SIGforum
Who makes a good t-handle Allen and/or Torx wrench set?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6620081894

January 26, 2023, 09:01 AM
SigM4
Who makes a good t-handle Allen and/or Torx wrench set?
Don't need uber-high quality, but something better than the $8.99 sets found on Amazon. Bonus if the Allens are ball-end type.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
January 26, 2023, 09:08 AM
bronsht
Bondhus makes good sets inc ball ends.
January 26, 2023, 09:10 AM
Fly-Sig
Eklind have worked well for me.
January 26, 2023, 09:11 AM
Sig2340
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Don't need uber-high quality, but something better than the $8.99 sets found on Amazon. Bonus if the Allens are ball-end type.

My cheap Chinese Harbor Freight T-handle Allen wrenches work great.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
January 26, 2023, 09:20 AM
Mustang-PaPa
I have quite a few sets of Bondhus as well and they are good quality.

This is one tool you don't want to go cheap on. Bad, cheap or worn will screw up what your working on every time.
January 26, 2023, 09:32 AM
bcereuss
Not cheap, but I can vouch for the quality. wiha.
January 26, 2023, 09:32 AM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
Eklind have worked well for me.

Not T-handle, but happy with my Eklind allens
Standard 90* bend style, ball end on the longer leg, square end on the short.

The Enemy's gate is down.
January 26, 2023, 09:41 AM
bdylan
Bondhus
January 26, 2023, 09:53 AM
Georgeair
quote:

Yeah, these tools are addictive. Thanks y'all, another financial leak....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

January 26, 2023, 09:53 AM
stoic-one
I use Bondhus, 1/4" drive ball tips or straight for insertion and removal.
You really shouldn't use the ball tips for torque applications, they cam out easier, and can, in theory break the tips off... I use Wiha t-handles or L sets for torquing, depending on clearances.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
January 26, 2023, 10:39 AM
220-9er
Look for something not made in CCP land for starters.
Cheap and good don't usually don't go together.

These might be another option and are made in the USA too. When I find something I like on Amazon, I check around for better prices. Sometimes they are competitive and sometimes they are much higher.

https://www.amazon.com/Eklind-...ll-Hex/dp/B000189RA0

January 26, 2023, 10:45 AM
iron chef
Eklind isn't bad. They're made in USA and make Allen & Torx wrenches for many other brands that slap their names on them.

Bondhus is better, also made in USA. I like their Comfort grip handles.

In my experience, especially w/ small size screws, the brands that have the best fit, least slop, and least likely to round out or strip are Wiha, Wera, & PB Swiss.

I'm not picky about ball-head wrenches, b/c as stoic put it, you don't use ball-head for high-torque-for-fastener size applications. They're built for speed, not strength.

Although these are for L-shape wrenches, the testing gives a good idea about the quality differences between different brands.

January 26, 2023, 10:56 AM
benny6
Bhondus. I've used them for years with no complaints. It took me maybe 10 years to break my 3mm ball end driver after using it many times on a weekly basis. Many of those times was to break loose screws that were glued in with ceramic thread locker (non-outgassing for laser optics). It was one of those screws that finally did it in.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
January 26, 2023, 11:08 AM
nhracecraft
Bondhus will serve you VERY well. I've got Bondhus Metric and SAE sets that I've had since the 90's, and I don't expect to have to replace them...Ever! Cool

I've also got some Facom SK 'P-handles' (Metric, SAE & Torx) I like to use when more precision or a finer touch/feel is required for the final 'hand torquing', or loosening of certain fasteners. They're from the early 2000's, back when Facom was a major tool supplier to the F1 Teams...Unfortunately, their offering is not what it once was since being acquired by Stanley Black & Decker! Frown

Those Wiha sets sure are nice though... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
January 26, 2023, 11:19 AM
pedropcola
For torx I use Wiha. I take apart a bunch of knives and you need good tools
January 26, 2023, 01:04 PM
SigM4
Thanks all. Will likely go with Bondhus. A few of you pointed out and I appreciate it that the ball end isn't for high torque uses, which is one reason I'm looking at the t-handle sets. The other being the longer shaft length.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
January 26, 2023, 01:08 PM
corsair
If you're looking for long-lasting investment, go with Wiha. Like Festool tools, they're an investment if you value high-quality or, your work requires precision.
January 26, 2023, 09:38 PM
maladat
The Bondhus t-handle ball end hex wrenches I got a few years ago are junk and slip and skip in high quality fasteners that none of my other hex wrenches, ball end or standard, have ever had the slightest problem with.

Maybe most of them are fine and I just got a bum set, but they are the single worst set of ball end hex wrenches I have ever laid hands on.

In my experience, Wiha hex wrenches are OK as except for small sizes (2mm and smaller) which are useless (don’t know if they’re undersized or the corners are too dull or what but they slip).

I have a bunch of PB Swiss that have always been excellent and some Wera that have also been excellent.
January 26, 2023, 09:47 PM
nhracecraft
^^^Fakes?? Never ever heard anyone speak badly of their experience with Bondhus tools!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
January 26, 2023, 10:04 PM
cparktd
Project Farm tested allen wrenches. Not tee handle version, but would likely apply.

https://youtu.be/oTBiPjCeVwI

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.