SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long should a performer be expected to play at a concert?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long should a performer be expected to play at a concert? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Went to ZZ Top at Starlight Theater in KC last night, got the cheap seats, $35 plus $12 fees. Uncle Kracker was the opening act, at least 15 minutes late when the stage was set up and ready well before listed start time. He played about 45 minutes. Then the headliner ZZ Top plays for 70-75 minutes total not including the break for the teaser encore set.

Good performance but a little suprised none of the musicians did any prolonged solos. I thought 70-75 minutes of playing was a little short. Disappointed I didn't get to hear "Rough Boy" but I suppose you can't expect hear everything you want.

Think this is a little short? Do certain performers have a reputation for short shows?

Also don't understand when the show is apparently over and the PA goes to some unknown music, they tease the audience by not turning the house lights on when obviously they aren't coming back out.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Seems short(ish), since it's an amphitheater, do they have a cutoff time?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6218 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I think 70-75 minutes is about average, as is about 45 minutes for an opening act. Of course, some bands are known for extended sets, e.g. the Dead who would often play for four days (or maybe it just felt like that). Most of my band watching these days in in clubs where the headliner will play multiple sets, usually about 50-60 minutes each.

WRT the end-of-the-performance routine, one "encore" is automatic these days, but crowd enthusiasm can encourage/convince the band and promoter to allow another, or even two. Some venues are more encouraging of this than others, as are certain bands. There are plenty where the staff just wants to go home.

Posts: 6488 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These guys are old and they were probably playing past their bedtime.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I would have hoped for 90 minutes+, though I've never seen ZZ Top. Now that Dusty is gone, I think I'd pass anyway.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
saw ZZ twice back in the 90's ,but do not remember how long they played,

excellent shows tho,

may have been an event deadline, or not,

I've seen The English Beat 7 or 8 times, and the last concert a few months ago was just shy of 90 minutes (opener was the usual 40-45)

which is typical, but there is usually at least one encore of a couple songs,

nope, last song played maybe 15 songs, last song , said good night and exited stage left,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I just saw the Smashing Pumpkins in Albuquerque on Sunday. The TWO opening bands played for over 2 1/2 hours before they took the stage. I wasn’t happy. I had to get up to go to work the next morning.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I always thought an hour was reasonable. The length of many albums. Of course that was back in the days of $12 concerts. Some people paying several hundred might feel a little differently.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Willie Nelson used to play until his audience collapses, if he’s having a good night.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I grew up going to punk concerts in shitty run down clubs at the oceanfront that are now razed.

About 35-45 minutes in the pit was good for me when it came to the headliner. Punk songs are pretty fast and short though… and most of us had been having a blast and enjoying the opening acts.

Man I miss the Abyss at VA Beach and the Boathouse in Norfolk VA (one of the most violent venues/concerts I’ve ever attended where I saw someone get the everlasting shit kicked out of them for being an asshole on the “dance floor”/ mosh pit, Relative Ash, Glass Jaw, Powerman 5000, Static X, Disturbed and Chevelle were quite memorable) and the insane punk concerts that occurred there. It’s an era that’s probably not gonna come back soon given the shittastic state of current punk rock. And the PC woke mind virus fucking up punk rock (NOFX is a great example of cognitive dissonance and drugs rotting the brain).

Best show I ever saw at Va Beach was Goldfinger. Man that was fun. We all had fun trolling the band personally when they came back and became huge PETA fans. Big Grin

I don’t really care for large arena concerts as they are too impersonal and never get crazy enough or as fun as a small venue.

I want to be a able to yell at the band and have them respond to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21116 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Hate Bruce or not, when I saw him in '77 he played more than 3 hours. It was just before he got full of himself and got really preachy and after that, IMHO, his music went downhill.

It was quite a while ago but when I saw ZZ Top I think they played over 90 minutes with encores.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I saw Bob Dylan back around 1980 in college. He only played 3 songs. He was high and an asshole.

Posts: 9460 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I thought 120 minutes was the norm. Anything less and I'd feel cheated.

Dave Matthews Band has been my primary show for a number of years and they play a 2 1/2 hour set.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not at all for Z Z.
They are 180 years old
Did you have to use binoculars?
How loud was it ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything under 90 minutes I feel cheated a bit. If you can’t give more than hour you are definitely cheating the fans.

Posts: 964 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
I thought 120 minutes was the norm. Anything less and I'd feel cheated.

Dave Matthews Band has been my primary show for a number of years and they play a 2 1/2 hour set.

and that was just one song!!!

(I have not seen DMB but heard they play long, )

the shortest set I saw was Alison Krause, maybe 40 minutes, with a couple of breaks,

but not her fault, she was at the Mosque in RVA, and apparently had a bad lunch\dinner and gastric distress ended the show early,

most, in all honestly, of the shows I see, and I have seen quite a few , are 90+ minutes and an encore for the main act,

2 openers,, and they may get 30-45 minutes each,

some are just the headliner, no opening, and they are almost always 2+ hrs

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Jesus, 75 minutes for an old headliner seems like plenty. Hopefully they'd fill that with some others before which it sounds like they did.

Taylor Swift or TSO, more for sure, but I'd not expect that out of older bands.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I saw Def Leppard and Motley Crue last Sunday in Omaha, Alice Cooper opened but we didn't get there until the end of his set, which I gathered was an hour long. 30 mins between each group and Def Leppard and Motley Crue each played for 90 mins. Both started exactly on time. Def Leppard sounded good. Motley Crue was Motley Crue, you couldn't hear Vince that much because they were blaring everything else other than his vocals more. Alice Cooper was about the same.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Hate Bruce or not, when I saw him in '77 he played more than 3 hours.

Beat me to it.

Can't stand him or his music now, but was a fan back in the late 70s. Saw him a couple of times and he played over 3 hours each time. You definitely got your monies worth.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I was at a Ramones club show, it was a little less than an hour. I had no problem with it.

Elvis Costello in his early tours would play for 45 minutes at times.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post