SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alaska fishing advise needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska fishing advise needed Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
Hi SF gurus.
We are planning an extended trip to Alaska next summer and want to go salmon fishing several times if possible.

I’m looking for any lure suggestions and any locations you’d like to share or any other advise you may care to share.

We’ll be there from about June 1 through August and will be traveling in our truck camper so our schedule is very flexible.

Thanks!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to hire a guide for the first day and see what they're using and where they're going. I think it would be money well spent if you're serious about catching.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You might want to hire a guide for the first day and see what they're using and where they're going. I think it would be money well spent if you're serious about catching.

This. You going to fish rivers I assume? Bank fishing or boat? When I troll from a boat on the ocean, I use a downrigger and put a strip of herring inside a (double hook) hoochie, trailing a flasher. But, if you are casting from a river bank it's different. Also, are you fly fishing or bait fishing? Different games altogether.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Lived in Anchorage 5 years (‘09-‘14) which included 5 fishing seasons, and had frequent business trips back to Alaska ‘14 thru mid ‘16. To be blunt, you need to focus your question better for 4 reasons:
  • Alaska is 2.2 times larger than Texas
  • I have never seen a more confusing set of fishing rules/regulations in my life. Different rules for regions, specific rivers in a region, etc. If anybody answers your question as written put them on your ignore list because if you follow it you’ll likely end up with a ticket.
  • On top of the above, ADF&G issues temporary rules constantly during fishing season. If you’re river fishing, you need to check their website the night before
  • ADF&G wildlife officers walk along river banks with a 12-gauge in one hand (for bears) and a ticket book in the other hand (for fishermen).

IMO, lobbyists for Alaska fishing guides push for this to get more people to fish with a guide and the state happily goes along so they can make more money writing tickets.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Alaska fishing, recall the actual fishing fondly, and dream of doing it again.

It’s a little dated but here is the "what to do in South Central Alaska" document I used to send to visitors

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    Be sure to pack enough gun for the fish you are after.

Yes, the guides, especially for halibut and similar fishes, pop'em with a .357 mag, a 10mm Auto, or a 12 gauge before letting them on the boat.

It's the only way to know for sure.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    drop and give me
    20 pushups
    posted Hide Post
    congratulations on the trip of a lifetime.... make sure you follow the fish/game rules and regulations to the letter of the law .. I saw a ALASKA GAME WARDEN shoot what he thought was a bull moose when it was actually 3 seperate animals-- found guilty but suspeneded sentence. On several events had bears come out and take my fish laying on the riverbank and with a 44mag on my hip just moved off and let them enjoy .I was in the DELTA JUNCTION/ FT.GREELY/ FIRBANKS areas from winter 1973 to fall of 1977... saw locals as well as outsiders get into more trouble for fish/game laws than for killing another human... also consider a sidearm of suitable caliber for critters be they two or four legged kind... just be careful if traveling in your camper thru CANADA... they are NOT GUN FRIENDLY......get a copy of 'MILEPOST"-- book about the ALCAN HIGHWAY mile by mile as to what to expect along the road... possibly other less traveled routes.. ENJOY the trip of a lifetime...... BUG REPELANT AND PLENTY OF IT.....DO NOT GET BETWEEN MOMMA AND HER YOUNG BE THEY MOOSE/ CARIBO/ BEARS OR WHATEVERY ...........drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Official Space Nerd
    Picture of Hound Dog
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:

+1. Locals have a knack for knowing what the fish are biting on (and this can vary day to day/hour by hour).

When I was in Alaska in 1995-6, Milepost was excellent. Also, as drill sgt said, pay close attention to fish and game rules. They can confiscate your gun(s) and vehicle if they find you breaking the rules.

Fear God and Dread Nought
    Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Jack of All Trades,
    Master of Nothing
    Picture of 2000Z-71
    posted Hide Post
    Go here, start researching now.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov

As others have stated the Game & Fish regs up here are confusing, fines are high and it's easy to get in trouble. Regulations can vary on the same river depending on location, they even get down to what size hooks are legal in certain areas. Regs can also change on a moments notice when fish and game opens and closes seasons depending on conditions. Licenses are also expensive for out of staters. There's also a lot of opportunities for residents that are closed to out of staters. Time of year also has a bg impact as different species of salmon run at different times of the year. Typically Kings are the most desirable and they tend to run in early July.

The Kenai peninsula is probably the most accessible and more popular. The Kenai and Russian Rivers are the two big ones down there. It's also known for combat fishing, literally standing hip to hip on the bank with other fisherman.

For the first time up here, I'd recommend a guide. If for nothing else to keep you legal. Another recommendation is to get in on a charter boat and hit the salt water. You can fish for salmon, halibut, ling cod and rock fish. It also gets you out on the water and you'll probably see things like whales, sea lions and seals. The most popular towns for for charters are Seward, Homer and Whittier.

Most of all, have fun, it's a big state full of adventure.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11778 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Rumors of my death
    are greatly exaggerated
    Picture of coloradohunter44
    posted Hide Post
    I've done road trips up/down the Kenai peninsula in June, July but not August. Probably fished up there 10-12 different trips. The Kenai Kings have been ruined. They micro manage some of it, but they have been severally overfished. You can fish the Russian for reds, there are 2 or 3 runs each summer. They also have silver runs, I've never been their late enough for those on the Kenai.

Reds, or sockeye, don't feed. You basically snag them in the mouth or release them if hooked elsewhere. They have very specific sized hooks for this, but once you get the technique down, you'll catch fish. Silvers attack or feed, so they can be much easier to catch. I've only fished for them out in King Salmon, while on "work trips".

Good hip or better yet chest waders are necessary. Plenty of charter folks out of Homer or Ninilchik will take you out for Kings, Silver, or halibut whatever is in season. I'd plan $300 a day for that, maybe more.

Get on some websites and start reading. You'll find tons more info there.

Good luck, I'm sure others will chime in to help you out as well.

Here's a nice silver from the King Salmon area.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10910 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    We live in Cordova, moved up here in June and the fishing is excellent, but laws are confusing.

We drove through Canada from Mississippi in our truck camper with a 12ga shotgun and a 1911 9mm, (both declared at boarder)if you need any advice feel free to email me.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    OK guys, perhaps a little clarification is in order...

Yes, I know that the regulations are confusing and will require last minute confirmation. I had planned to do this. My wife's brother was almost thrown in jail when he was 10 because of his fishing behavior many years ago and I would assume that things have only gotten more strict.

Yes we will go out with a guide at least once if not twice. We plan on going after Halibut and Kings with a guide.

As has been referred to above, I think our best bet would be to try an target some Silvers or Coho by ourselves from the bank if possible and this is where I was hoping for some advise.

I have literally been inundated with emails from various charters all wanting us to make reservations ahead of time. Well I'm not going to do that as I'm sure the day we make a reservation will be the day the run is over etc. What I'm hoping to do, if possible, is to find a qualified guide to take us out on short notice. Is this possible?

Thanks to those who have sent advise/links.

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Never miss an
    opportunity to STFU
    posted Hide Post
    I go up to Nippigon area above Lake Superior. We fish out of a 14 or 16 foot aluminum with motor. I have always done well with blue and silver Lil Cleos. They work there and at the Great Lakes for me. Good luck.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Rumors of my death
    are greatly exaggerated
    Picture of coloradohunter44
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by smlsig:
    OK guys, perhaps a little clarification is in order...

Yes, I know that the regulations are confusing and will require last minute confirmation. I had planned to do this. My wife's brother was almost thrown in jail when he was 10 because of his fishing behavior many years ago and I would assume that things have only gotten more strict.

Yes we will go out with a guide at least once if not twice. We plan on going after Halibut and Kings with a guide.

As has been referred to above, I think our best bet would be to try an target some Silvers or Coho by ourselves from the bank if possible and this is where I was hoping for some advise.

I have literally been inundated with emails from various charters all wanting us to make reservations ahead of time. Well I'm not going to do that as I'm sure the day we make a reservation will be the day the run is over etc. What I'm hoping to do, if possible, is to find a qualified guide to take us out on short notice. Is this possible?

Send me an email with your phone number if you’d like. I’d be happy to tell you more about gear etc. I just didn’t want to type it all up here. Too much for my iPhone right now. Address in profile

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10910 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by smlsig:

This isn’t on the link I posted earlier. In 2014, I rented a RV and both camped in their campground and did float charters with them. The king charter was completely worth it as we started in the clear blue water by the glacier and floated back to the camp ground. The red charter was not worth it since we stayed in the dirtier water and the free fishing 15’ in front of the RV was just as good. The campground is on the Klutina river about a mile upstream of where it joins the world famous Copper river.

The above was completely last minute as I had planned to spend the week in Valdez, but the mountains around Valdez were trapping in a storm and it was raining cats & dogs. On the other side of the mountain was beautiful weather so I left Valdez early. I booked everything on a days notice. YMMV and I can’t promise open camp spots or seats in a float charter.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 229DAK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
  • I have never seen a more confusing set of fishing rules/regulations in my life. Different rules for regions, specific rivers in a region, etc. If anybody answers your question as written put them on your ignore list because if you follow it you’ll likely end up with a ticket.
  • On top of the above, ADF&G issues temporary rules constantly during fishing season. If you’re river fishing, you need to check their website the night before.
  • ADF&G wildlife officers walk along river banks with a 12-gauge in one hand (for bears) and a ticket book in the other hand (for fishermen).

• ^^^^^ This! 1,000x!

And don't expect them to wear uniforms, either.

I lived there for four years while in the Army (Fort Richardson).

Posts: 9056 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
    Regulations can vary on the same river depending on location, they even get down to what size hooks are legal in certain areas.
    Here is a story to emphasize 2000Z-71‘s point.

In ‘10, I had some friends in town and they wanted to go combat fishing on the world famous Russian River. We drove to Sportsman's Landing Russian River Ferry near Cooper Landing, AK, and took the “ferry” across. It was shoulder to shoulder (ie combat fishing) downstream so we headed upstream. We ran into an ADF&G officer who informed us fishing was closed the next 400 yards but was legal after that. We hauled our shit for 5 min and thought we had gone 400 yards so we donned our waders, went down one of the aluminum stairs into the river, and began fishing. Next thing we know we’re being yelled at by the same officer. There was no closed sign on the stairs or anywhere else and we were more than 400 yards from first interaction. One of the guys in the group is a full time missionary (ie much nicer than me) and he spoke with the officer so we only wound up with a verbal warning. We hiked another 800 yards to the “legal” fishing (no sign here either) and began fishing trouble free.

drop and give me
    20 pushups
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sjp:
    We live in Cordova, moved up here in June and the fishing is excellent, but laws are confusing.

We drove through Canada from Mississippi in our truck camper with a 12ga shotgun and a 1911 9mm, (both declared at boarder)if you need any advice feel free to email me.
    winter 1973 at the CANADIAN border they were ok with my hunting rifle but the 357mag pistol and ammo was placed in clear plastic bag sealed with a serial numbered seal and warned that if needed for any reason that seal was broken that I had to immedately find a RCMP (COP) and explain why seal was broken and that at the other border they already had a card with my info so after presenting sealed weapon that all would be ok. was traveling in my private auto for military reassignment to FT. GREELY/ DELTA JUNCTION .........drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post