SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Adages related to your profession
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adages related to your profession Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Truck driving:
G et
O it
A ND
L ook

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54679 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Civil Engineering (from my brother)
"Water flows downhill."
"Payday is Friday."
Heard that one a lot from CE guys in USAF.

My own: The amount of clutter that accumulates is proportional to the amount of available horizontal surface.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Civil Engineering (from my brother)
"Water flows downhill."

Saying heard in both Colorado and Arizona.
“Water flows uphill to money.”

Posts: 13290 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:. . . In law: "If you have the brains, the time and the resources to go to law school, go to business school and get an MBA."

From lawyer friends.

"If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck".

"Justice is a process, not necessarily an outcome".

"I have never met a lawyer that didn't have two hands". (ie, lawyers can argue both sides of a case with equal vigor).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a plumber I know...

Never eat the last bite of your sandwich.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
When I was in car dealership parts departments when faced with an unreasonable demand from a customer amongst ourselves we would say "It's not my car, my car runs fine."

Made several calls and had the request run through a couple of salvage yards for a like kind and quality engine for a ten year old car, every thing I found had well over 100k, several year old car. Aftermarket warranty company insisted on us finding one, needed one with 50k or less on the odometer.The adjuster started giving me a hard time, I finally responded with "It's in the junkyard for a reason not related to the ash tray being overfilled or the floor mats were worn out, if you want a used one so bad you find it." They finally bought a factory reman one.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8116 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
Then there are the LAWS OF THE HOUSE OF GOD
IV. THE PATIENT IS THE ONE WITH THE DISEASE.

Though medicine is not my profession, I use that as well. (That was a great book!)

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite quotes that really holds true in life is actually from the manufacturing world

“There comes a point in every project to shoot the engineer and begin production”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sadly it seems to be... "You can't see it from my house."

quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
" we are not building a piano"

My grandfather's was "Good enough for a whore house, never make it in a church.'

My guides to live (work) by have always been:

If you've done things right, people will wonder if you really did anything at all.

There's nothing you can't get accomplished if you're willing to let someone else take the credit.

There's nothing you can't get done if you can convince someone else that it was their idea.

None particularly great for people wanting the spotlight or career climbers. Wink

Posts: 21111 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Litigation for money:

"Pigs eat, hogs get slaughtered." (know when to negotiate and settle reasonably).

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
One regarding buying quality tools as a tradesman. "A foolish man scrimps on his shoes, and his feet make him pay for it every time he wares them. A wise man splurges on his shoes, and his feet repay him every time he wears them". Ie, for tradesmen, buy the best tools you can.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Don’t matter how many guns you have you only have two hands.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
From Consulting/IT: Negative learning is still learning.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From pharmacy for those annoying patients.

“If we wanted you dead, you would be.”

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
From rotor-wing aviation:
-If there's no hydraulic fluid leaking, there's none in it.
-If the big fan stops turning, you fly directly to the crash site
-Keep your head down
-Exit to the left
-College education to drive it, high school education to fix it

From my current job:
-A laser beam is faster than your eyelid
-Engineers design it, I tell them why it doesn't work
-If something strange is happening, it's always software
-BTFO (Book The F!@#$%G Order!)

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5415 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If you see me running, try to keep up.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
From accounting/finance/auditing. How to get good numbers. The CEO of a firm asked me to SWAG a number for the auditors.

WAG, Wild A** Guess.

SWAG, Scientific Wild A** Guess, meaning make a WAG and put it on a spreadsheet, then it becomes "scientific".

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sorenson:
From a plumber I know...

Never eat the last bite of your sandwich.

HAH! That may be the best advice so far!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15261 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Vehicle with the biggest wheels has the right of way.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the prison system, "Not all convicts lie, and not all staff members tell the truth."

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post