SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know anything abount neon signs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything abount neon signs? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I'm guessing the great Sigforum collective will come through on this again. I have an old 1980s style Budweiser bowtie neon sign. It was manufactured in 1985. When I turn it on the Budweiser part comes on very dim and the red bowtie part doesn't light at all. I'm guessing it's the transformer but I don't know a lot about neon signs so I figured I'd ask here first before either buying a new transformer or taking it to a shop. There are no obvious breaks in the glass tubes.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Usually if it’s flickering or doesn’t light at all it’s the transformer. But yours more than likely has leaked out too much gas and the pressure is too low to move the current needed to light the entire sign and needs to be looked at by a shop.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3983 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Some of these older signs are not approved for residential use because of the ballast gets too hot. People would get them out of bars and put in their house. Cause of too many house fires I guess so insurance companies quit paying. Don't ask me what the difference is between having them in a bar or in your house but I know bars stopped giving them out to people awhile ago at least around here.

Most these days are led and look nicer anyhow. As to why it's not working properly the post above is the answer.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8544 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
bars stopped giving them out to people awhile ago at least around here.

This is because the neons technically belong to the manufacturer and/or distributor and not the bar to which they are "loaned", even though a lot of them do end up being sold or given away at some point.

I learned this once upon a time when I was in the nightclub business and gave a few away. Distributor wasn't happy about it, although they got over it pretty quickly.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15747 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up, if I recall the transformer puts out about 5,000 volts. Might not want to fool with it much - the bite would be memorable.

Posts: 2137 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a pinhole leak- usually around the electrode. If you find the right guy, they may break it and repump it for you. Most small shop neon guys are nuts FYI (the mercury). They can also recommend a modern solid state tranny to replace the original, if you want to keep it going. Listen to chris42 and don't mess with that sign energized, I got whacked with a 12k tranny and memorable is an accurate description.

Edit- I see you're in Mass, I used Nepco in RI for years and they do good work.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quite a collection of old neon signs and light most of them daily. When a transformer goes out, usually the whole sign goes black. The neon sign is built in sections/segments and wired together to the transformer. Sounds like you have a slow gas(neon gas) leak, and have a segment that won't light and transmit the current forward. I have changed many transformers out over the years to the new solid state transformers......they are great!!! If you wish to keep and use your old neon, take it to an expert that can check and find the bad segment.......then he can make you a new segment. He will also test your transformer for you.

I have been at this hobby for many years, but still do not make new segments for my signs......Good luck.

Posts: 6634 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
You want to get rid of any of the old transformers. They are very good at starting fires.

Posts: 5758 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, I've got a local shop that I'm bringing it to on Friday

Posts: 6363 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a wise plan. I love my old neons.

Posts: 6634 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
They're bright and colorful.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
No breaks in the neon however the red bowtie had the wires pulled out of one of the electrodes. The general consensus is that someone tried to fix it at home and broke it in the process. Estimated cost to fix about 60-80 assuming that's all it needs. I should have it back in a couple weeks.