SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1st cab ride in 30 years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st cab ride in 30 years Login/Join 
posted
Heading to the e.r. at 2 a.m. thought I was going to faint or pass out.
So I left my car at the urgent care , got an ambulance ride 7.3 miles to the hospital.

To day I got a cab to get back to my car at the urgent care.

$17.70 to go 7 miles.

When is the last time you had a cab ride?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
1993 Munich, Germany, 0400 local after playing several drinking games with a local in one of those basement bars.

Hoping you're OK, Bendable.

Reading Mike's post below reminded me of my Dad telling me about taking a cab in Port-au-Prince, Haiti in 1962 as a Marine Sgt. He said a guy in the street stopped the cab by holding up what appeared to be a GI 1911. He talked to the cab driver, the driver paid him, and they drove on. Dad asked him what the hell just happened. The driver explained that the guy was with the Tonton Macoute. A secret police, special ops kind of thing established by Papa Doc Duvalier. A man who ruled that nation essentially by waving a chicken bone around.

The cabbie then explained that the guy had pulled him over and 'taxed' him. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
2012 DC, we had both kids (one in a stroller), it was hot and we were both tired. Flagged a taxi near the Mall and went back to our hotel just under two miles away…couldn’t understand a word he said. He stank. I handed him a 20 and told him the address….we got there, it was totally worth not walking with a toddler in the heat for a few miles.

It reminded me of when I was in the service, and we took our lives into our hands by flagging a taxi in third world shitholes.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't taken a cab in years....ever since ride sharing (Uber, Lyft, etc...)came into existence, there's zero reason for me to 'hail a cab'.

The taxi industry failed to evolve with technology and more importantly, deal with it's short-comings (bad drivers, bad vehicles, confusing charges, drivers who couldn't communicate, etc) so, the market came up with a solution.

Hope you got the necessary attention at the ER and your health is stable?

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Probably 2015 in Spain.

But I have taken Uber rides recently when I dropped my car for maintenance.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
A real cab? Probably a couple months or so. I still use them in NYC and Vegas from time to time.

An Uber? Last Sunday. And I took a few dozen more over the last few weeks. I travel for work so I take a lot of them.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My last "real" cab ride was probably 15 or 20 years ago.

I use Uber now, quite frequently, just to move family cars around.

Funny you should mention cabs. I was recently talking to a friend about taxi cabs and the subject of the Checker Cab company came up.

I remembered riding in Checker Cabs in Chicago. I was a young man visiting Chicago for the first time and was surprised at the seat room in the Checker. Also rode the "L" if I recall the name properly, the train that ran all over on elevated tracks. That was so cool.

And as an aside, people sometimes ask the question, where were you, what were you doing, when Elvis died? We are in Chicago and took a cab to a nice enough restaurant named Sherlocks and enjoying our meal when we found out Elvis had just passed. (If you want to get an interesting conversation going, just ask where you guys were when Elvis died).

Now my curiosity is up, I feel the urge to learn more about the Checker Cabs.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Oct. 1974 in West Germany

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That's a bargain to get out alive.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12436 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Yesterday. Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables FL to MIA airport. Just under $26

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 2 years ago, airport to home.

My uber app wasn't working so grabbed a cab.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
About 20 years ago. Took one from Presidio Tx to Ojinaga Mexico with a friend who was getting dental work done cheap. We didn’t want to risk crossing the border in the pickup that might have had some ammunition in any of a number of nooks or crannies.

The taxi cab smelled like puke.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been in a cab or any type of ride share.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Took a cab in Jamaica back in '66 while serving and ship was in port and on liberty. Got in a cab with a guy who called himself "Speedy." Let me tell you. It was quite a ride. He lived up to his name. We sped through one lane, back woods roads to a remote cat house. Speedy didn't bother to ask where to go. He just said, "Get in. Speedy know where you want to go."

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
1986...the Army managed to strand me at the airport. Unfortunately, this was the Spartanburg, SC airport and at that time it actually closed at midnight! A friendly cab driver took pity on a tired soldier and gave me a 40 mile drive home for 20 bucks.

Posts: 1974 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several times in the last year. The ambulance does not bring you home. Wait till you see the thousand dollar ambulance bill! Your cab fare is reasonable.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Late 2012. I had an Achilles tendon rupture, had just gotten out of the cast and into a walking boot and didn't feel comfortable driving (it was my go pedal foot), so I asked workman's comp to help me with rides to PT. I expected to see some sort of shuttle van, but they sent out a local cab company.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late 60’s in a yellow Checker cab. Vinyl bench seats and that all to familiar cab smell, old cig smoke & who knows what else.

I easily recall that smell only an old Checker has.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
London black cab 2007.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7634 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day many of the Chicago Cab drivers spoke Polish and very little English. Go Bears, USA like that. Now many of them are Middle Eastern. Same phrases different pronuniciations.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post