SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk "Caulk".
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk "Caulk". Login/Join 
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted
I need a caulk for:
Outside around a door.
Surfaces are cedar shingle to vinyl, and cedar shingle to flashing.
Gaps are around 1/8" to 1/2".
It has to be flexible/expandable.
Has to be paintable.

What would be the best caulk that would fit my needs? Thanks in advance!!

I will be buying at Lowes.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a LOT of OSI QuadMax, and also Sashco Big Stretch at work. Both would fit your bill. FWIW, I manage a large exteriors remodeling company.

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Tremco are also good products.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
My brother has turned on to Lexel caulk.

Posts: 2224 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Good info. I'm taking notes.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with GE silicone caulks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Big Stretch

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife and I once went to Home Depot and she asked the 22 year old young man, "where is your caulk?”

She was too embarrassed to be mad at me for laughing (and the kid stuttering to get an answer out)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I use Sashco's Big Stretch caulk for my exterior window and door caulk needs.

https://www.sashco.com/products/big-stretch/

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I have had good luck with GE silicone caulks.
Clear silicone fan. Practice first, there's no do-over; you push the bead, not pull it. Any chance you can cut some strips of primed or cedar wood to close up the 1/2" gap a little?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbazGVrbN-g

Product at 1:42 is the only thing you'll ever need.

Posts: 3298 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP said it needs to be paintable. Silicone caulks are not. OSI is good stuff. If you ever need to remove it, get out the sawzall.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Many of those silicone caulks are not paintable. Read the label. If it doesn’t say paintable then it’s not.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29732 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I need to check out this stretchable caulk.

I've noticed when I caulk inside or outside, the caulk dries and cracks and gaps.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I need to check out this stretchable caulk.

I've noticed when I caulk in or out, the caulk dries and cracks and gaps.

Definitely do. I won't use traditional acrylic/latex caulk any more, after trying Big Stretch.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Many of those silicone caulks are not paintable. Read the label. If it doesn’t say paintable then it’s not.

Because SILICONE itself, isn't paintable.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I've used Sherwin Williams 950A "siliconized" acrylic latex caulk for pushing thirty years. Water clean-up, 55 year, so they say. I've had no reason to try other caulks, 950A works and is very easy to use. More paintable than a full silicon caulk.

https://www.sherwin-williams.c...-acrylic-latex-caulk

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post