SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traffic question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traffic question Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Say there’s an intersection with two stop signs, one in each direction perpendicular to a through street with no stop. If I am the first to arrive at the stop sign and am waiting to turn left and the another car arrives at the opposite stop sign and is waiting to go straight through, when the intersection is clear to pass, who goes first? Do I complete my left turn or do I yield to the other driver?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
First to arrive at either of the stop signs goes first after yielding to the through street traffic.

'veritas non verba magistri'

Posts: 4010 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That’s what I’ve always thought. Last year I almost got in a wreck that way and today I got honked at and the middle finger. Kind of shook my confidence in my understanding of traffic rules.

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I would disagree and kind of treat it like a stop light.

Once both cars are stopped and waiting for cross-traffic to clear, they (the waiting cars) are neutral to whomever "arrived" first and hence, left turn yields.

Too much time to "forget" who arrived first. (Like, what if both cars waited five minutes for the cross-traffic to clear? If the car which remembered it arrived first makes a left turn in front of the other car trying to make it across cause they forgot, who's at fault?)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
That’s what I’ve always thought. Last year I almost got in a wreck that way and today I got honked at and the middle finger. Kind of shook my confidence in my understanding of traffic rules.

If you arrived first, and there is no traffic on the perpendicular street, then the other driver is an asshole.

Q

Posts: 27606 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
First to the stop sign has the right-of-way once cross traffic has cleared.

Posts: 9245 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Zfm4pZAyg

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The one going straight has the right of way if you were both stopped at the same time. If you arrived first and you waited for the other person to also come to a stop before you move, you are signaling that you have passed on your status of first one there.

However, if you move before they come to a stop, get to gettin'.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Given this very scenario, I think I'd always wait for the straight driver. Unless he waived me on.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39286 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Given this very scenario, I think I'd always wait for the straight driver. Unless he waived me on.

As long as you don't get into a "no you go first" creep stop, "no you go ahead" scenario.

Seems most drivers are so distracted I just take the right of way a lot of the time & make the decision for them.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16012 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Since there are differing opinions here, I took the time to read the Utah driver manual ( I’m here to do some work and move more stuff to Tennessee). It states that drivers yield to the first at an intersection. The very next line says those turning left yield to oncoming traffic. So which is prime?

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I read those as 2 different scenarios, unless you're parsing the text.

Opposing drivers both with a stop sign, First stopped gets RoW.

Left turn across opposing traffic in motion, yield RoW to opposing traffic.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16012 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one going straight has the right of way if you were both stopped at the same time.

This

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4344 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
The one going straight has the right of way if you were both stopped at the same time.

This

No. Not this. (Unless “stopped at the same time” means arrived at the opposite stop signs simultaneously.)

In OP’s scenario, the first one at the sign (OP) has the right of way when traffic clears. That is the legal answer in every state I know of.

If you’re going to be involved in a MVA, make sure you were the one in the right.

And please, know the rules of the road and TAKE YOUR RIGHT-OF-WAY. Yielding it to be “kind” or “polite” or whatever doesn’t do anything but cause confusion, possible accidents, and generally fuck up the flow of traffic.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

You were correct in your procedure.

The problem is selfish people, who will ignore the sign and not come to a complete stop, see you are near, and charge through anyway, "assume" that since they are going straight and you are turning left (even though you arrive first) are "entitled" to proceed. I drive like I rode motorcycles, with the expectation that any and all see me as a challenge, do not see me at all, or simply do not care about anything but their own selfish wants.

I have only been in two accidents. One, motorcycle when I was young and stupid, and not yet familiar with stopping distances and speed. And the second 40 years later, where a car left turned in front of me. It was a last second left turn thing from opposite direction, both of us had green, no left turn signal and (tourist) realized their turn just before the bridge, and just turned, and I was about one car length from the intersection at 35MPH, so I aimed the center of my truck to hit his passenger side, since I had traffic in the right lane next to me, and oncoming from his direction and I did not want to deflect into oncoming. Worked perfectly, and I was on the binders hard enough and it rotated his car enough no airbags went off.

Two other accidents were a distracted young girl who hit me while I was sitting still in traffic, and a "pizza guy" that was speeding in December at dusk and I saw home coming at about 50MPH, again me sitting last guy in a line of traffic, and I tried turn left off the road into the median and was about 75% clear when he hit me, turned me 90 degrees and slammed into the car that was in front of me with enough force that Pizza Boy dropped the engine of his Isuzu PUP straight down onto the pavement.

(maybe I need to rethink that "they can't see me" I might be using the Force incorrectly here...)

I have millions of miles of driving and many countries "wrong way driving" and all the foreign sins and rules, always passed every test for licensing, plus flight line/runway/airfield driving of all manner of vehicles, towing about everything you can tow, and driving about everything that you can drive, and other than the stupid MC thing (I learned very fast) and the head on I had, I have not otherwise been the cause of any crashes.

Only have had one moving violation in my life and over 51 years of legal driving, for speeding, and that was coming into Montgomery on the freeway Fall of 1998, and I failed to see the speed drop, and was driving with the flow. Since then, I have always made sure I am looking for speed limit signs all the time.

While driving I never "direct" traffic, nor do I follow another driver's "directing", no matter how pissed they get, sit there and do my best Tracy Morgan...

Cuz, it's just like the Drive-thru, if you do!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
There's "right of way" and there is driving defensively. These days I drive like I ride. Everybody is distracted, on their phone, in a hurry, and generally selfish.

Drive accordingly. I'd rather avoid an accident and cede my right of way than get smashed because some douche was in a hurry.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"Stopped" at the same time, in the situation OP notes as they were both "stopped" at the same time to allow cross-traffic, means the vehicle turning left yields.

If the OP arrived at the stop sign first, and does not need to wait for cross-traffic, he had the right of way.

The optimal words here (and in the state laws noted it) are, "stopped at same time." Not "stopping at the same time." Wink

In this case, both the OP and other driver were stopped at the same time to yield to the cross-traffic. Just as if they were both stopped at the same time to wait for a traffic light.

Nuances of words which could be better defined in the situation which the OP was faced with.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^That’s my understanding of it.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to relearn to imbed videos, but I thought this was funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpdQvuAnqM

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I am the first to arrive at the stop sign...

Q.E.D.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post