and then took them elsewhere.

So, I'd ship them stateside to family, unless the guns had no sentimental value, then I'd sell them locally and re-purchase when I returned Stateside.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
and I damn sure wouldn't want to leave it in a government warehouse somewhere...

Those were the first words out of my mouth. My mind’s eye replayed the closing scene of Indiana Jones where they are storing the Ark. I don’t know what part of the government will be doing the storing. I’m inclined to think the FBI will keep them internally and not rely on another part of the government. You know how stuck-up the Bureau can be. Smile

Where can you get enough Cosmoline to dip a rifle? I thought they stopped making it.

He doesn’t say, but I think many of his guns are sentimental. We had a first cousin who was our next door neighbor. He was my brother’s age, and they were best friends growing up. While both my cousin and brother were in the Army, my cousin was killed in Iraq in 2006. My Aunt ended up giving my brother all of our uncle’s and our cousin’s firearms. It was difficult to loose someone to an IED, and I don’t think he’d want to part with any, even those that aren’t worth much.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Does he have the financial means to send them to you? If the only free option is not dependable, it would be better for him to pay for the shipping if he can afford it. A lot can happen in a warehouse in 5 years.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more you post, the more important these guns are, and I understand that. I'm thinking if it was my brother in Alaska and I lived in Utah, I'd get the paperwork in order to transport them through Canada, then drive up and get them myself.

BTW, you first said "Government" and I assumed "Military." Is he FBI, and don't they have more leeway in these matters? I'd have your brother check with HQ.

In any case, enjoy your upcoming round trip to Alaska! Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Approx. how many guns are we talking about? Per some of the above suggestions, it may make sense to at least incur the cost of shipping the special ones to you and let the gov't store the rest.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I’m thinking oiling them heavily, then putting them all in silicone impregnated socks would be best.

I agree that would likely be sufficient. Also - cleaning them then keeping them wrapped as 'airtight' as possible would help minimize the intrusion of humidity.

There are various 'long term' chemicals out there. 3-5 years is not a super long period of time. I have left guns in attic, garage etc longer than that with less prep without significant problems.

Give it a good prep - wrap it / case it - he should be good to go.

-------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't used these myself, but this is the new technology, available from Brownell's and others:

Maximum Protection From Rust & Corrosion During Long-Term Storage
Air-tight, industrial-grade storage bags are treated with advanced Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitor (VPCI) inside to protect and preserve your valuable firearms during long term storage—from 5 years up to as long as 20 years. Non-toxic VPCI forms an invisible gas inside the laminated polymer-and-foil shell that bonds to the firearm’s metal surfaces and prevents corrosion from starting. Won’t harm optics, non-metal surfaces, or stock finishes. Bag has a one-way check valve that allows you to use any conventional vacuum cleaner hose to remove the air from the inside to help ensure maximum long-term protection. Puncture and tear resistant shell is completely flexible for easy storage in gun safes and hard cases. Press-to-close, air-tight zip-lock seal keeps out air, moisture, and contaminants, and stays sealed even in harsh environments. The U.S. Marine Corps uses the same technology for long-term storage of M16A2 rifles. Handgun model holds one large or two small handguns; Tactical Rifle is designed for an AR-15/M16/M4-type rifle with optic; Sporting Rifle/Shotgun model holds a long gun up to 54" long.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Rig works well for this. Museums have used it for years. I would coat them in Rig and lock them into a Pelican case. Or why not get a gun safe and pack well and store the safe and all?

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...rease-prod31842.aspx

Is he coming home before he ships? He can legally ship them to himself at your place...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
R-I-G (rust inhibiting grease) applied with a microfiber cloth will protect guns in storage. Another good product is Boeshield T-9.

A breatheable silicone impregnated fleece case is also a good idea to protect the guns from bumps and safe dents, although I have had the fleece stick to an old oil finished rifle stock for some reason. Maybe the oil finish had softened from having gun oil wiped onto it by a previous owner.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'd just offer to let him ship them to you, do a transfer at a FFL, and then transfer them back when he returns. It'll cost a little but less than driving up to get them yourself.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
All good suggestions. Thanks.

Looks like Brownells "Rust Veto" is a new version of Cosmoline. Those VPCI vacuum storage bags also look like a viable plan.

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I'm thinking if it was my brother in Alaska and I lived in Utah, I'd get the paperwork in order to transport them through Canada, then drive up and get them myself.

In any case, enjoy your upcoming round trip to Alaska! Wink

As I'm currently planning a trip to Alaska through Canada and transporting firearms, it's not quite that easy.

First off is the drive. Probably a minimum of 5 days each way depending on where in Utah the OP is starting from. It's also starting to get a little late for that drive unless one is a fan of white landscapes.

Second are firearms that Canada considers, "Prohibited", you cannot enter the country with them. Basically anything that has the capability to hold more than 10 rounds. Handguns with barrels less than 4.1", yes it pisses me off I can't take my Smith & Wesson 629 Mountain Gun through Canada. Handguns in .32 or .25 chambering. Rifles or shotguns less than 26" in length. Basically anything resembling an EBR.

Third is the Application to Transport anything that Canada considers, "Restricted". Basically any handgun that is not prohibited. Any rifle or shotgun with a barrel less than 18.5", may or may not have to be semi-automatic depending on which set of Canadian government literature that you read. And yes, I included my Marlin Guide Gun on the application just to be on the safe side. The application has to be completed, submitted and approved before crossing the border. Specific dates and locations of entry and exit have to be specified. All restricted firearms must have trigger locks in addition to be transported in a locking case while transiting Canada.

Fourth is everything else declared at the border and there is a $25 declaration fee.

Fifth is trying to get a hold of a real live person at the Canadian Firearms Program office to answer questions and process forms. Today's call to amend my initial application I was on hold for an initial 35 minutes and then on hold for an additional 17 to talk with an official in Alberta where I'll be entering. I was lucky, normally I receive a recording, "Due to the large volume of calls, please try you call again later." Click. The people are extremely nice and helpful once I do get to talk with them, just getting to talk with them in the first place is an obstacle.

Unfortunately it's not just yelling out, "ROADTRIP!" and going.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When I went to Germany for five years, all my handguns were heavily sprayed with LPS3 and sealed in plastic bags (wooden stocks removed). Not stored in a warehouse, but no problems. A couple of long guns were sprayed with LPS3, sealed in plastic, and not stored climate controlled, but no problems.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is what I've used for long-term storage:

Zerust bags

Also available in handgun size.

I put the long guns in a silicone-impregnated sock, then put that in the Zerust bag that gives off rust-inhibiting vapor. So far so good after 5 years, but in a relatively dry climate.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post