SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insulation costs and techniques - Fiberglass Batts vs. Sprayed Foam?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insulation costs and techniques - Fiberglass Batts vs. Sprayed Foam? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I'm reasonably certain the sprayed foam would be more expensive but I'd appreciate any input on about how much more.

Certainly would be faster/easier (assuming I can find an applicator that can fit me into his schedule) and I'm hearing it's more efficient in terms of R Factor. I only have 2x4 walls.

Another question: The building has a 5/12 gable roof with tin over 2x4 wood purlins. I plan to suspend a ceiling at the top of the 8 foot walls both to make it easier to heat and to help with lighting (It'll be painted white). If I do traditional unfaced batts on top of the ceiling I'm worried about condensation from the tin soaking the batts. Would it make more sense to spray-foam the back of the tin and not put batts over the ceiling?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I looked into this for an investment property I was rehabbing several years back. For that use spray foam was prohibitively more expensive. But I don't pay heat for the apartments.

If it were a house I was going to be living in, the increased price might have been worth it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the difference in cost but foam is quite a bit more expensive but has been worth it to me. It fills voids and does an incredibly good job. Also a small layer on the bottom of your roof would help or eliminate any condensation issue.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
PHPaul, the contractor that built my barn used a rolled vinyl back insulation stapled to the purlins to carry the condensation to the outside walls. The insulation is 1 1/2” so not much value but it does prevent drips. You could then use batt insulation over a drop ceiling.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
PHPaul, the contractor that built my barn used a rolled vinyl back insulation stapled to the purlins to carry the condensation to the outside walls. The insulation is 1 1/2” so not much value but it does prevent drips. You could then use batt insulation over a drop ceiling.

Interesting. Fully encased, or vinyl side to the metal?

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:

Interesting. Fully encased, or vinyl side to the metal?

Not fully encased, vinyl backed fiberglass, insulation against metal. Actually stapled to the top of purlins (went down and took a look to refresh memory) and the edges sealed to prevent leaks. Might be hard to retro fit under existing metal but you have shown genius before. Big Grin

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Another thought that occurred to me is "Silverboard". Metal foil on both sides over a expanded foam interior. Not a lot of R-value, but would definitely solve the condensation problem. Probably use foil tape on the joints.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’d spray under the roof 6” thick or more with closed cell foam. After it cured, I’d spray that with white paint.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to properly ventilate the attic space you're creating to eliminate the moisture problem?

Thing is: If you get moisture gathering in there it's not only the R-value of the insulation that will be a problem. Mold will occur and your structural members may start to rot.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
7 years ago we had a house built and I had them use closed cell spray insulation in the exterior walls, builder had me pony up $3000 up front. Dude also sprayed the wall between the MBR and the rest of the house and the wall to the MBR bathroom for sound insulation...he didn’t charge me, I was there the day they were spraying...so two more 14’ walls and 8 foot high as well as the exterior of a 2300 square house....

In our Texas house we were not there when it was built, we bought it almost at the end of the construction and it was already dried in and spray insulation was not feasible...I wish we had gotten it as the spray insulation is much quieter- totally worth it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Another thought that occurred to me is "Silverboard". Metal foil on both sides over a expanded foam interior. Not a lot of R-value, but would definitely solve the condensation problem. Probably use foil tape on the joints.

The ridged board would be a lot easier to install than the rolled blanket insulation.

NRA
Georgia Carry

posted Hide Post
Spray foam, spray foam, spray foam... oh, did I mention spray foam?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My spray insulation ran by the sq ft and by thickness and R factor. I went with foam

R-30 open cell 2x10 $2.00 sq/ft open cell
R21 in 2x6 was $1.65 sq/ft open cell
2x10 R38 was $2.78 Open Cell
2x8 R38 closed foam was about $2.98 Sq/ft

Pay back was 3 years in savings over old crappy mix of insulation in the house.

House was built around 1910 and had a mixed of whatever they were using at the time of various repairs.

Batt insulation quote

R38 batt is $1.60 Sq ft
R30 batt is $1.40 sq ft
R21 batt is $1.35 sq ft all installed
Installation was the same per batt.
Price difference was only materiel

Prices are from 8/2019 and prices are going a little nuts at the moment.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
We did Spray Foam on roof, batten between rooms for sound and Mylar reflective on furring strips behind Drywall to reflect heat from Cinder blocks. Construction is concrete and cinder blocks.

House is a sealed design - no soffits. Worth it times x1000. Had an 1800 sqft house old school insulation but new AC and heaters…electric costs the same in a 5K sqft house with spray foam, etc. The spray foam and design is well worth it.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Good information so far.

One thing to remember here folks: This is a shed that will be a work shop, not a house. Different goals to some extent, MUCH different goals on costs.

posted Hide Post
I used closed cell foam on my cabin and it's been great. No drafts, helps with noise, and actually adds strength to the building.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
My brother built a 50'x 30' pole building ten years ago. He purchased enough spray foam kits to spray the whole interior. We sprayed the ceiling and all the walls sealing the interior. That first winter we had very cold weather resulting in many weeks below zero. We were able to work comfortably in the shop. Since then, we've hooked up the radiant floor heat.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
As an ENERGY STAR Certified builder I would like to pass along some information that seems lacking here.

First, there are two kinds of foam insulation; open cell and closed cell. Open cell is like your kitchen sponge to an extent and has an R value of about 3.8 per inch. Closed cell insulation has small air pockets that are not pourous and has an R value of about 6.5 to 7 per inch.

The R value of standard fiberglass insulation is the same as open cell insulation but is easily half the cost. That is a fact. This is assuming that the fiberglass installation is a Class 1 install.

Closed cell insulation is 3 to 4 times the cost of fiberglass insulation and is not cost effective as the sole insulation in a structure. However, where closed cell shines is in its ability to effectively seal the surface its applied to creating a fantastic barrier. What most people don’t realize is to effectively insulate a home you have to do an excellent job of creating an effective air barrier first.

In our homes we have found the most effective way to insulate a home it to first spray about 1/2” of closed cell foam onto the interior side of the sheathing followed by properly installing fiberglass insulation. I have achieved an ACH of as low as 0.75 with this method.

As for Pauls project using fiberglass insulation is his best option since it’s just a shed.

PS. If you really want to go down this rabbit hole here is a video produced by the National Association of Insulation Manufacturers Association (NAIMA) where they interview me and my insulation contractor in one of our homes and explains some of the details we address. ( it was in the upper 90’s on the day they shot this so pardon my sweating!).

https://youtu.be/eL63W5nEgAU

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thank you, smlsig. Exactly the sort of concise and specific information I was looking for.

I'd pretty much come to that conclusion myself. Turns out that Owens-Corning isn't producing batts for 2x4 on 24" center walls - not enough demand. I "upgraded" to Roxol batts due to availability.

I'm going to put 1" blue board foam in the rafter bays to cut down on condensation and channel what does accumulate out the eaves. I'll also put 6" of unfaced fiberglass in the ceiling joist bays.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We couldn’t fit it in the plant, but I remember something about ideally we would have the radiant barrier between the rafter and purloins

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post