SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Explain this rifle rack from The Andy Griffith Show
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explain this rifle rack from The Andy Griffith Show Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I've seen this a thousand times, but it just caught my attention. It appears that the board across the middle locks in some fashion, but it doesn't seem that it is close enough to the guns to prevent them from being removed while it is in place. You can see from the close up and side angle that there is no glass on the front. Not this episode, but I do recall Andy getting a rifle out of there a time or two. Does anyone remember any rifle racks of this type? What's the deal?

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
your link is all jacked up

ETA: My guess it was a movie prop and was for show, not for function.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
An unsecured useless prop.

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well, it would take some doing getting them out.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Barney's got it covered. No lock needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I'd bet it was supposed to have a glass face, but they realized it reflected the lights and cameras so they removed it.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
the guns are accessible but the bullets are only handed out one at a time.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10498 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Barney's got it covered. No lock needed.

No need for a long gun, Barney has a bullet in his front shirt pocket.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Barney couldn't figure it out so it was fine that way.

I still enjoy watching old episodes of that show...a time and place when life was simple and less stressful.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Actually, I’ve seen something similar in person. If you look at the “fingers” that trap the barrels, they should come out almost to the vertical plane of the “closing arm”. The one I remember also had a 2x2 scabbed on to the back of that “closing arm”. While not absolutely bugular proof, it wouldn’t be so easy to remove one of those long arms out of the rack without opening that “closing arm”.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Mayberry for goodness sake. They always left the key to the lock hanging on the side of the case anyway!!

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
It's Mayberry for goodness sake. They always left the key to the lock hanging on the side of the case anyway!!

Ding! Beat me to it.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
also - correct me if I'm wrong - was there not like ONE episode where Andy actually armed himself to go after a particularly dangerous criminal ??

or am I dreaming that ...

--------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Barney couldn't figure it out so it was fine that way.

I still enjoy watching old episodes of that show...a time and place when life was simple and less stressful.

Same here. I always get a chuckle from Floyd the Barber and Howard Sprague. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I just saw a scene where Barney walks up with a rifle and replaces it in the rack without opening it in any way-just placed it behind the middle board butt in first.

And yes, Andy did arm himself from time to time.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Sig209, you are correct. I don't remember the specific episode, but I do clearly remember him taking a long gun out of that rack.
I can't swear to this, but something's making me think it was one of the episodes in which he had an actual bandage on one of his hands from a "real" incident off the show or something...could be wrong.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddies and I used to watch AG before we went to our morning classes in college. Some (not always me) were smoking the Devils weed. We all hated Helen Krump. She was an awful and easily pissed off women. Drop her Andy, drop her.

Back to the rifle rack. Who knows?

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
also - correct me if I'm wrong - was there not like ONE episode where Andy actually armed himself to go after a particularly dangerous criminal ??

or am I dreaming that ...

--------------

There were a few times.

In one episode, Andy retrieves and loads his revolver after getting a letter from an ex-con that he had sent to prison stating that the con was going to "pay him a visit". (It turned out to be a friendly visit.)

In another, Andy carries a shotgun while going to a warehouse to apprehend an escaped convict hiding out inside.

And in a third episode, Andy uses Warren's revolver to fire at fleeing counterfeiters.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
I always thought he should have stuck with Ellie Walker, the pharmacist. I didn't care much for Helen either.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Mostly the rack was there to keep Otis away from the guns. It proved to be effective.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post