SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Mexico state legislature ban Sheriffs from Capitol building...because of guns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico state legislature ban Sheriffs from Capitol building...because of guns Login/Join 
posted
I understand the new governor is more left than before...how is it that New Mexico, sitting between Texas and Arizona, is so blue?

Sheriffs upset they were barred from House gallery Tuesday
quote:
SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) - As hundreds flooded the Roundhouse to take part in the first day of the new session, there were visitors who were shut out of the action Tuesday.

Sheriffs come to the Roundhouse to meet with lawmakers and listen to the governor's speech, but because they were armed, they were told they couldn't come into the House gallery.

"We were allowed to go into the Roundhouse but we weren't allowed to go down onto the floor. We were directed to go to another room and watch what was going on from a TV," Cibola County Sheriff Tony Mace said. "That has never happened to us before and that's a direct violation to the constitution of New Mexico. Not only that, the constitution of the United States, and that's just, as law enforcement officers, as peace officers, we carry weapons. That's just what we do."

About a dozen sheriffs stood together, upset about what happened Tuesday. They say they're the highest ranking law enforcement officials in their respective counties and have a duty to protect people at all times, but felt like that duty was stripped away from them.

"It only makes sense that if something is to happen, wouldn't you want sheriffs, your police chiefs, armed and ready to take action on this?" said another sheriff.

A spokesperson with the Legislative Council Services said in December, the council voted to ban all weapons from the House gallery for all joint sessions of the legislature.

KRQE News 13 is told the only people allowed to have weapons on them during that time is State Police and the Sergeant at Arms.

The sheriffs said that a few representatives brought this up on the floor Wednesday morning, upset about what happened and want this fixed.

Roundhouse security said they're going to clarify if current law enforcement officials are exempt from that council rule before Thursday's next joint session.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I understand the new governor is more left than before...how is it that New Mexico, sitting between Texas and Arizona, is so blue?

Because Bolshevik missionaries go forth into the wilderness to convert the heathens.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
My uneducated guess, hispanic anti-anglo-ism linked to marxism.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
New Mexico just has some weird demographics. There's the very rich, the very poor and not too much in-between. Throw in centuries of immigration across the border, indian reservations and lefties who've made Santa Fe their new home and that's how it got there.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next the New Mexico hospitals will ban doctors because of stethoscopes.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
FOP’s I see usually endorse Democrat candidates, so I think this is great! He says they have a “duty” to protect...um no, stop right there, you don’t. Legally speaking you can hide behind your car like a bitch while people are getting shot at, ask Scott Israel.

So yeah, get treated like the rest of us who are having our 2A stripped away while you endorse blue candidates. Reap it boys, take your sob story to someone who cares.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
shoe, meet other foot.

suck's doesn't it?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Next the New Mexico hospitals will ban doctors because of stethoscopes.

The simple answer; stop protecting the legislators. Period. Just stop, don't show up at all for them. Go protect the citizens, let the politicians fend for themselves. They can just carry a "Gun Free Zone" sign around with them, and post it where ever they go. They can carry it shoved up their asses, I'm sure most of their buttholes have seen two way traffic before...

This is more or less where I stand as well. Law enforcement isn’t hired to provide VIP protection, and pulling them away for protective details hurts the citizens on their own dime. And prohibit them from paying for private security with taxpayer dollars. When they have to pay for it out of pocket, the tune will change quickly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We were allowed to go into the Roundhouse but we weren't allowed to go down onto the floor. We were directed to go to another room and watch what was going on from a TV," Cibola County Sheriff Tony Mace said. "That has never happened to us before and that's a direct violation to the constitution of New Mexico. Not only that, the constitution of the United States...

Welcome to the party, pal! Kinda sucks, doesn't it?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Dear All, as one of the resident furriners, I usually keep my mouth shut about politics in the USA, after all, I have no say in any kind of election.

But one of THE defining props of the Constitution and the American 'way of life' is the Second amendment, and right now, it seems to be getting shot full of holes by your fellow Americans who a following a different piper.

As a frequent visitor to the USA, with many dear friends there, I'm afraid that one day the area of holes is going to be greater than the 'fabric'. Just how people who have sworn on their swearing-in day to uphold the CoTUSA can then pick the bits they like, and play down the rest of it, seems almost treasonous to me.

Apologies for butting in, but it is of great concern to me.

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you can see what is happening, Tac.

From the view of the free states, we see these assholes trying to take over here by giving our wealth away to the parasite class if they vote for them. And then they still give them nothing but tyranny after they do vote them in.

Georgia dodged a racist commie tin pot banana republic dictator bullet this past election and it's only going to get harder from here on out to keep them out.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple solution, pull the protection details. Obviously they need no protection so don't waste the manpower or money.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The islamic terrorist camp in New Mexico must be looking at the Roundhouse and licking their chops now.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Other than this is just plain stupidity, is there a problem this addresses? Have there been rouge sheriffs in the capitol shooting up the place.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3793 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
But one of THE defining props of the Constitution and the American 'way of life' is the Second amendment, and right now, it seems to be getting shot full of holes by your fellow Americans who a following a different piper.

Good assessment, Tac.
Freedom loving people are under assault. It's most noticeable in our 'blue states' but it's a disease that is spreading...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Other than this is just plain stupidity, is there a problem this addresses? Have there been rouge sheriffs in the capitol shooting up the place.
I don't know if there have been any red sheriffs there or not--or rogue ones, either. Wink

Regarding New Mexico politics--just take the "New" off the state name--it's principally Hispanic and is the only state where Mexican is an official language.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile in Utah, all law abiding, legal residents can carry as they please in our Capitol building (with a CCW). New Mexico has its head up its ass.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Welcome to the party, pal! Kinda sucks, doesn't it?

Righteo. Exactly how I feel.

If I can't do it, then there is no reason they should be able to do it.

And, as I understand it, the Staties and Sergeant At Arms will still be armed for protection detail. This article is just addressing the Sheriffs and deputies in the gallery who are there to observe, not work a detail. So...suck it Sheriff.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
So yeah, get treated like the rest of us who are having our 2A stripped away while you endorse blue candidates. Reap it boys, take your sob story to someone who cares.

My opinion as well. Police in general should be treated the same as everyone else.

All animals are created equal, but some more equal than others.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
their stupid fucks and I hope they pay the price

being stupid should hurt

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post