SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone been to Puerto Rico lately?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone been to Puerto Rico lately? Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted
How did you like it? Where did you stay? Is there any good diving?

Thanks for any advice.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5332 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I went summer of 2019 before the world went insane. It was one of our stops while on a cruise. Our cruise ship pulled into old San Juan right when those protests were kicking off over the governors leaked homophobic statements. I didn’t really see many protestors but a few people on our ship that strayed further away from the old part of the city said they saw a few protests.

To be completely honest it was one of the highlights of my trip. We walked to Castillo San Cristóbal and spent the day exploring the fortification and learning about the fascinating history of the island. We were there on an absolutely incredible late July day. I want to go back and spend more time exploring old San Juan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input! I’ve never been, so it’s an opportunity to visit a new place, but I’d like to know it’s safe for my family, and that there are things to do besides sit on a beach.

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
Though I haven't been in the last couple years, PR is really nice, of course San Juan is where most everything is located. I have been many times, Good weather, very low taxes decent roads friendly people. It can get really crowded in the summer, probably not during the pandemic though. I spent 17 days in Aguadia about three hours west of San Juan, with the military several years back, and had a blast.
San Juan is a cruise port, so there a really lots of attractions and distractions, jewelry is cheep, rum is cheep. There are two old military forts to tour a large shopping district, The Bacardi and Ron Rico distillery's are worth a visit. Lots of places to eat, Diving. Of course I have no idea what affect the pandemic has played on all this.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read a story about people who are traveling to PR to hunt large Iguanas with high powered airguns. They are evidently overrun with the Iguanas.
Thats sounds like a fun vacation activity!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
High crime rate and no (legal) carry allowed for vacationers.
Many nice people there but too many that aren't either and lots of other nearby places to go like BVI.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I've spent a great deal of time there over the last 20 years or so, and I have been over most the island. There's plenty of diving, from beginner level reef diving to advanced wall diving. There's surfing in Rincon, a bioluminescent bay on the south side of the island(but a better one on Vieques, an island off the east coast) and some excellent deep-sea fishing, depending on the time of year. Fajardo is a great, at all-round area with El Conquistador Hotel, which includes golfing and it's own private island, Palamino, for swimming and snorkeling. There you are also close to the ferries that can take you to Vieques and Culebra islands for the day. Culebra is home to the world-famous Flamenco Beach, frequently cited as one of the top ten beaches in the world.

In the San Juan area, the Condado is a good spot to stay with restaurants, Old San Juan and the fort nearby. Also in greater San Juan is the Isla Verde district, which is close to the airport and features some of the best hotels in PR.

El Yunque Rain Forest, the only tropical rain forest in the US, was damaged by the hurricane in 2017, but is hopefully nice again. It features river tubing in addition to the natural sites.

I can tell you more if you want to shoot me an email.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the information.
Tigerdore, I’ll try and send an email today.

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
Lockdowns and heavy restrictions there, at the moment.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been many times for the past 25 years. I may be jaded because of that and I travel to MANY different islands in the Carribbean. Back when I went there in the late 90's and early 2000's and it was awesome, clean, lots of different things to do, safe, and beautiful. It's really gone down hill in the past 10 years, with a lot of crime, bad economy, dirty etc......Don't get me wrong Old San Juan is still nice, and unique and there are several unique things like the fort, the radar dishes in the ground at Arecibo, etc. But you're always watching your six........

I prefer St. Maarten, the Exumas in the Bahamas (Staniel Cay- Highbourne Cay) but it's a different feel. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
^^^
Am I missing something here?

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
posted January 16, 2021 07:03 PM Hide Post

quote:
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 11312 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014 Reply With QuoteReport This Post
220-9er
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should

posted January 16, 2021 10:09 AM Hide Post
High crime rate and no (legal) carry allowed for vacationers.
Many nice people there but too many that aren't either and lots of other nearby places to go like BVI.

Posts: 6512 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002 Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TigerDore
Picture of TigerDore

posted January 16, 2021 10:10 AM Hide Post
I've spent a great deal of time there over the last 20 years or so, and I have been over most the island. There's plenty of diving, from beginner level reef diving to advanced wall diving. There's surfing in Rincon, a bioluminescent bay on the south side of the island(but a better one on Vieques, an island off the east coast) and some excellent deep-sea fishing, depending on the time of year. Fajardo is a great, at all-round area with El Conquistador Hotel, which includes golfing and it's own private island, Palamino, for swimming and snorkeling. There you are also close to the ferries that can take you to Vieques and Culebra islands for the day. Culebra is home to the world-famous Flamenco Beach, frequently cited as one of the top ten beaches in the world.

In the San Juan area, the Condado is a good spot to stay with restaurants, Old San Juan and the fort nearby. Also in greater San Juan is the Isla Verde district, which is close to the airport and features some of the best hotels in PR.

El Yunque Rain Forest, the only tropical rain forest in the US, was damaged by the hurricane in 2017, but is hopefully nice again. It features river tubing in addition to the natural sites.

I can tell you more if you want to shoot me an email.

Posts: 8305 | Registered: September 26, 2013 Reply With QuoteReport This Post
irreverent
Eye on the
Silver Lining

I just came back 12/25-1/1
they are really crazy with the coovid precautions. full curfew 9pm water was unusually rough. No lounging on the beaches swimming ok walking ok but that's it. we stayed poolside went out for dinner but that's all we wanted was R&R and sunshine, warm temps. GET a covid test and bring it with you. there is a 100% review before you can leave the airport! No Test? go over there to get one and until the results are back you will not leave the airport.
Oh, no alcohol sales on weekends, because I guess Puerto Ricans get drunk on the weekends and get too close to each other Big Grin So they stock up on Fridays. It's like Newsome, Cuomo and Diblasio type rules there. Complete libtard govt thinking.
We still had a good time despite their nonsense.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8375 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Ok, nuff said. I am trying to get away from the Covid over the top stuff and try someplace new, but that sounds like I’d be walking into more of the same, only worse.

Thank you to all who responded.

"Trust, but verify."

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If you go don't forget to try Lizano Salsa. A bottle will no doubt be at every dinning table. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16244 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Ok, nuff said. I am trying to get away from the Covid over the top stuff and try someplace new, but that sounds like I’d be walking into more of the same, only worse.

Thank you to all who responded.

If you want to see a BEAUTIFUL area, go to Staniel Cay yacht club (Bahamas). Beautiful water color, great snorkeling and beaches, etc. Get the hotel package that includes boat, kayaks meals etc. Right not Makers air (owned by Staniel Cay) has a Buy one get one airfare and flies from Fort Lauderdale directly there (but executive airport which is a 25 min uber ride from FLL). You do have to take a Covid test before going, but not much in the way of restrictions once there, and have to take a rapid test after 5 days. Keeps in mind after Jan 26, U.S. requires a rapid covid test from all international passengers anyways.

https://www.stanielcay.com/

Here are some videos of my trips over there:

https://www.youtube.com/channe...i3QylFKug-1JQ95Z0-TQ

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post