SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gray plumber tape. Is it ok for potable water?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gray plumber tape. Is it ok for potable water? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Couldn't find my white plumber tape so I used gray that was actually where I left it. I thought that was a miracle that I found it where it's supposed to be. I didn't think it was any different but now I'm wondering. Is gray ptfe ok for drinking water?

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If that’s what it is (ptfe) the color doesn’t matter

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gray MegaTape?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Gray MegaTape?
yes

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Might be for stainless fittings

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Gray MegaTape?
yes

It's actually for stainless (prevents galling and seizing), but is ok for use on potable water.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. The gray tape doesn't stay as nicely as the white stuff. Seems to slip around in the threads.