SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Alarm Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Alarm Question Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I want to get a home alarm system, preferably monitored.

I don't want to spend thousands on equipment and installation. I do realize you get what you pay for, but what can I get for a much lower cost, that is still of good quality and the associated service.

My home has an existing alarm system, it was here when I got the house 8 years ago. It was DOA when I moved in, it's old and surely obsolete. It's hard wired but many of the wires were cut when I had new windows installed.

Is there a good regional or national company, of good reputation?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Forget wires.

Simplisafe or Ring are both GTG.

I can email you a discount code for simplisafe if you’d like.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I found a small local installer. He installed 2 motion sensors, 2 door sensors, and a control panel in a business environment. That was about $800. I own the equipment and am using but a fraction of the equipment's abilities. Monitoring with the ability to access remotely and on a cell phone costs $29.99/month from alarm.com.

This setup allows something like 64 individual users to have codes and established access times and even notifications.

This is a wireless system with no phone line to it using cellular technology for monitoring.

As the end user, you need to determine how much penetration will be allowed prior to notification. Also realize that glass breaks aren't bullet proof and could give false positives.

You also need to decide if you want wired devices or wireless.

If one were willing to dig into it themselves, my setup probably could have been purchased and installed by the user for maybe $400 (couldn't track cellular part cost).

edited to add:
Here is the thread I started on the topic at the time I purchased my setup.

edited to add more:
Amazon has these available in kits or buy what you need.

Control panel $129.99

Kit with control panel, 4 door/window, and 1 motion $299.99

Motion sensor $32.00

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The cheapest I've found, with monitoring, is the Ring Alarm. You can add premium camera cloud recording for the same monhly fee.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
simplisafe is anti-gun. Wouldn't give them a dime, if they were the only game in town.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have a wireless system that pre-dates simplsafe. Lifesheild, now owned by direct TV/at&t. Worked fine for 12 years now. I have no idea how the costs compare to other systems.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I use https://www.guardianprotection...ve/austin-texas.aspx as my alarm company and they must be associated with alarm.com as the iPhone app I use is the alarm.com.

I pay $43 a month and my system is monitored via cell phone signal so worry of cut wires and they have a good method in they start dispatching the police right away on an alarm. Also there is a difference in how they dispatch police upon initial alarm compared to other companies.

I am VERY happy with my service. I can fully program or control my system from my smart device or computer.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Are you sure? I could swear I’ve seen their ads in my NRA mags?? Guess that doesn’t mean anything though.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
simplisafe is anti-gun. Wouldn't give them a dime, if they were the only game in town.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Are you sure? I could swear I’ve seen their ads in my NRA mags?? Guess that doesn’t mean anything though.

quote:

They dropped the NRA, after Parkland. https://www.bostonglobe.com/bu...KK3zhVYZJ/story.html
A few years ago, they have an article advising against the use of guns for defense, if there is a home invasion. It was discussed right on here.
So, I say, fuck them.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Hardwire every sensor. Wireless sensor batteries fail at the worst times. Alarm installers love wireless because they are easier to install. I have never had an issue with a hard wired sensor, other than non-commercial overhead door contacts.

Years after your installer is long gone, the reliability of your system will depend on the reliability of your sensors and contacts. Get commercial garage door contacts.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve had a Simplisafe for about 4 years now and it’s been pretty good. Their cameras are poor, and we’ve had intermittent connection issues from time to time though.

I wouldn’t buy it again.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Hardwire is best. After 30 years - had to replace one door contact due to a replacement door (sensor was too long and would not seat properly in the new frame).

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Good, inexpensive (FSVO), fast/easy: Pick two.

I chose the first two options by designing, installing and programming my own. All sensors, other than the garage door tilt and micro-barn motion, are wired. Every window and door is covered, there are two motions in the house, smoke/fire on the main floor, and flood for the sump well. I get notifications of arm, disarm, alarms and "system issues" (such as loss-of-communications) via email, text message [for critical events] and an app (which cause notifications to appear on phone, watch and tablet). The system is also monitored 24x7 by one of the major monitoring centers. The cost of that was almost exactly offset by our insurance deduction for having a monitored system.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We went with Vivint for wireless and Blink cameras. Vivint requires a 5 year commitment though

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, that’s a shame

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:

quote:

They dropped the NRA, after Parkland. https://www.bostonglobe.com/bu...KK3zhVYZJ/story.html
A few years ago, they have an article advising against the use of guns for defense, if there is a home invasion. It was discussed right on here.
So, I say, fuck them.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Is ADT good?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Is ADT good?

Rip-off (i.e., unnecessarily expensive).

Q

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
We went wireless years ago with this company: https://www.homesecuritystore.com
Put together the system we needed based on the layout of the house.
Their monitoring is only $9 per month. I have no experience with the monitoring.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a company for monitoring in Florida called "The Monitoring Center". We pay
$120. per year. If you could find similar in your area, might be worthwhile
to have your system repaired/updated.
The Monitoring Center-1-866-247-4999.
Regards, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I just installed a Ring system this week. Charge $100/year for monitoring. The batteries supposedly last one year. You can monitor the battery life on the app you download. I also installed their cameras in the entry ways. So far I'm really liking the system.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post