SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    magnetic mag holders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

magnetic mag holders Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Just wondering if they make the mag magnetic?
that might make them attract metal chips or small pebbles (with iron content) when dropping them on the ground.

I want to put a couple strips in the safe to store the mags.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting question.

I have one double mag pouch with magnets that I leave magazines in all the time. I just checked one of the mags and it didn’t attract anything as small as a wire staple. Usually, though, magnetization is imparted by rubbing a magnet back and forth on the object, so perhaps that might happen if the magazine was in and out of the pouch frequently. I’d be curious to know because I’m about ready to get rid of the pouch I have because of its effect on using a compass. If the magazines became magnetized as well, that would definitely be something to avoid.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Seems like it would depend on the exact composition of the steel used in the mags. I am not a metallurgest, but IIRC, steels can vary greatly in their magnetic properties. A little google.research, which I am too lazy/disinterested to do at the moment, should turn up some relevant details (not that the magazine manufacturers routinely disclose what steels they use in any case). Perhaps a little additional experimentation would be enlightening.

Posts: 6473 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel magazines (such as 1911) would be weakly magnetic in some alloys.

Unless your range allows steel core ammo, I doubt the attractive forces would be more than the typical grease/grime dust collecting attraction my magazines have.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
then of course you will need a a bag to carry your mag mag, be sure to attache your name on said bag,
so, a mag mag bag with a tag.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post