SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    shipping a motorcycle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shipping a motorcycle Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Motorcycle is sold, funds received, and the buyer is paying a shipper who will pick it up and take it from southern NV to NC. Looking for those with experience with this.

I asked the buyer if there is any prep (drain all gas?) and he said no, just roll it out to them and they'll take it. Just double checking.

There are a few items that went with the sale: oil filters, filter gaskets, oil drain plug. Will the shipper take these? I could bungee cord a bag on the seat.

Keys. Should I send these separately?

Title. Is it required that I fill out my info, or just send it to him and let him fill it out?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience, but I would probably package the extras with the motorcycle. The shipper should know what to do with the keys, they may want them so they can move the bike (unlock the forks). I think I would be most comfortable filling the title out and sending it separately using something like UPS signature confirmation for tracking purposes.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most shippers do not want to take a box of parts, too easy to get mixed up, lost or they will get blamed for something missing out of the box. I ship often and use HaulBikes. Very professional and you do not need to do any prep work like draining the gas or disconnecting the battery. Just ride it to the trailer and the driver does everything else. Now if he is using someone from Uship then who knows. I sold a Cushman once to a guy in TX and he had someone from Uship come to pick it up, they pulled up in a pick up with a cargo trailer, climbed out of the truck in their pajamas and asked me if they could have some old tie downs. I gave them a set and they were on the way. He did receive the scooter OK but no way would I have let them haul my stuff. Now they would have been happy to take a box of parts along.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would box up the extras and ship via UPS, FedEx or USPS. Too much of a chance to lose them somehow.
The trip shouldn't take too long so stale gas, etc. shouldn't be a concern.
Many years ago a friend had a bike shipped out west and a enclosed trailer with tie down points showed up and added his to the collection. It arrived at the destination within a week with no hick up's.

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I would sign the title and mail it to the buyer. I bought a boat a few years ago from a guy that was moving out of state and he forgot to sign the title. I thought long and hard about forging some chicken scratch and turning it in. I still had his number so I called him and got his new address. I mailed it to him with $10 for the return USPS priority mail envelope. It was a bit of a pain, but I didn't want to forge his signature.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Title - yup, I do need to sign before I send. I'll use FEDEX and include the keys (buyer said the shipper doesn't need the keys).

I'm sending the extras separately and the shipper will only get the bike.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd take pictures of it before handing it over to the shipper, just to protect myself from claims by the buyer of damage and the shipper from saying "thats how it was when I picked it up"

Protects you and the buyer from shipper damages.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'd take pictures of it before handing it over to the shipper, just to protect myself from claims by the buyer of damage and the shipper from saying "thats how it was when I picked it up"

Protects you and the buyer from shipper damages.
Great minds. I got off early from work this morning and opened the garage, rolled it into sunlight, and snapped more than a dozen pics - should the buyer need them.

I was also backing out yesterday morning and saw the license plate still on it!

Picked up just before noon today so it's on it's way.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Take photos of bike at rear of shippers vehicle prior to loading and again after bike is secured in shipping vehicle. Attatch extras in a backpack or something simular and physically attatched to the bike. Photos are for YOUR protection so new owner can not dispute condition of bike when you released it to the shipper. ............................................drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If there is a place on the NV title to notarize your signature, the NC title transfer shop probably wants to see the seal. They did here in PA with an AZ title (there was a line blow my signature for the notary's signature).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post