SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shingles Shot - did you get one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingles Shot - did you get one? Login/Join 
Picture of mark60
posted
I've known 3 people in the past two years come down with shingles. One caught it right away (she's a nurse) and two didn't. The two that didn't were in agony for months so I've been going to get the shot for a while. A friend of mine texted me a pic Friday night asking if I had any idea what he had on his chest. Shingles. I got my first shot today and go back in 2-4 months for a second, I'm not playing with that crap at all if I can avoid it.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That one scares me, too.

There is a "new" shot, and the old vaccine. The old one doesn't last very long, in terms of protection. Which did you get?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shingrix (the new one) is the one everyone should be getting. It is much more effective than Zostavax, in the 90+% range vs mid 60% range (if that, I can't remember the exact number) of Zostavax. It is a 2 dose series, your local chain pharmacy should be carrying it. There are currently some supply issues with the vaccine, so they may be temporarily out of stock. We are trying to stock up on it to take care of our customers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Erick85,

Posts: 2169 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I got the old one when I turned 60. Waiting for the new one to arrive.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shingrix (the new one) is the one everyone should be getting.

This is on my list for next doctor visit for sure.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Do it.

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Be VERY careful here!

The shingles vaccine uses live varicella-zoster (chickenpox) virus and some folks, due to either medical condition, drugs being taken, or both, SHOULD NOT ever have any vaccine with a live virus.

Such is my case.

The new Shingrix is said to NOT use a live virus so I'll be checking with my physician about suitability for my use.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The new Shingrex vaccine has been on my A Round Tuit list for awhile. This is a good reminder to call my doc and take care of it.

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Expect some mild side effects of flu like symptoms depending on your immune system. The older you are the less the side effects. I had the earlier vaccine and had a mild case of shingles treated promptly with acyclovir. I am hoping that this vaccine will be more effective. As noted earlier clincial trials are encouraging in that regard.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I had the old vaccine probably three or four years ago, as I recall I was told it's all I'll ever need. Is it advisable to get the new one now even after having the other one?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
At what age should someone consider the vaccine? Thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My Doc told me I should get one when I turn 60.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I caught shingles last year on the right side of my face and scalp. Had three blisters in and around my right eye and the docs were concerned that I might lose my sight

it was very painful and was fortunate that I didn't scar too badly

fortunately I didn't but when I realized what I had, I went to the doc and it was too late to get a shot

I can get a prescription for one this year and I probably will

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Got the first dose of the new shot a couple weeks ago. I was told to come back for the second dose in six months.
My wife had shingles about six years ago. Nothing I want to ever get.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1942 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had the old vaccine probably three or four years ago, as I recall I was told it's all I'll ever need. Is it advisable to get the new one now even after having the other one?

Yep. New vaccine much more effective.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard them advertise the shot on tv and one of the drawbacks is that it may cause shingles.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Be VERY careful here!

The shingles vaccine uses live varicella-zoster (chickenpox) virus and some folks, due to either medical condition, drugs being taken, or both, SHOULD NOT ever have any vaccine with a live virus.

Such is my case.

The new Shingrix is said to NOT use a live virus so I'll be checking with my physician about suitability for my use.

One of the benefits of Shingrix, is that it isn't a live vaccine. It is suitable for those who couldn't get Zostavax due to certain medical conditions and medications.

Posts: 2169 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Airpusher
posted Hide Post
I had shingles a few years back. It was a bad scene. I got a shot last year because my wife came down with them. Now you tell me I need another shot? Will the madness ever end?

A man is still only as good as his word

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

Yes it is advisable to get it. When you received Zostavax 3 to 4 years ago, Shingrix wasn't available and it was a one time dose.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Airpusher:
I had shingles a few years back. It was a bad scene. I got a shot last year because my wife came down with them. Now you tell me I need another shot? Will the madness ever end?

The new vaccine is MUCH more effective than Zostavax. 90+% efficacy for Shingrix.