SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electricians a question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electricians a question Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted
Pressure washed the pollen off the house which is a task completed every spring. I stay away from lights and outlets i don't intentionally spray them

All the electrical on the patio is out a ceiling fan on a switch, outlet, outdoor light fixture.

No breakers tripped
I checked the breakers with a multimeter all show 120v
I've taken the switches and outlet out if the boxes and looked for any wires being hot but none are?
I thought a switch or outlet went bad.
If I have 120v at the breaker how do I find this?

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked all of your GFI outlets to be sure none were tripped? Look closely for any hidden ones, like behind shelving in a garage or behind appliances.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a plumber, but I also would check for GFI outlets that are tripped.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Agree with the above. Just happened to me.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I would check your outdoor outlet first, as it likely is a GFCI.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be the GFI is bad. I have had to replace several over the years. If you can't find the tripped GFI Start pulling outlets.

I would start and pull the dead outlet closest to the breaker box. Test behind it if you have voltage replace it. Keep going until you find the tripped/bad GFI.

It Could also be a disconnected wire or bad switch/outlet. I had a switch go bad after 14 years because the electrician was lazy and used the push in holes in the back and pushed it in too hard. Over time the switch separated and no longer worked.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
GFi's first. If that's not the problem, start checking at any junction boxes between the breaker and outlet.
I agree, GFI is the most likely suspect.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yeah, GFCI. I had a light go out in the basement and couldn't get it to come back on. Apparently, the GFCI in the upstairs bathroom tripped and the light was downstream on that circuit. So you have to check all of them.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yep, GFI.

What year was your house built? It will tell me where to look for it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Triple-check that you are bothering the correct breaker.

Loosen the screw on the breaker and make sure the insulation is stripped far enough back on the wire. Tighten the screw down on the bare wire solidly.

Test the outlet on the outside of the house. Voltage in and out?

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
You are most likely missing the GFI receptacle that feeds the rest of the circuit in question. It was often placed in a bathroom back when...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
...looked for any wires being hot but none are?

Just wondering what method you used for this? Seen plenty of people thinking they had no power when they really had no neutral.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
As others said, GFI.

I had the same problem on my patio after spraying the whole thing off a few years back.

Traced it back to a GGI that was in the other end of the house in the garage.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Yep GFI.

Such a dumbass spent way to much time looking for this. Wife got a good chuckle.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
It'll be easier next time! Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Been there, found a GFI at the back of a angled corner cabinet that I didn’t know was there.

Worst part, we had been in this house fourteen years and didn’t know there was even an outlet there!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post