SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    soviet mars pistol

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
soviet mars pistol Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...sian-space-revolver/

Something cool they created for their astronauts to carry. Cylinder over barrel position allows for longer barrel length.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I never knew of such a thing.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
So why they even needed a gun for astronauts? The main purpose of such а gun is the survival role. The need of such firearm became clear when in 1965 “Voskhod-2” spacecraft had to do an emergency landing. The two crew members of Voskhod-2 had to wait two days until they were found and evacuated. So when you land in the middle of nowhere, you need something to hunt with and defend yourself from predators. At that time astronauts were issued Makarov pistols, which didn’t fit the survival gun role very well. In 1979 Alexey Leonov (the same man who first was in the open space) officially pointed the need of such a gun.

Interesting article.

Although, it's not really a 'space gun;' in that it wasn't designed to be used IN space. It's a really neat design, though. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I think Leonov mentions this in his book Two Sides of the Moon. (iirc)

But I have never seen a picture of it, what an awesome piece of history and I am glad they have it in the museum. Thanks for a fun read this AM

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Interesting article.

Although, it's not really a 'space gun;' in that it wasn't designed to be used IN space.

That distinction belongs to the Rikhter R-23 23mm autocannon, known to have been mounted on at least one Soviet space station (Salyut 3) and possibly more.

It was for protection against "American space-based interceptors". 32 rounds were provided. The gun was test-fired during one of the missions.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So it's a Soviet cosmonaut SURVIVAL gun, not a "space" gun. Didn't the original M-16 start out this way as a survival rifle for USAF pilots?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Didn't the original M-16 start out this way as a survival rifle for USAF pilots?

No, that's a separate, earlier Armalite design: the AR-5. This was a bolt action takedown rifle designed by George Sullivan in 1954, and adopted by the USAF in 1956 as the MA-1 survival rifle.

The M-16/AR-15 was based on the AR-10, an unrelated rifle designed by Eugene Stoner for Armalite starting in 1955.

Prototype AR-10s:

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I stll like these - the newer ones had a loop covering the "trigger". The older ones you could use with heavy mittens on. 22Hornet / .410 combo.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ The Russian version came out looking a little more like the Savage 24.

http://www.bluebookofgunvalues..._94_410_Bore_Rimfire

Which is a little odd. I think a three-barrel combo in 5.45x39 and some odd metric shotgun round finally made the cut, and there had to be a better buttstock for it than a sheathed machete with a funky blade shape.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I just get a kick out the swing-out bayonet on it!

Damn Russians will put a knife on anything!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue, your wealth of knowledge is always worth the read.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Report This Post