SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Refrigerator Brands, Moderately Priced
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Refrigerator Brands, Moderately Priced Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted
We may need to replace the refrigerator in our vacation place. I am thinking $1500, maybe $2000 tops, based on what I have seen at Home Depot.

The brands they carry: Maytag, LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Magic Chef, GE, Hotpoint.

Based on my very dated info, the brands I would have thought best from the above is Maytag and Whirlpool, but I know times change.

Any recommendations? Other brands to consider not listed above? Any brands to avoid?

Thanks!

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Magic Chef

I've had good luck with them. but ymmv

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 5 rental units and manage 2 other houses. Whirlpool and Maytag by far are the least problematic, with Frigidaire right behind them (for refrigerators only). GE is the biggest garbage of any appliance company.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
IMO, Whirlpool.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We've had a Kitchen Aid for 7 years, bought from the local scratch & dent place. Never had an issue apart from a tab breaking on the water filter cap (trim/cosmetic).

When we moved last year, the house came with Frigidaire appliances. We didn't care for the front-load W/D, but the fridge has been good (house built in 2013, so I assume it's 5 yrs old, builder provided).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Avoid LG

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
Samsung just died, going to buy a whirlpool in a few minutes. WRB322DMB,bottom freezer, 22 cubic feet, around 1350.00. Good reviews.
o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After my 25+ year old Frigidaire died, I replaced it with the same model. So after 25+ trouble free years, I figured that why change. (Plus I got an insanely great deal on this Frigidaire!)

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Whirlpool (Whirlpool owns Maytag, Amana, Kitchen Aid, Roper, and some Kenmore's are built by Whirlpool.)

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I would be cautious of buying any Frigidaire appliances. I replaced all but the stove after buying a whole kitchen set.
Dishwasher - 16 Months
Refrigerator - 2.5 years after multiple breakdowns.
Microwave - 4 years.
The stove still functions for the most part, but it's not without issues.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Avoid Samsung, LG.
Just replace our Samsung with a GE Profile.
Kitchen Aid is good too only with less features.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
No more Samsungs for me either.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Sears Kenmore.. and it was the discontinued model.. it was under $1000.. and it is nice.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9072 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Avoid Samsung. Don’t even walk near the damn things.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
bought from the local scratch & dent place

This is how I try to buy all of my appliances. One of my go to places is the Sears Outlet. It's amazing how many appliances get minor damage during delivery which is then returned to be liquidated.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Avoid Samsung. Don’t even walk near the damn things.

What he said, except that I would say RUN, RUN and don't look back!

I have a thirty year old Frigidaire that it still going strong.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Avoid all Frigidaire with the twist tray ice makers.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We just remodeled the kitchen and went with all GE because they exclusively had the color my wife wanted stainless slate. Fine with me eliminated a lot of additional decision making. I don't think there is a lot of difference between the brands at the big box stores.

When you step up to the brands like Sub Zero or True is when you see a difference.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I would narrow it down to the type of refrigerator then look at brand. At your price point it’s the high end of side by side and the entry to mid end price of French Door. Color also helps decide price. Counter depth adds to the price and lowers the cubic feet. Look at the service area for the authorized servicers in the brand you like. Most big box’s rely on the manufacture’s service network. Mom and Pops mostly match price and offer services. In the end it’s a refrigerator, one part gets cold the other side gets colder.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend a Frigidaire. Had all frigidaire new appliances, they lasted about, oh, maybe 11 years altogether. That includes washer, dryer, fridge, and stove. Dryer went first, and that’s after having to fix it twice. Washer still worked, but we replaced it when we got a new dryer. Then fridge went, and we had fixed the freezer once as well. Started leaking water all over the floor off and on, then suddenly quit cooling. Last, the oven blew one of the heating elements, almost started a fire, but I was smart enough to not open the door.
I actually like Whirlpool products, have never had an issue with them. New washer and dryer are Whirlpool, so is the fridge.
So, I vote for Whirlpool.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post