SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prepping for those on prescription meds...had a wakeup call today.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prepping for those on prescription meds...had a wakeup call today. Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I'm more interested in stocking extra meds. Insurance frowns on this in many cases, so what workarounds are viable? I saw the post regarding not taking meds on some days and saving them, I can do that with some but not all my meds.

How are you guys getting extras?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not suggest taking meds every other day without medical advice. You should be able to get 90 day scripts from your doctor for most meds.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
Two options come to mind. Solar with battery storage (expensive), or natural gas/propane generators. Whole house coverage with auto transfer switch. You might forget the power is out!
Craigslist has used Generacs from time to time.

This, times infinity. I have a propane Kohler on a big tank, has run 4/5 days at a time during major outages. Absolutely painless, other than the ridiculous price of propane.

BTW, I wouldn't give you a quarter for a trainload of Generacs. HORRIBLE reputation around here for reliability and availability of service/spares.
I have a 45kw Kohler here at the house.Propane fueled 6 cyl ford engine.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
92fstech as a diabetic I hated living with my dosed amount with nothing to fall back on. I see a endrocrinologist for diabetes. The city I worked for has our own physicians assistant who i see for all the usual aliments. I have the P.A. prescribe my diabetes meds. I take 30 units of lantus per day. My P.A. thinks I take 54 and that I am insulin resistant. That has allowed me to build up a supply that lasts me for over a year if I needed it with out supply. My regular diabetes doc knows what I take and helps me adjust as needed. My P.A. helps me scam my insurance benefits. Doctors don't talk to each other. The seem to exist to write scrips and get you out the door. I use it to my advantage. I have used doctors with in the same network and done this over the years.

As for long term storage how cold is that river you live near?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would strongly suggest removing the line My PA helps scam my insurance benefits.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not an issue for me I get what is going on, but your insurance company may not.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
If you need something long term by a whole house that runs off natural gas (assuming you have that to your house). I have a dual fuel Cummins that will run my freezer, fridge, window ac and other stuff. With South Texas being prone to hurricanes most people have at least a portable generator. I have enough propane for about a week then a couple days of gasoline.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recently bought a 2000 Watt Hour Solar Generator (all-in-one charge controller, LifeP04 batteries, and 2 KWatt inverter). It should run our fridge and freezer for most of a day. We also bought solar panels to charge it on good days. On overcast days we have an old gas generator to carry the load and charge the solar generator.

After a couple months the freezer will be empty anyway.

We have meds delivered by mail 90 days worth at a time. I've found that if I ask the Dr. for new prescriptions during a yearly physical, they immediately kick out 90 days worth of everything. So, we are set for medicine for a while.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smaller solar panel + battery + inverter setups are appealing and seem to be getting cheaper and DIY options are showing up more often. They seem like a good alternative to small generators that let you avoid the noise, need for gas/propane, and frequent oil changes.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post