SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chinese police identify burglar from the DNA of blood found in dead mosquito
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese police identify burglar from the DNA of blood found in dead mosquito Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Buzz kill for burglar after mosquito bites the dust

By Chen Huizhi

23:39 UTC+8, 2022-07-10

The blood on the wall of the apartment.

Police in the southeast Chinese province of Fujian have solved a burglary case by analyzing blood from a mosquito squashed on a wall.

The crime, which took place in a residential complex in Gulou District, Fuzhou city, was reported on the afternoon of June 11, Fuzhou police revealed on Saturday.

Judging from evidence, the suspect probably entered the apartment from the balcony and spent the night. He had cooked noodles and eggs, lit mosquito-repellent incense and slept in the bedroom.

While examining the scene, police officers noticed a dead mosquito with traces of blood.

Since the apartment was newly furnished, they believed it was unlikely that the owners would leave such an unseemly sight unattended.

Police officers take blood from the squashed mosquito for further forensic investigation.

Police took the blood as forensic evidence for further investigation. After a DNA analysis, they found it matched that of a man surnamed Chai, who had been punished before for crimes.

Chai was arrested in another city in Fujian Province at the end of last month.

He was also linked to three other burglaries, and has confessed, police said.

It is not the first and probably won't be the last criminal case in which key evidence against the suspect is drawn from mosquito blood.

In Cicily, Italy, the body of a strangled woman was found on a beach, and a man who lived in an inland area was established as the suspect.

In his dwelling, forensic experts found some mosquito blood which matched that of the victim, which was used as evidence to show that the victim had stayed there.

Chai has confessed about crime.

Source: SHINE Editor: Wang Xiang

Edited: to correct misspelling in subject line.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
CSI Fujian must have a lot of free time on their hands to break out the Luminol just investigate a B&E.

Posts: 2664 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I had to look twice to see why the Chinese police were interested in a military musician.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Have the authorities harvested his organs yet?

Posts: 26936 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I had to look twice to see why the Chinese police were interested in a military musician.

Thanks for the correction...and the smile. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Cicily, Italy, the body of a strangled woman was found on a beach, and a man who lived in an inland area was established as the suspect.

I didn't have my glasses on. lmao "He lived in Ireland !? How the F' does that work?" Big Grin

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
CSI Fujian must have a lot of free time on their hands to break out the Luminol just investigate a B&E.

Although the way it’s determined may be suspect, it’s probably true that China has a significantly lower crime rate than the US. There is also the issue of what the police are expected to do and what their methods and resources are. Some of the reasons for China’s lower crime rate are probably laudable, some not so much. One thing that is true without any doubt despite the occasional idiotic claims to the contrary, is that police and judicial activity do affect crime rates. The greater likelihood of being caught and then punished for one’s crimes does have a deterrent effect. That doesn’t entirely eliminate crime, of course, but when there is little likelihood of that due to police incompetence and/or indifference, crime rates go up.

When the police, judiciary, and the public at large view something as “just” a certain type of crime, then don’t expect much effort to be expended in solving it. And lo and behold: that type of crime becomes more common—for some unfathomable reason. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I imagine lawyers in countries where residents have civil rights could cast serious doubts on this investigative technique. After all, how many people can a mosquito bite in their life span? Much more reliable to analyze the DNA found in the blood of the dead burglar!

Posts: 6505 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I imagine lawyers in countries where residents have civil rights could cast serious doubts on this investigative technique. After all, how many people can a mosquito bite in their life span? Much more reliable to analyze the DNA found in the blood of the dead burglar!

I’m pretty confident that the blood in a squashed mosquito came from her last meal.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Thanks for the correction...and the smile. Wink

Smile

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
My question is, does the Chinese government have the DNA of all their citizens on file or just the criminals?

Posts: 3390 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This sounds like the kind of thing the Chinese Communists would pull out of their ass.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
If the news comes out of China, then yeah. You know it's probably bullshit.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, I believe the events described actually happened. I'm referring to Chinese Communists pulling a stunt like this.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
CCP constantly pushes the notion that a centralized totalitarian government is far more efficient/better than democracy. See zero Covid policy.

They see them selves as far far better, and they want to prove it.

BTW IIRC, our genetics and DNA technology is far superior to theirs.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's not as if that mosquito could have bitten anyone else, no sir.

These sumbitches need to be slapped in the face with a rolled-up Constitution. Perhaps we'd see how far we could actually get the document up a CCP official's ass. It doesn't have to be just an expression, y'know.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I’ll pay for the slab of granite to carve into the whole thing.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post