SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the Coolest Thing You Own?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the Coolest Thing You Own? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Not as cool as that, but I have a copy of the book "Baa Baa Black Sheep", autographed by the author, Pappy Boyington.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9174 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
A german leatherworking knife from my grandfather. He worked leather for years and gave me one of his knives.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My Pop-pop's WWII S&W Model 10 38 special revolver...he included the papers showing the gun(s) were thrown over the side when they got new 1911's..he told me, he took them up, and then issued them back out to his guys and told them they had been thrown over the side-keep them and give them to your kids when they are older.....and to put them in their seabags.

I also have some dental tools from my other grandfather who died when I was 3....wish I could have known him

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I have a hardcover copy of the book, "The Ravens: The Men Who Flew In America's Secret War In Laos," by Christopher Robbins, that is signed, by not only by the author, but also dozens of the heroic Ravens, some with personalized messages to me.

I got it because I had a chance meeting with one of the Ravens during their annual reunion, and when I explained I had already read the book (in paperback), and was interrogated to prove that was true, he got me the hardcover book, arranged for all the folks he could muster to sign it, and allowed my friends and I to join them for a portion of their reunion. The following night was Ravens and longtime friends only, but the night I met them, they were a little more loose with the guest list, and allowed my friends and I to hang out with them until the wee hours of the morning, and listen to their tales of heroism.

They were humble, and would say they were merely telling some mildly interesting stories, about a strange time in the their lives and the world. However, make no mistake about it, those guys have titanium testicles, and I was honored to spend those hours with them.

By the way, the author, Christopher Robbins, is slightly famous for another book, that was later made into a movie, "Air America."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My great-uncle’s WWI victory ring. I believe it’s made from a French coin. His only child was killed in combat a few months before the Battle of the Bulge. I was the closest to a grandson my great-aunt had and she gave me her husband’s ring on my 18th birthday. I have his helmet too which I played with throughout my childhood as did my dad and uncle.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
I have a hardcover copy of the book, "The Ravens: The Men Who Flew In America's Secret War In Laos," by Christopher Robbins, that is signed, by not only by the author, but also dozens of the heroic Ravens, some with personalized messages to me.

I got it because I had a chance meeting with one of the Ravens during their annual reunion, and when I explained I had already read the book (in paperback), and was interrogated to prove that was true, he got me the hardcover book, arranged for all the folks he could muster to sign it, and allowed my friends and I to join them for a portion of their reunion. The following night was Ravens and longtime friends only, but the night I met them, they were a little more loose with the guest list, and allowed my friends and I to hang out with them until the wee hours of the morning, and listen to their tales of heroism.

They were humble, and would say they were merely telling some mildly interesting stories, about a strange time in the their lives and the world. However, make no mistake about it, those guys have titanium testicles, and I was honored to spend those hours with them.

By the way, the author, Christopher Robbins, is slightly famous for another book, that was later made into a movie, "Air America."

Is one of the guys who signed it a fella named George Taylor? He was with them in Laos and used to be my Chief Pilot.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
TMats and bobthelf
I might have one of those gizzard stones too. Off white, half as big as tennis ball, with a seam?
Got one of those same swords too.
I’ll have to think about what other things I got.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigfest,

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Definitely the freezer in my garage.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a white gold Hamilton pocket watch. Its very old and keeps great time. Book-wise, I have a copy of "Night" that is signed Elie Wiesel. I met him once and talked with him at length. It was amazing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
My great-great-grandfather's sword.

Posts: 3665 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I think I have quite a few cool things, but I could be wrong

I will start off with something firearms related.

I have a perfect canceled check darted May 1st of 1899. Drawn on the personal account of Daniel Baird Wesson, founder of Smith and Wesson.

The rest of these items are from the Space Program. My late stepfather was a NASA Executive for 31 years.

This is from Project Mercury. The astronauts used a handrail to help themselves into the Space Capsule just prior to launch. When the gantry at Launch Complex 14 was dismantled after Mercury ended, the handrail was cut into ~5" pieces, mounted on bases and given to the NASA Executives responsible for the program.

John Glen, Scott Carpenter, Wally Schirra Jr. and Gordon Coper all held onto this railing just before blastin into Space Smile

After Apollo 11 returned from the moon, the NASA engineers cut out various electrical connectors from the Command Module and mounted them on plaques. These were given to the NASA Executives responsible for the program

Unfortunately after about 45 years, the glue holding the little brass description dried up. It is behind furniture and I will get it out one day and glue it back on

This is one of many American flags that have flown in space. This flew aboard SpaceLab 1

I have flags from STS 1, SkyLab 1, Apollo/Soyuz and others. We sold the one that went to the moon with Apollo 11 (It was an offer that we could not refuse)

1976 was Americas BiCentennial Birthday. It was also the year that we first landed on MARS. This is a strip recording showing the exact moment when Viking 1 touched down on the Martian surface. Arnold had EVERY strip recorder at KSC on the floor of the Vehicle Assembly Building charting this data so that there would be more than one original strip. I thought that was a pretty clever idea. Every strip was noted and signed in ink

There were several things from Apollo 8 that went to the moon and back. Commander Frank Borman wrote personal letters and presented the items to the various NASA executives. I forgot to photograph Arnold's letter and gift. When he was buried I put those first things that reached another planet and returned to earth into the grave site with him to take on his journey

Since I saw the violin in the thread, I thought I would include mine.

This was made in 1810. My Grandfather bought it sometime during the Great Depression. He had wanted to play with the Symphony, but it was the Depression and he ended up selling furniture all his life. In retirement he offered his musical talent for fund raisers. This has been in the family for almost 100 years. He had a modern neck put on it, but I have no idea when

Both my Mother and Myself were classical violinists. This is a very cool piece to have in the house.

There are other things, especially Space related

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5180 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
This knife handmade by my grandfather. He passed when I was around 4 years old. He made it for my dad and as a kid I would sneak into his closet and pull this knife out and just handle and admire it. Dad passed it on to me a few years back along with my grandparents bible.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Is one of the guys who signed it a fella named George Taylor? He was with them in Laos and used to be my Chief Pilot.
I don't recall that name. The book is currently in safekeeping at my parents' house, along with a couple other almost as cool items, so I can't look right now. The next time I'm there I will dig it out of the safe and look.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I don't recall that name. The book is currently in safekeeping at my parents' house, along with a couple other almost as cool items, so I can't look right now. The next time I'm there I will dig it out of the safe and look.

There was a fella nicknamed Buddha (can't remember his real name) who used to fly with them (and us) as well. He was quite the character. Man, the stories those guys could tell....

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A mammoth tusk.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My aunt worked at the factory that made NASA mission patches back in the 60's. I have an original Apollo 11 mission patch that she got me when they were making them. It was in storage at my parents house and when I dug it up a while back it has mold on it. I need to find a way to get it professionally cleaned so I can display it.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing. US Divers Royal Aquamaster double hose regulator, this one has a "heavy yoke". One of those pieces of equipment that time had past by when the made it, built for the higher pressure tanks of the late 70's but by that time no one was really using them. Very few were made:

Second, .50 cal rounds recovered from the wreck of the SS Copenhagen, a ship that ran aground off Pompano Beach, FL. US Navy used it for aerial target practice from planes launched form NAS Ft lauderdale in the '40's. #41 Trained there.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Feb. 1945 my Dad's B-17 made a wheels up landing in a field in France . A piece of the plexiglass nose was broken off and Dad thought it was shaped like the state of Louisiana ( his home ) so he picked it up . Later he took a marker and wrote the date and the names of the crew on it . I have it wrapped in tissue and locked in my safe . He only saved a couple of items from the war and this one is special to me .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I have my Pops prewar 357 (model 27).
I have huge cross cut saws he and his father used to clear land with in 1930's.
A cattle dehorner that really cool. I've actually used it to cut horns off cows.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
odd perhaps....one of my own 'coolest things' is a small container of mud from the River Jordan, gifted by #2 son after his visit to the region a few years ago....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post