SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Received a Phone Call From My Local LEO Re: a Pistol I Reported Stolen in 2016 (Not Recovered)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Received a Phone Call From My Local LEO Re: a Pistol I Reported Stolen in 2016 (Not Recovered) Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Looking at this from the other direction. A stolen gun from out of state gets recovered in some big anti-gun city (NY, Chicago, LA, etc.). I would assume they'd automatically run it through the NCIC to check if it's stolen. What do they do if it is. Do hey alert the local PD who entered it. Do they return the gun? I'd find the last one at least, highly unlikely.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
《Snip》

I then close it back out until the next time. Most stolen guns are traded for dope, and then taken to a major city and traded for dope again. They then get sold on the street. So, there are no real “updates”.

This is common as well. We get hits most often from Chicago. CPD will send us a hit confirmation. After we receive the confirmation, I usually follow up with the detective working it, obtain a copy of their report, and make contact with my victim to let them know of the recovery. A year or two later, we generally get the gun back and return it to the victim. In some instances, where the gun is recovered and no suspect is located, we get it back quicker. IE- some calls of a disturbance, everyone flees, and a gun is located under a parked car.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I had a Swiss pistol stolen from my FJ in Knoxville after they bashed windows (while family and I were inside a restaurant having a meal)and tried to jimmy the door. Turned up a couple of weeks later in Indianapolis. Will be 2 years this summer. Last update I got was it was with ATF. Wonder how long it takes them to research it. Given it was new to me and bad guys only had it too weeks I’d say chances they get a hit may be small. Still waiting hoping it’ll come back and I can buy it back from insurance.

Posts: 6016 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do they do if it is. Do hey alert the local PD who entered it.

If they get a hit on a firearm run through the Gun File, it automatically generates a Locate message which is sent to the originating agency.

It's up to that agency to make contact, verify that it is the same firearm (as SN's are not unique).

Return depends on the circumstances. If it's involved in a crime, it's not going anywhere until the case is over and possibly until any possible appeal is completed.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post