SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Preventing Cedar from "weathering ".
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preventing Cedar from "weathering ". Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Have a large Cedar bird feeder. The project is finished and ready to be mounted on a pole and placed outside. I would like to weatherproof the cedar without changing the color and tone of the wood. Suggestions on a product to use?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Watco Danish oil for raw wood to preserve it without staining or spraying. I use it on wood rifle stocks I modify to free float, or inlet for aftermarket triggers, and on pistol grips that I have to inlet to fit the frame.

Linseed oil or Tung oil will work too. Some people like to rub beeswax into wood for natural finishing, but that would be a pain on your project.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I would use an oil based semi-transparent outdoor stain near the color of the cedar.
I have used both and the oil based will protect better with a thinner coat AND is sprayable but is harder to clean up.
Water-based worked well too but is a little thicker and acts more like a paint.
I have used Behr in both.
YMMV

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I would think that you would have to stain it with a color similar to its natural color…I’m not sure just a dose of Boiled linseed oil will keep it from turning grey over time

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Look into the Sikkens brand of stains and sealants for high quality woods................

https://www.sikkens-wood-coatings.com/

Nice product guide:
https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-0...3de-77bcf94e3fd3.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a REALLY nice feeder; great job!!

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
With all the detail work, I'd go with a spray on spar urethane or similar.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
With all the detail work, I'd go with a spray on spar urethane or similar.

I agree.

quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
That's a REALLY nice feeder; great job!!

+1
Really great job!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post