SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shingles Shot - did you get one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingles Shot - did you get one? Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I got the old vaccine about 4-5 years ago, and will be getting the new vaccine when it is available this year. I do not want to get shingles!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10544 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I got the Shingrix and got it at my local pharmacy. They told me it's 95% effective and drops to about 93% after a couple years. My insurance also covered it 100%

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Got it at 60. I was at Madigan hospital with my wife and a comedy pair of nurses decided to update my shots. When they heard I was a teacher, they offered a plague shot!

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just completed my vaccine certification course. This was a big topic. Get the new vaccine (Shingrix) even if you have had the previous vaccine (Zostavax). It aint worth the risk to get shingles.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Need to update with new shot thanks

Posts: 5347 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
What if you had shingles within the past 10yrs? Do you need the vaccine? I’ll asked doc next week on a scheduled maintenance visit. But would like to hear what the hive has experienced. I caught it early on side of torso. Wasn’t too bad but wasn’t easy either.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1311 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My doctor won't let me have the vaccine because of me contracting Bells Palsy.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I got the shot several years ago after watching my dad suffer with the shingles. He was in his late 80's at the time.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My Dr recommended it and I got one several years ago.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I got the original one about two years ago. I will not rush right out and get the new one. Like an apple update I like the way to little bit...

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got Shingles every Fall for four years in a row. It is a horrible disease. I asked my doctor if it made sense for me to be vaccinated? He got this "Why didn't I think of this" look on his face. I got the shot that day and haven't been afflicted with Shingles since.

I recommend the shot, it changed my life for the better.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 717 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Got the old one. Now the VA is prescribing the new one. Supposed to be more effective.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I got the Shingrix and got it at my local pharmacy. They told me it's 95% effective and drops to about 93% after a couple years. My insurance also covered it 100%

I got the first of two Shingrix shots at my pharmacy several weeks ago. My UHC Plan N insurance covered the full cost. It’ll cover the second shot too. Without insurance, both shots are expensive.

Oddly, my GP recommended getting it at a pharmacy, rather than at the clinic – dunno why…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post