SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ferrari 296 GTB
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ferrari 296 GTB Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I am a car guy, always have been a car guy, and always will be. But as we move forward I find myself still just enjoying older cars.
My interest and enjoyment seemed to really peak in the early 2000s. After that car just got so electronic and technical I found myself drowning in things I just did not fully understand when I was reading about cars. The hypercar era hit and the exotics just seemed to loose my interest.

The Ferrari 355 and 550 Maranello were the last two that Ferrari put out that really just had me and still do to this day.
Granted life became real for me in 2006 so my spare time to read and research was lessened. I have read a little here and there and kept up with the new models but could not break down the specs or anything like I used to.
I’d watch some videos here and there but no cars just really grabbed me anymore.

Well I just saw this video for the 2022 Ferrari 296 GTB and wow, just wow is all I can say. What a beautiful car to look at. It seems to draw it’s style from the older compact Ferrari’s but has a brush of new styling and the two worlds perfectly collide in my option. Only thing I would change is go back to the old circle tail lights.
Oh man the exhaust note on this thing!!!!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
As a gear head also…..I quit caring about the Prancing Horses when they no longer made manual transmissions. Unless you’re racing for money, the shift speed matters not, it’s about engagement. Love the looks of this and many of their cars however. At least Porsche still makes manuals.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12639 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Sweet looking car. My first one was an 1988 328GTS with a gated shifter. It was a great ti drive. A bit spartan in the interior but a great car to drive.

My second and current is a 1999 355F1 and it has paddle shifters. When I first bought the car the shutters were a novelty but I have to admit I miss having a clutch and shift. It is possible to retrofit the car to have a clutch and a manual shift. Ive actually given it some thought.

The 296 looks like a great car.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see one in person, photos of cars like this never do them justice. I wasn't very impressed with the Ferrari Roma until I saw one on the road. It sucks that Ferrari doesn't offer any manual transmissions but if I won the lottery there's no way that I could resist having one. Well, it couldn't be just one, that's crazy talk.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've actually owned just ONE Ferrari in my entire life, and I'm never likely to own another one.

It was a 1968 365GT 2+2 in dark blue with palomino upholstery. Even had the steering wheel on the correct - left - side, too.

However, rising fuel costs here in UK and an impending move to Germany meant that it had to go.

Even on a good day it would only make around 10 mpg, and premium gas was a premium price, even back then - the equivalent of $9 a gallon.

I sure did love it, though, and I can still smell the interior and hold that lovely slim steering wheel...sigh.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Wow! Just... WOW!!! Beautiful car, amazing sound, and 830HP out of a 2.9L V6 engine?!? Dang...

My only real negative comment on it is about it being a "plug-in hybrid"... why? That just adds weight to the car that isn't necessary! If I'm wrong, tell me why.

Posts: 4588 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Wow! Just... WOW!!! Beautiful car, amazing sound, and 830HP out of a 2.9L V6 engine?!? Dang...

My only real negative comment on it is about it being a "plug-in hybrid"... why? That just adds weight to the car that isn't necessary! If I'm wrong, tell me why.

OK I’ll tell you…;-)
As you know this is a turbocharged V6. As with all normally turbocharged engines there is a certain amount of time between when the accelerator is depressed and the turbo spools up to actually putting power to the wheels. This issue has been addressed in many ways including using twin turbochargers etc. By using electric motor(s) the response is instantaneous, and I mean right now! No other form of power generation can provide that quick a response and allows the 296 GTB to go from 0-100 mph in only 2.9 seconds…

I have always been a fan of mid engine cars and have owned several including my current Porsche. I will tell you that driving a mid engine Ferrari on the track is a whole ‘nother level of driving fun! The 458 Stradale I drove in Marenello was amazing and I suspect that this car is even better than that!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From all I have seen, this is intended to be the “rebirth” of the Dino. I think they’ve got a winner here…love that styling. Exotic enough, but very mature.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
By using electric motor(s) the response is instantaneous, and I mean right now!

That makes a lot of sense. Great use for an electric motor.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My favorite was always the 360CS, but they're quite pricey.

My neighbor at our old house had 2 in his garage. A 92 348 Spider with a gated manual & a 99 355 F1 Spider.
The 355 sounded amazing, had some form of aftermarket exhaust on it.
Never did score a ride in either. Should cruise by & see if he still lives there.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It looks like they copied the NSX, lol.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I've actually owned just ONE Ferrari in my entire life, and I'm never likely to own another one.

It was a 1968 365GT 2+2 in dark blue with palomino upholstery. Even had the steering wheel on the correct - left - side, too.

However, rising fuel costs here in UK and an impending move to Germany meant that it had to go.

Even on a good day it would only make around 10 mpg, and premium gas was a premium price, even back then - the equivalent of $9 a gallon.

I sure did love it, though, and I can still smell the interior and hold that lovely slim steering wheel...sigh.

Great looking Ferrari, partial to the front engine sports/touring cars, those are the ones that sport the heritage.

One sold for just under $250K in 2018, probably bring north of $300 in todays crazy market...

365 GT 2+2 at RM Monterey

Like the new C8, technically superior, fast, ultra modern, however I'd prefer a big block C3 with a 4 speed.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

OK I’ll tell you…;-)
As you know this is a turbocharged V6. As with all normally turbocharged engines there is a certain amount of time between when the accelerator is depressed and the turbo spools up to actually putting power to the wheels. This issue has been addressed in many ways including using twin turbochargers etc. By using electric motor(s) the response is instantaneous, and I mean right now! No other form of power generation can provide that quick a response and allows the 296 GTB to go from 0-100 mph in only 2.9 seconds…
<<snip>>

Okay, I get that the electric will eliminate any issues with turbo lag, but according to the video, turbo lag itself has been designed out! If you're correct, and I don't doubt that you are, then their method of "designing out" is the addition of nearly 200HP in instant electric power (830HP total, with 633HP coming from the IC engine, leaving 197HP for the electric motor output). Interesting...

Oh, and from what I can decipher, that 0-100 time of 2.9 seconds is in KPH, not MPH. I mean, this is an Italian video of an Italian car where they use the metric system... no? Big Grin

Edit to add: Just looked up the specs from Ferrari of Ft Lauderdale's website, and it IS in KPH, not MPH. So basically 0-60MPH in 2.9 and 0-120MPH in 7.3...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bronicabill,

Posts: 4588 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^
Thanks for the kph/mph correction. Still damn quick!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDHunz:
From all I have seen, this is intended to be the “rebirth” of the Dino. I think they’ve got a winner here…love that styling. Exotic enough, but very mature.

That was my first thought - it seems very reminiscent of the Dinos. Would love to drive one just for the thrill.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
As a gear head also…..I quit caring about the Prancing Horses when they no longer made manual transmissions. Unless you’re racing for money, the shift speed matters not, it’s about engagement. Love the looks of this and many of their cars however. At least Porsche still makes manuals.

I intentionally left that can of worms out. I posted awhile back about the gated community and there were a lot of double clutch, blah, blah, blah, automatics, blah, blah, blah, are faster than the manual.
I don’t care!!!!! I want to DRIVE THE CAR! I want to push the clutch, I want to row the gears.
My buddy has a Porsche with the super duper double clutch fancy shmanzy automatic.
Sure, it is fun to drive but it would be so much more fun to drive if it were a manual.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and from I can decipher, that 0-100 time of 2.9 seconds is in KPH, not MPH. I mean, this is an Italian video of an Italian car where they use the metric system... no? Big Grin

Edit to add: Just looked up the specs from Ferrari of Ft Lauderdale's website, and it IS in KPH, not MPH. So basically 0-60MPH in 2.9 and 0-120MPH in 7.3...

Ahem, it would actually be 0-62mph in 2.9 sec.
100kph = 62MPH, if we're splitting hairs...
Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few exotic cars in this area which isn't a big surprise what with the number of doctors and lawyers here.

That said, and not trying for a thread drift, Black92LX your opening comments bemoaning the transition to electronic everything controls in cars is why cars like the Ferrari you cherish are becoming increasingly valuable on the used markets. Enthusiasts have awaken to the reality that the new wizz-bang cars aren't nearly as fun to drive as the older, more pure ones.

This is why the venerable Honda S2000, which only saw a 110k worldwide production during its 10 year run (63k or so in the US), has attracted renewed interest with prices on the used market skyrocketing. Just pure unadulterated fun to drive with its raw handling characteristics, high revving engine, and basic accouterments.

Many who own sophisticated Porsches (among other marques) as well as a S2000 have stated the later is more fun to drive as you feel much more connected and in control.

I will never sell mine. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This Ferrari looks great, but I am still smitten with the SF90 Stradale Ferrari. I will likely never actually see one in the flesh, but Oh to have one in Ferrari fly yellow with a tan leather interior....Heaven!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Oh, and from I can decipher, that 0-100 time of 2.9 seconds is in KPH, not MPH. I mean, this is an Italian video of an Italian car where they use the metric system... no? Big Grin

Ahem, it would actually be 0-62mph in 2.9 sec.
100kph = 62MPH, if we're splitting hairs...
Big Grin

I just KNEW somebody would point that out! Wink

I just rounded down to 60, but yes, 62 is technically correct! Big Grin