SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are we all using for a home dehumidifier
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are we all using for a home dehumidifier Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
After using the search tool here it looked like the results went back a few years so I thought I would ask.

What are we all using for a home dehumidifier these days? The weather in central Fl has been cool the last few weeks so I like to keep the windows open. I will do this till it gets to cold in the house however I then notice the humidity goes up.

The humidity in the house has been between 50% and 60% and was wondering what I could use to keep the humidity around 40% to 50%.

I have looked on Amazon and they are all over the place on price. It would not run all the time and I only need it to cover about 1000 square feet. It also does not have to come with a drain hose because I would have no ware to run it to.

Thanks for all your help

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I have two of these and am very happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Port...75-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tea kettle on my wood stove helps a lot, and a Vicks humidifier also.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I have a musty basement and I bought this from Amazon based on YT reviews etc.. It's been great, happy with the purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
tea kettle on my wood stove helps a lot, and a Vicks humidifier also.

OP wants to DE-humidify.

Posts: 26929 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's dry today, so I opened the windows and lanai doors.

On the humid cool days, I close things up run the AC, and wait for a day like today to open things back up again. Running at 72 degrees until the humidity drops and let the sun warm the house back up.

Posts: 10986 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I just look up the reviews when I'm in the need and make the best guess.
Seems to be luck of the draw beyond that.
Some are lucky to go a year, others for a decade.
Finding the most efficient settings for your situation seems to be more important long term. They can consume a lot of electricity sometimes.

Posts: 9529 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am not brand matters, most seem to be made in the same factory in China. I got very good service out of a Sears model and when it died, it was replaced with one from Lowes.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
The weather in central Fl has been cool the last few weeks so I like to keep the windows open. I will do this till it gets to cold in the house however I then notice the humidity goes up.

The humidity in the house has been between 50% and 60% and was wondering what I could use to keep the humidity around 40% to 50%.
With the windows open? Nothing. There's no dehumidifier in the world big and powerful enough to dehumidify all of central Florida.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Depending on the size of your home, your budget and other considerations you may be better served by installing a whole house dehumidifier on your HVAC system like the April Aire systems we installed in the homes we built.
They are not cheap and usually require a HVAC tech to install them but they do work very well.

https://www.aprilaire.com/whol...oducts/dehumidifiers

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information. looks like I have some more research to do.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post