SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone versed in Cricut Makers????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone versed in Cricut Makers???? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Just got my wife one.
Her friend bought water bottles and did vinyl letters for the kids names on the bottle.
She used a Cricut. My wife wanted to do such things.
I bought her a Cricut Maker. Any good YouTubers for the Cricut Maker??

Anything cool I can do with this thing? It wasn’t cheap!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for Cricut as my use is most likely much different.
Personally, I have a Graphtec that I primarily use to cut Cerakote masks and letter cutout as well.
I think a lot of the Cricut users do fabrics and T-shirts and the like.
Maybe have her look into YT for what ever type of project she contemplates.
One thing is to learn the software and to acquire relevant images.
I use ESTY and buy svg images then convert or manipulate with Corel Draw.
Imagine the Cricut software is much easier and flexible for home projects.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
All of the vehicles get skulls everywhere and race numbers on the sides.

Duh.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife uses her Cricut quite heavily on a lot of different projects and her work turns out very nicely.

I will asked her if she has any suggestions to pass along.

Regards,

Rob

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My wife makes me t-shirts all the time. She also made labels for my tool boxes. Now every drawer has what’s inside. It helps me to find stuff and put stuff away where it belongs.

Oh, she also made my logo and phone number for my equipment. I’ll have to get photos.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Wife said the Cricut website has basic lessons then YouTube

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought a vinyl cutter from US Cutter for few hundred bucks so I could do larger things. It’s paid for itself many times over.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My very creative wife says there are a lot of very good resources on-line for tips and tricks, etc.

She said that the "Cricut Tips for Beginners and Beyond - Facebook" is good but so are a lot of other web-sites, user groups, forums, etc.

If she has a specific project in mind then search on key-words for it.

It sounds like a project / hobby that has a little bit of a learning curve but once you get the 'hang of it' as they say it gets easier.

Even Cricut's 'Design Space' application software has a lot of capability.

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable!!!!
I guess I should have done more research. Complete and utter garbage. I had no idea you had to pay just to tell the damn machine to do something.
I just paid damn near $400 and you want $4.99 so my wife can make a cut out of my kids name to go on school supplies.

What kind of crock is this?

Yes, I realized one would have to pay for the materials, cutters, tools, etc.
I had no idea we would either have to pay $10 a month or $4.99 a project if we did not want to use the standard font.

I am so pissed right now.

————————————————

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Wait, there's a way to do it. I installed fonts from somewhere like fontsquirrel.com and the fonts I purchased for my logo on her computer. Then they were available in the cricut design space. I also usually make vector images for her to cut out for me.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Wait, there's a way to do it. I installed fonts from somewhere like fontsquirrel.com and the fonts I purchased for my logo on her computer. Then they were available in the cricut design space. I also usually make vector images for her to cut out for me.

Guess I’ll look into this

————————————————

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I've done a few things on mine and never paid anybody a nickel for anything.

You can import line art from anywhere, run it through the Cricut Design Space and it works fine.

I did make an attempt to cut stick-on vinyl labels for my tool box but they won't cut properly. I'm thinking the font is too small but I haven't gotten back to working on it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post