SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Milk expiration dates go out full two months ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milk expiration dates go out full two months ?? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Not to be “that guy” but if some of y’all get a chance to have raw/low temp pasteurized milk from a good farm, you really need to try some…

Happy to recommend a good dairy farmer to get milk from in SC/N. GA

My sons do this … they’re still drinking the white.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The store brand whole milk gallons at out big local chain usually have dates over two weeks out and doesn't start smelling funky until after that.

As for opaque vs translucent, the light goes out when I close the fridge door.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3444 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Publix Greenwise milk in the cardboard half gallon container, good for 6-8 weeks.

Publix Greenwise milk in the plastic one gallon jug, good for 2-3 weeks.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Every grocery store I've been to exposes milk to light so milk in clear jugs is already degrading before getting to the darkness of your home fridge.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:

I can't resist. How do you know it goes out unless you're inside when the door closes? Smile

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I can't resist. How do you know it goes out unless you're inside when the door closes? Smile

Answered at 4:43 below.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I get my milk from a family dairy not far from me. They bottle their own milk. I never look at the date because I used it up fast.
Their milk isn't Homogenized it's real milk. And they do there own chocolate milk with pure cane sugar. It's additive.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
TatorTodd has the answer: it's ultra-pasteurized milk. Costco sells it in regular and lactose-free versions.
I haven't decided yet if it tastes as good as regular pasteurized milk.
Do you remember when you could buy unhomogenized milk? Yeah, most of the good stuff is gone, at least if you're buying 1% or 2% fat milk.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We don't drink a lot of milk and have been buying the longer life stuff for several years.
I don't notice any difference in taste and it does last as shown on the date code, even after opened.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I haven't decided yet if it tastes as good as regular pasteurized milk.
Mine tastes better, but I cheated. As a teen, Mom kept lowering the percent milk fat due to the Dad's cholesterol and we were down to skim milk. When I switched to ultra-pasteurized, I also switched to 1% so it tastes better.

I'm not a milk drinker, I just use it on cereal and recipes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure its not March 26 of 2022?

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I know it is probably not the reason... but I was talking to a guy at my church and his teenage son this past Sunday about the day I enquired about goat's milk and his son poured me about a 16 ounce glass of the stuff... I don't like milk... but I drank the whole thing.... not bad... now keep in mind they warned me before I drank it .. it was raw.. pure.. unpasteurized....

The guy is about 6'2" ... his teenage son is taller than him... and has been drinking this goat's milk all his life.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I know it is probably not the reason... but I was talking to a guy at my church and his teenage son this past Sunday about the day I enquired about goat's milk and his son poured me about a 16 ounce glass of the stuff... I don't like milk... but I drank the whole thing.... not bad... now keep in mind they warned me before I drank it .. it was raw.. pure.. unpasteurized....

The guy is about 6'2" ... his teenage son is taller than him... and has been drinking this goat's milk all his life.

We drank raw milk from a farmer for quite a few years when I was growing up. It didn't kill me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a fella on the tik tok that puts all kind of stuff on slides under a micro scope.

Including new and old foods and drinks.

Some of his vids are good

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post