SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What does SF like in home office printers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does SF like in home office printers? Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted
Just need a tool for simple, wireless home computing needs, homework and photos.

Reliable, simple, reasonable ink costs and availability (no expiring ink please).

What sayeth SF?

0:01

Posts: 4280 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
For plain old black and white printing, I regret it any time I buy something other than a Brother laser printer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Brother. Wireless, stupid easy setup, under $100 new, excellent toner life.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
I agree with V-tail, get a Brother B&W laser and be happy.

I bought one for my wife when she was in school and burning through inkjet cartridges. Upon needing a third set in six months, I went out and got a Brother network capable, duplex printer. I now use it as I am going through grad school.

The thing is a beast, maybe a dozen jams in 10 years. Large toner cartridge goes for $75 for 7000 copies.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I am using a Brother MPC-J480DW. Very happy with it, and ink is relatively inexpensive.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7274 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Last month I bought a Brother DPC-L2520DW multi-function B&W laser to replace an old Canon Pixma MP180 multi-function color inkjet that finally died. Paid $130 delivered and also picked up a pair of TN660 compatible toner cartridges for under $25. Each good for about 2600 pages. Couldn't be happier!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I got a HP Officejet Pro 8610. It's wireless, scans, faxes, prints 2 sided copies in color. It's the best home printer I've had.

Can't tell you how much it costs as it's a hand me down from my wife when she got a new printer from her company.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5794 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had an Epson WorkForce since 2012. Factory ink seems to have good life but now I'm running OfficeWorld ink off Amazon. Prior to that I had a string of terrible HP junk.

Posts: 2220 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Brother laser printer with wireless networking and two-sided printing (HL-L2360D). I wouldn't get color unless you plan to use color regularly, new toner much more expensive. For photos take them to a place to print.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Brother multi-function duplex B&W laser.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Totally agree, better off with a b&w laser & then go to walgreens and print off your pictures.

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Brother laser printer with wireless networking and two-sided printing (HL-L2360D). I wouldn't get color unless you plan to use color regularly, new toner much more expensive. For photos take them to a place to print.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4358 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
For plain old black and white printing, I regret it any time I buy something other than a Brother laser printer.

This won't work unless he wants black and white photo's!

I have a HP laser Jet 200 series laser printer. It has been flawless for the past 2 years and has been excellent on toner and would go this route if you want no expiring ink. It faxes, scans, prints and copies.....was around $275 I think.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Yup. On the very rare occasions that I need a color print, I just email the file to The UPS Store, where I go a couple times a week anyway, to pick up mail from my box. Or incoming from Amazon.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Just bought an HP OfficeJet 8710 about 4 months ago. Like Mikey, I like it!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
HP OfficeJet 8600 Pro user here, and content with it. Use the scan function a lot.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Brother laser printer. Color or B&W, depending on if you want color documents.

Have your photos printed professionally. It's cheaper and better quality than doing it yourself.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Cannon Pixma series. Cheap, simple, full functioned, doesn't take a rocket scientist to operated. long lasting, good on ink. yes, i've had all the brands, and i like Cannon the best.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw.

All-in-one printer scanner copier fax, with wifi networking and various other features. Cost about $275 on sale a year ago.

I also have an HP LaserJet 6MP from 1998 that still works fine - only a couple toner cartridge changes over the years.

Got tired of color ink jets and low number of prints per set of ink cartridges. Color laser isn't great for photos - if you need that a dedicated photo printer is best.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Brother laser with duplex.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brother gets my vote for simple,affordable, etc

Posts: 425 | Location: Newport News, VA | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post