SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoking a precooked ham for turkey day. A bit of advice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoking a precooked ham for turkey day. A bit of advice. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I know we have tons of threads on smoking/smokers for cooking. I am coming up a bit empty in searching through.

I have a traditional Japanese Komando smoker. It was given to us by a family member who has passed. Have not used it much. It is complete and I have the necessary supplies.

Thinking I should use some lump charcoal and put some soaked in wood in it. Put the ham in and try to keep the temp around 160.-180. And leave it for several hours Maybe 4-6?

We will be taking it to another location to enjoy with family so will reheat in the oven befor serving. I would really like this to turn out great so plz advise me on specs on how to make that happen. Thanks guys and happy Thanksgiving.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Here you go. Smoker doesn't matter. Just do same temp and use some wood chunks with your charcoal.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Damn that looks good!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok, think 3-4 hours at somewhere around 225-250 should do it. Don't think I will go that sweet though. Thanks Fray.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Definitely:
  • Use lump charcoal. I use B&B brand, but others swear by Royal Oak, Rockwood, BGE brand, Ozark Oak, Humphrey, Jealous Devil, or wicked Good. You couldn't pay me to use that construction waste they put in Cowboy brand.
  • Do NOT use lighter fluid

Here is a good video that shows 6 ways to light a Kamodo:

Of the 6 options:
  • 1 - used to use it, but stopped 7 or 8 years ago before switching to #4.
  • 2 - similar to what I use as a back-up. I usually use either the BGE brand or the much cheaper Rutland Fire Starter Squares .
  • 3 - never used it
  • 4 - This is my primary method. I had the power cord version of Looft Lighter but it died. I replaced it with a $8.99 HF heat gun.
  • 5 - Never tried
  • 6 - I used to do this. The speed is good and it was my primary method during the summer in Alaska, but quit do to the amount of holes the sparks were burning in my shirts. I never used it in the winter as the rapid heating scared me on cracking the ceramics.

As far as temperature, I'd smoke at 225 to 240, and cook until internal temperature of 140 if you bought pre-cooked and 160 is you bought raw.

As far as time, from what I've read, estimate 20 minutes per pound.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of DougE
    posted Hide Post
    https://youtu.be/LXq2T2QQE6k

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    posted Hide Post
    Wow DougE, that looks delicious. If mine looks and tastes anything like that. I am golden. Thanks guys. Smile

paradox in a box
    Picture of frayedends
    posted Hide Post
    What time should we arrive? Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by DougE:
    https://youtu.be/LXq2T2QQE6k

Yeah not for me. Never had very good luck with spiral hams as they tend to dry out especially on a smoker. I'm not laying that much maple syrup and heavy rub on a ham like that. Man he must be tasting everything but ham. I generally get a bone in half ham the cheaper the better. The cheap ones take on the smoke much better than the more expensive ones like Cure 81 hams. I will lightly rub it with a sweet pork rub of your choice but no need to go heavy.

I will spritz it every half hour or so with a mix of pineapple juice and cherry schnapps.
    Run the smoker around 250 for two to 3 hours. Long enough to heat it through and lay some smoke on it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I personally wouldn’t soak the wood. I like a clean semi transparent smoke. Also ceramic smokers don’t require as much hardwood. I would think one or two fist size pieces would be plenty.

Fogo lump coal is pricy, but is a very gentle lump coal. Great on chicken and turkey.
    I’ve gone to lighting my Kamado Joe with a propane weed burner. Works great!

Good luck with your ham!

P226 9mm CT
    Springfield custom 1911 hardball
    Glock 21
    Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I just watched the lab video. The way I was lighting my lump coal was with a Weber chimney. I used my side burner on my gas grill. Worked perfect! 5 minutes and flames out the top! However, my grill and smoker are on my PT deck. Bringing the flaming coal from grill to smoker one time a small piece fell out the bottom and smoldered halfway through a board. My bride thought it might be better to use another method for lighting!

P226 9mm CT
    Springfield custom 1911 hardball
    Glock 21
    Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    posted Hide Post
    In the smoker! Big Grin

Used the weed burner method to light the lump charcoal. Worked very well. Applewood for smoke (dry)

Used some real maple syrup. Way less than the vids. Added some dry rub I had. Looks delicious. I am optimistic it will be.

Thanks for those who offered up the suggestions and vids. I really appreciate (am Thankful) for you guys.

Green grass and
    high tides
    posted Hide Post
    So I had trouble controlling the temp. Thought I had it dialed in at about 250 degrees. Left it for maybe 40 mins. Checked it and it was in full cook mode at 350 degrees. Smoke was good though Smile So took it out after 2 hrs 15 mins. Keeping it warm on the wood stove under foil. Tasted it and seemed terrific. So it is headed to family for and afternoon dinner. Hope all goes well.

Not sure how to control the heat in my smoker. Thinking smaller load of coal. Lower and upper air flow adj. did not seem to do the trick like I thought it would. You guys will need to educate me.

Picture of dsiets
    posted Hide Post
    To start, open both the bottom and top vents all the way until you are sure you have an established fire and airflow.
    Sometimes as you get to the bottom of a bag, you get smaller pieces or leftover partially burned bigger pieces that break up into smaller pieces, preventing good airflow.
    If I'm doing a longer cook, I'll make sure I'm using mostly bigger lump chunks.

Today My target temp. was 350* so I started adjusting the top vent only when it was close to 300*. It will usually keep warming up a bit because the ceramic is still absorbing heat and the temp. is not really stabalized yet.
    You can leave the bottom vent open all the way and just use the top vent but in the middle of winter I'll close the bottom one a bit. You want the bottom one open more than the top or you'll choke out the fire.

To maintain a temp. around 225*, you really don't need much open on the top vent, at least on mine.

In the end, you really just have to use it and you'll catch on in no time.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    posted Hide Post
    Ok Ds, thanks for the info.

The ham was great. Enjoyed by all. Left a bunch for family to make sandwiches and bean soup. Also left a plate full for a neighbor who gave me some of his antelope jerky. We probably have 3+ lbs leftover Wink It was a success.
    Already told I am smoking a turkey for Christmas so I am going to need your help on that! Wink

Shall Not Be Infringed
    Picture of nhracecraft
    posted Hide Post
    What, NO pics...Are we sure it happened? Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
    Trump 2024....Save America!
    "May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
    Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    Came here to say the same thing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post