SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traffic question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traffic question Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I ran into this today. I was the only one at the STOP and wanted to turn left. Once opposing traffic cleared there was a vehicle positioned going straight, opposite me.
I prefer them to proceed strait as I also enter the intersection and then I turn left right after they clear me. Two vehicles moving at the same time.
I feel this is the most efficient use of a two stop intersection but they waved me and I went.

Posts: 7489 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the law could vary by state.
When I'm in that situation I assume the driver going straight has the option unless they wave me through.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They have the right of way.

Everyone who isn't you has the right of way.

They get to go first because they want to. That seems to be the way it works.

Posts: 21375 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
They have the right of way.

Everyone who isn't you has the right of way.

They get to go first because they want to. That seems to be the way it works.

Sometimes, that's the case exactly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16012 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
"Stopped" at the same time, in the situation OP notes as they were both "stopped" at the same time to allow cross-traffic, means the vehicle turning left yields.

If the OP arrived at the stop sign first, and does not need to wait for cross-traffic, he had the right of way.

The optimal words here (and in the state laws noted it) are, "stopped at same time." Not "stopping at the same time." Wink

In this case, both the OP and other driver were stopped at the same time to yield to the cross-traffic. Just as if they were both stopped at the same time to wait for a traffic light.

Nuances of words which could be better defined in the situation which the OP was faced with.

Yes. That is correct.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
LS1 GTO is correct in most states. The left turner yields and turns behind the car passing straight through. This drives me nuts at 4 way stops since the abandonment of drivers ed.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The OP scenario has at least two dimensions...legal and practical.

Given the number of unlicensed, uninformed, unpolite, unnice, and unbelievable drivers on the road, I would yield to avoid MVA, regardless of the legal status I hold.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just to make it a little easier, say the left turner comes to a stop 15 seconds before the vehicle going straight gets there. After stopping the left turner is waiting for cross traffic, no stop sign, to clear.

In this scenario I don’t see any way where the vehicle going straight should expect to go first, ahead of the one turning left.

Of course, it’s always best to avoid swapping paint. At times you have to drive so as to make up for the deficiencies of others.

OBTW, I drive a motorcycle also, that keeps me on hyper alertness.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’ve decided to yield even if I was there first.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post