Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adoption Login/Join 
Picture of six732
posted
Wife is adopted and basically knows nothing about her birth parents. Over the past 2 years we managed to finally track down her birth mother and that went horribly.My wife was hoping to get some rest usually information to help with the search of her birth father but her birth mother claimed she remembered nothing. We’re thinking of trying a genealogist but we really don’t know what’s the best course of action for the next step. Anyone have any suggestions or experience in this field.

Posts: 782 | Location: South West Georgia | Registered: March 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest you first send her DNA to both Ancestry.com & 23 & me. You may possibly get hits on close relatives & make contact.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4276 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.23andme.com/

See the automatic family tree for $119.

The point of these services is often hotly argued. Some say it is to log dna into a conspiracy database. Some say it is to provide drug creators with dna data to facilitate drug formulation. Regardless of your opinion, the service may help provide data for you.

More importantly, I encourage counseling for those in pain about their origins. God loves us more than we can ever know or understand. Our origin and upbringing never overcome His boundless care and concern. Today He watches over us and hopes that we turn to Him to share our worries and struggles. His love will overcome our pain.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Might also try the social media routes starting with the mother. People are awfully reckless with leaving personal information and connections open for the public to see.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Ancestry WITHOUT the DNA first. We were able to track down my BIL's entire birth family that way. It took time and patience, but they don't have the DNA, either.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over the past 2 years we managed to finally track down her birth mother and that went horribly.

I'm sorry to hear that... but that's not particularly uncommon. Remember, she gave up her daughter for a reason and may not welcome the reminder. Any sort of relationship may not be possible.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
What is the motivation here? Simple curiosity, or, perhaps, information on medical vulnerabilities or suchlike? If the former, ask yourselves the question, "is it worth the potential upset and conflict given that it is likely that there will still be uncertainties after all basic facts are known." If the latter, the DNA route may be appropriate, but still, there are no guarantees of accuracy or applicability.

I understand that an adoptee might want to know about their genealogy, but shouldn't most of the honor go to the parents who took on the burden of raising you? And watch that DNA analysis, you might just find out that your dad was Fidel Castro! Smile

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the motivation here? Simple curiosity, or, perhaps, information on medical vulnerabilities or suchlike? If the former, ask yourselves the question, "is it worth the potential upset and conflict given that it is likely that there will still be uncertainties after all basic facts are known." If the latter, the DNA route may be appropriate, but still, there are no guarantees of accuracy or applicability.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My experience is that there is inevitable disappointment in finding the birth parents. Rememeber they probably do not want to be found.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
For those that know their birth parents, there's always the possibility that the father isn't the father.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your wife has a facebook account have her look up "Search Squad,"They will walk her through the process. Using DNA and other resources they helped me find my biological parents. I found out that genetically I'm a hippie.
Eye opening to say the least...
OZ

Posts: 160 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My oldest son I adopted. My wife's firstborn from a previous marriage. Late in his teens, he started to think about finding his biological father. My wife said your father is sitting in the basement watching television. And, that was the end of that. There is a difference between biological and parent. My oldest is a part of my clan, and will carry on my family name.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs alone and some secrets kept secret... But if secrets are brought to life it will be impossible to put them back in the box. Best of luck for whichever way it goes. ................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2015 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of six732
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I understand that an adoptee might want to know about their genealogy, but shouldn't most of the honor go to the parents who took on the burden of raising you? And watch that DNA analysis, you might just find out that your dad was Fidel Castro! Smile

Honestly what drives her is the fact that she has no family her mother is any only child and choose to adopt because she wasn’t able to have kids. She was never married, so her mother is the only family she has.

Posts: 782 | Location: South West Georgia | Registered: March 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of six732
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Zulu:
If your wife has a facebook account have her look up "Search Squad,"They will walk her through the process. Using DNA and other resources they helped me find my biological parents. I found out that genetically I'm a hippie.
Eye opening to say the least...
OZ

Thank you, we’ll definitely give this a try.

The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
My younger sister is adopted. She went through what your wife is probably going through.

DNA search is the way to go if you want to identify biological family.

...but like some others here have already said, it's often opening Pandora's Box. There is typically a good reason they were put up for adoption in the first place.

In my sister's case, Hollywood couldn't have done a better job of inventing a more chaotic group of grifters than her biological family. In her mid 20's she connected, almost got sucked in, and then had to actively try to distance herself (which she finally was able to do).

Some rock's are better left unturned...

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4200 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post