SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    35mm photo gurus, a question about equipment...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35mm photo gurus, a question about equipment... Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Was given the below two cameras and equipment that belonged to my grandfather when he passed. With the increased cost of film and processing I doubt I'll ever take up the hobby beyond a decent digital. Does any of the below have any value to a real-deal photographer or film camera collector? Not trying to ask "How much should I sell this for?" but rather would someone out there who appreciates such things have any use for it or would I be better off chunking it in the trash?

Thanks all!

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What do you have there on the left? Is that an FE or an FE2? Not that it matters, just curious. I had an FE. Great camera.

An old Sunpak 522. I had one of those when I was a press photographer, a good powerful flash. Boy, that takes me back.

I don't see much there. What's the lens on the left?

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I was hoping you'd see this Para. Looks like it's an FE.

Lens on the left has the following around the bezel: CPC - MC - Auto - 1:2.8 - 28mm - 55

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My opinion- it's not worth the time it would take to sell.

You can have that FE serviced by a reputable shop like APS. They're second to none IMO.

Contemporary Nikkor glass can be found relatively cheaply. Keep the FE and mate it to a good lens. That's what I would do.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
That, IMHO, is the kind of stuff you use to justify buying a bunch of used darkroom stuff and learning how to do film in a spare bedroom.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
Ha! My camera bag looked very similar to that when I did press photography back in the mid 80's. Still have my FE2 and MD-12 motor drive as well as all that great Nikon glass. Shoot a Nikon D800 now.
If you have room, hang onto the FE body and any Nikon / Nikkor lenses. Things not popular today, will be back in style in the future, and great quality Nikon stuff will bring a good price. The silver N60 has little to no value, and probably never will.
Thanks for bringing back good memories!

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 143 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, potato masher flashes!!! Those were the days. The cam on the left is probably worth a bit mote than the newer one on the right but not by much. Just scan eBay to get an idea of approx prices. Someone taking a photography classes in high school might like it but that is all. Even specialized schools like NY's School of Visual Arts got rid of their film equipment and removed related classes from their catalog. They start at digital now. Shame. There are still high schools and come colleges that start with film, but not many.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My opinion- it's not worth the time it would take to sell.

You can have that FE serviced by a reputable shop like APS. They're second to none IMO.

Contemporary Nikkor glass can be found relatively cheaply. Keep the FE and mate it to a good lens. That's what I would do.

Thank you. That was going to be my next question: if it's something that I wanted to hold on to who would I send it to for service? Need to hit up APS to see what they have to say.

Complacency sucks…

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you can't get me wet prints out of a roll of Tri-X in less than 30 minutes, you are not a photographer.

Digital, my ass.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Need to hit up APS to see what they have to say.
They're quite helpful on the phone but of course they will tell you they must see the camera in order to make a determination.

I'd find a used Nikkor AI-S 50mm f1.4. Sharp as a tack, and a natural for that FE.

Most people have no idea how well-built that FE is (and the FM as well). Metal chassis, and the camera will function with no battery (at 1/90th sec only, no meter). Don't sell it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for good Nikon film cameras. If you're interested in parting with the FE, let me know!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Yes, that FE is worth keeping. Film is coming back, slowly but surely.
I started on film in 1989. Many nights spent developing and printing in hotel rooms, for newspaper coverage.
Those were the days.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I've been looking for good Nikon film cameras. If you're interested in parting with the FE, let me know!
Don't do that, please. You know better. Go to ebay. There are plenty of FEs to choose from.

The man's email address is in his profile, OK? Think before you post.

All these years in this forum, this rule has been strictly enforced, and some of you guys still pull stuff like this.

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I liquidate a lot of my gear with I finally went fully digital. I got .10cents on the dollar....4x5, glass, 120mm and all. Go look up on eBay to see auctions ended for you piece.

Cheers.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never throw anything away

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Don't do that, please. You know better. Go to ebay. There are plenty of FEs to choose from.

The man's email address is in his profile, OK? Think before you post.

All these years in this forum, this rule has been strictly enforced, and some of you guys still pull stuff like this.

Sorry Para.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
A more appropriate response:

The Nikon FE still has value - the classic Nikons (pre-plastic) are still sought-out. If you go the ebay route, and try to sell it as a 'buy it now', you could maybe expect $150 with the lens, but it might take months to sell. If you do an auction, it would probably get bids, but might only go as high as $90-$100.

The N-60 is more of an entry-level plastic/electronic camera. Every camera manufacturer in the 90's and 2000's produced cameras just like this, and the used-market demand is much lower for these types of cameras. That's not to say it won't sell, it will just be a little harder to sell.

If you have local online classifieds, you might have good luck selling your gear there, especially if you mark it down from the sometimes inflated ebay prices.

If you decide to keep it for whatever reason, have some fun with it! Buy a couple of rolls of Ilford HP-5+ (much cheaper than the beloved classic Kodak Tri-X) here, and learn to develop it yourself - it's not hard, doesn't even require a dedicated darkroom (you can even buy a special changing bag for under $20). I suspect your grandpa would be very proud of you for keeping that tradition alive. There are also labs who will develop your film and digitally scan the negatives for you if you want to go that route.

Film isn't dead - in fact, since being 'discovered' by all the artsy hipsters, it's enjoying a small renaissance, and the Nikon FE enjoys a very solid reputation on the used camera scene.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's a Nikkor AI-S 50mm f1.4 graded as excellent by the very good folks at KEH.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon...l-focus-lens-52.html

One of the things I love about KEH is their grading system, which is weighted towards the buyer, not the seller. That is to say- if they grade an item as Excellent, you can be sure it is just that, and if they grade it as Excellent+, you'll be looking at what is essentially a new item.

Assuming there are no real problems with that FE, getting it serviced and mating it to the lens above would cost you less than 500 bucks total.

And if that Sunpak still works, you'd have a heck of a classic setup.

By the way- for those familiar with KEH, did you know that they moved from their Atlanta location and are now in the same office park as Glock? As a matter of fact, KEH is next door to Glock. This tickles my funnybone, two places that mean a lot to me, ending up side by side.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I can hear the loud discharge followed by whine of recharge of that Sunpack all the way over here. Shot a lot on college yearbook staff, I still have one of those in bag I think but seriously doubt it would charge.

"Hey, Zapman!"

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have a FE around somewhere, accompanied by an N-70. Were my common companions on all tours back in the 1980s.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post