SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking For Exercise Suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking For Exercise Suggestions Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
The combination of age (84) and health (Guillain Barré Syndrome) have weakened both my balance and strength.

I have to be extremely careful not to trip over the smallest obstacle.

If (when) I do fall, or if I get down on the floor for any reason, I find it very difficult to get up unless I have something to hold on to. Very frustrating.

Earlier today while mowing the lawn I took a step backward, lost my balance, and fell. It was not a hard fall, it sort of happened in slow motion, no bruises or anything, but I could not get up past a sitting position. Used my Apple Watch to get my wife's attention, she brought a walker out and I was able to use that to sort of climb up and stand, but the situation would have been worse if she had not been home.

I am NOT ready to give in and retire to a rocking chair! I’m looking for suggestions for specific exercise(s) to improve balance, and to help me stand up if I am on the floor.

At one point we had a Pysical Therapist here on SIGforum (mrmn50), but he no longer participates.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get your physician to prescribe occupational therapy. Medicare covers it.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Try a google search. It turns up all kinds of articles and videos showing various exercises for balance and how to stand up if you're older.

I do balance exercises on each leg individually every day and here's a link on how to stand up without a walker or help. It's the way I have to get up. I'm not as old as you but I'm getting there.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I second what ZSMICHAEL wrote: Hie thee to a physical therapy place.

I was getting twice-a-week sessions with "homework" assignments following my knee surgery. I was always skeptical of PT exercises--for no rational reason, it turned out.

After three months of little activity, prior to the surgery-because I had no idea when straightening the leg with the bad knee would nail me, plus the after-effects of the surgery, I wasn't in much a different place than you, V-Tail. Not kidding. I had to be very careful going down stairs and, if I got on the floor/ground, getting back up was very difficult--particularly if I had nothing to grab onto so my arms could help.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
At this stage I think you need some professional guidance. If you are a medicare advantage insurance person you probably get free gym memberships at premium gyms that offer no charge classes, or at least guidance on what you should be doing. Worth seeking these out.

I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending a excursive program... one, what I do is for me, and not for everyone, and two you don't want to do more harm than good. The only think I know is you have to be consistent. If you say you're going to exercise three times a week, do it and don't find excuses to miss a session. If you're tired and can't complete the routine, fine but give it a go and if need be go sit down for a bit.

I have a 94 year old friend that comes to my gym now and again. Great guy. He does what he can, and we talk politics to get his juices going.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Get your physician to prescribe occupational therapy. Medicare covers it.

This. I think you will be impressed with the results.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife likes to go to the local health club and walk laps in the pool.
Perhaps something like that.

Posts: 36 | Location: Near St Louis MO, Let's Go Blues! | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I'm not a medical professional but I think of occupational therapy as something one does after a long stay in the hospital to be able to 'do enough' to function at home. At least that was the case when my father had it.

In terms of being able to improve balance and stand up after falling (and to 'harden' yourself against falling) in my opinion weight training is the best thing you could undertake. Even at 84 you should see some sort of gain or improvement after a period of time as long as you do it consistently which is the key to the whole thing. I suppose dumbbells or kettlebells would be the best thing to try at first but I'm not a weight training coach either. I recommend finding someone who can help you learn the movements.

I'm 55 years old and starting training with a barbell and iron plates last year and its hands down the best thing I've ever done as far as training/exercise is concerned. I wish I had started 20 or 30 years ago but one thing I do know is that's it's never too late to start.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
be very careful going down stairs and, if I got on the floor/ground, getting back up was very difficult--particularly if I had nothing to grab onto so my arms could help.

There is a widely available national program called Silver Sneakers that has classes that are specifically designed to address balance and strength and reduce risk of falls. There are lots of in-person classes at local rec centers and participating gyms. There are also online videos and classes.Generally, Medicare covers it.

https://tools.silversneakers.com/

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me

Posts: 20613 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
A shallow pool. Water works as a gel for all your joints. They have weights to use in the water. First step is go see the doc, who can refer you out to a PT doc. And make sure the PT facility has a pool.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
As others have said, this is something you'll want to talk to your primary care about. Given your age and medical history they will be able to work on something specific to your needs and potential limitations to avoid exacerbating any pre-existing conditions and making things worse.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
v-tail, my father is in your age group. Slightly older. He is seeing a physical therapist for similar issues. Your doc should be able to write a script. As mentioned a few times above. Go to them and they will work you out and provide you the info you can continue on once done with the regime. Best of luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Hey V-Tail glad you are still kicking. I don't have any suggestions for you, just wanted to say hang in there bro. I like your posts.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Yoga. maybe take a class that caters to older people

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Get on a exercise program recommended by a professional. Also drink as much water as you can every day. Amazing what it does for your joints in particular as well as the rest of your body.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Over the past several years I too have increasingly suffered from poor balance. My GP referred me to a neurologist. I learned that there are three components of the balance system:
* Vision
* Vestibular accelerometers
* Sensory and motor nerves that transmit info between brain and feet

EMG/NCS tests indicated indicated that compression in the L4-L5 region of my spine was impairing nerve transmission. I’ll see my neurologist again later this month. Hoping for a remedy for the spinal compression, but I’m not optimistic.

I’ve also been getting physical therapy sessions. I see no substantial benefit from those sessions or the prescribed home exercises. My therapist is a cute YL though. Smile

So I recommend that you see a neurologist to learn which of your three balance components is impaired. Also, it seems likely that you have poor leg strength. My recommendation to improve that is stair climbing. I do that, holding onto the rail, or with my hand poised to grasp it if necessary. I also walk about three miles most days. Two 1.5 mile walks.

The sensation produced by my balance problem: a solid surface beneath my feet feels as though it’s flexing. I’m not greatly impaired – I just have to be careful.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more suggestion-stop mowing and/or shoveling snow. Exercise is good, but pushing a mower in heat at 84 is not optimal. Hell, it's hard on me, and I'm 20 years younger.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a very simple exercise would be chair sits.

get a sturdy chair (and make sure it won't slip backwards !) and from standing position - hands out front - sit back into the seat and then from the squat position push using your glutes / quads back up into standing position. do 10-15 reps per set.

lots of what happens as you age is the main muscles of the legs weaken which greatly affects balance and mobility.

would not suggest actual weighted squats at your age -- but the chair sits work the same muscles without loading the back / spine

whatever you do -- try to keep moving in a safe manner. sedentary living is a bad thing.

ETA: check this out -- a pretty good list of exercises for seniors. don't feel bad about NOT doing any you don't feel comfortable with.

https://californiamobility.com...eniors-visual-guide/

good luck --

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
As you get older, you lose muscle mass so LEF recommends WHEY protein. I use this product:

https://www.lifeextension.com/...whey-protein-isolate

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

stop mowing and/or shoveling snow.
Shoveling snow? I stopped doing that about 35 years ago, when we relocated to Florida. Wink

As far as pushing a mower, not really pushing, just walking behind it. When I got totally fed up with young, healthy, lawn service guys who might show up if they felt like it, I bought an EGo battery powered unit, the upgrade with the power drive, so if pushing gets a bit harder than I want it to, I just engage the thumb lever and the mower is self-propelled.

I do take plenty of breaks, don't work more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time, go inside the air conditioned house, sip a Gatorade, and stick the battery on the charger. Not over-doing it at all. Yesterday's incident really had nothing to do with the mower, I took a step backwards and tripped. Not the first time that I have tripped, the slightest irregularity can cause me to lose my balance.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post