SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA: denso fuel pump recall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: denso fuel pump recall Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I just received notice about a fuel pump recall (Denso) for 2019 camry that also affects other makes, models and years. The notice indicated symptoms include sudden stall / engine stop with engine possibly not able to be restarted. Notice indicated fix not yet available.

I’m still looking for details and what immediate actions should be taken. But the issue makes it sound like the car is not safe to drive.

Not sure if true but there was a post about the cause possibly being related to a cheap, sub-par component in the fuel pump made in China.

If so, i hope denso pays dearly for this and eliminates all Chinese components from its supply chain. And that other component makers take heed.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The Highlander has an ongoing recall for the fuel pump. Got mine done a few weeks ago. Took them a few hours.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Are vehicles still considered usable or is this a stop use until fixed event? Issue seems dangerous if it happens but it doesn’t seem like a high rate of incidence.

What’s the general practice here?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Took my Highlander in. They said 2-3 hours. I sat down to wait and only about 1 hour later it was done. 25,000 miles and a new pump.....I'm happy.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
konata, waiting on the recall to be done on my 2019 4Runner. Talked to service guys and they stated it is safe to use unless you start experiencing sudden stalls at highway speeds. I feel like mine stutters sometimes but then again it may be me being overly critical since I know their is an active recall with no estimated fix date. It remains to be seen whether Toyota is being overly cautious in their recall or the fuel pumps they used are really that bad.

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
… unless you start experiencing sudden stalls at highway speeds.
While not as bad as happening to an airplane, there are circumstances where that can be unsafe. I'd get this done - or an appointment made if parts have to work their way through the pipeline - ASAP.

Posts: 28012 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Confusing part is that there is no remedy yet. So people getting their pumps replaced - replacement part is still a faulty part that needs replacement with the remedy part when available?

I would be okay driving but not sure my wife should be. If it’s just conservative, maybe okay.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Confusing part is that there is no remedy yet. So people getting their pumps replaced - replacement part is still a faulty part that needs replacement with the remedy part when available?

I would be okay driving but not sure my wife should be. If it’s just conservative, maybe okay.

It's a known issue, but will take time for the supply chain to catch up with new parts. Just Highlander & Camry are 2500+ per day production & all suppliers are struggling to keep up, adding replacement capacity will be difficult especially if there are a bunch faulty (I suspect you'd like them to correct the problem before replacing the possibly defective fuel pump you have).
Replacements are probably being prioritized for failures first, then all the suspect parts that haven't failed.
When you get into NHTSA, there's all kinds of stupid scenarios that come up as 'potentially unsafe'. It's a 'what if' clusterfuck. Having the engine die while going down the road is potentially unsafe, but it's a very low-frequency risk. Driving down the road is also potentially unsafe & statistically more likely to kill you than your fuel pump going out.

Posts: 3298 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Are vehicles still considered usable or is this a stop use until fixed event? Issue seems dangerous if it happens but it doesn’t seem like a high rate of incidence.

What’s the general practice here?

Fuel pumps die every day completely unrelated to this recall. If you have the chance to get it fixed, do it for sure. If you can't get it fixed, it may leave you stranded but the incidences of that happening appear to be incredibly low.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
Call the dealer, make sure you have your VIN. Parts may be available now, not sure of the exact roll out dates for the camry but I had a 2019 Highlander done. I believe the issue is with the plastic density of the pump parts.

Edit:Information on the net says the remedy for all models affected by the fuel pump recall are available now.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 407 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post