SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AirAsia pilot calls on passengers to 'pray'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AirAsia pilot calls on passengers to 'pray' Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Not really what you want to hear coming from your pilot Eek

Passengers described the wild ride as being like “a washing machine” with rapid shaking and rattling following a “huge bang” that took place around 75 minutes into the six-hour journey. The shaking, framed as something of an “engine seizure,” was reported to have been so violent that the pilot – even with 44 years of experience – called on passengers to “pray.”

Passengers were also asked to “keep an eye on” the engine outside their window, as the pilot did not have a good view from the cabin.

No one was injured during the terrifying trip on the budget airline, although marine emergency services north of Perth were placed on standby incase a water landing was required, Australia’s local ABC reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...ouble-on-flight.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Jesus that ranks right up there with the Bomb Tech yelling for you to try to keep up while running by.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Eek

Passengers were also asked to “keep an eye on” the engine outside their window, as the pilot did not have a good view from the cabin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where is Ted Striker when you need him.....

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2508 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious what would Sig Forum pilots have to say to their passengers?

I agree with the above post, in that his response did not seem very reassuring. Of course we do not have the whole picture.

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
"water landing" aka, fucking crashing into the water....anything not put down on the runway is a crash. Some are just more survivable than others.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So much for budget airlines, something has to give.

I can hear cousin Eddy bellow out,"shitter's full!"

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Wife- "The budget airline is running $ 19 flights at the local regional airport. We should go on a mini weekend vacation."

me- "Bitch, are you smoking fucking dope? "

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^your mother must be so proud.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Wife- "The budget airline is running $ 19 flights at the local regional airport. We should go on a mini weekend vacation."

me- "Bitch, are you smoking fucking dope? "

Oh man. Really?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
If you dig deeper into the technical side, my best guess is that this is another failure of sorts in one of the Trent engines. They've (Trent) been having a bunch of problems lately and iirc, the engine in this plane the same model that's been having other problems.

Not the airine but the engine manufacturer. I think you'll find that in an effort to make the engine high tech and fuel efficient, the compressor core isn't as robust as needed. Could also be a fan issue as well.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If you believe in prayer, hop to it skippy. If you don't...now might be a good time to start.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I imagine pilots have "book" procedures they follow for different events. They must have gotten to the last page where it says: "If you have reached this point and problem is not resolved, ask passengers to pray."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the old joke about the El Al flight that was in trouble.

The punchline was the captain saying, "Repeat after me: 'Yisgadal v'yiskadash ...'"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Remind me not to fly AirAsia.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
So, question for the Airbus jet jockey's. The video I've seen shows the engine turning with horrible imbalance thus the airframe vibration. I presume it's shutdown and just wind milling. But, isn't there any way on that aircraft to stop that engine from wind milling?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
So, question for the Airbus jet jockey's. The video I've seen shows the engine turning with horrible imbalance thus the airframe vibration. I presume it's shutdown and just wind milling. But, isn't there any way on that aircraft to stop that engine from wind milling?

For the most part, No. You cannot stop cock a turbofan engine.

You can a turbo-prop, as the sprag or hydraulic coupling, will allow the engine to turn, if it is still running, and the prop feathered, but a turbo fan, the fan disc will continue to turn unless the shaft is seized completely, regardless of the turbine section rotation.

And engines have different designs among the type, but most all have multiple shafts and sections that can turn independent each other.

Yeah, that engine was just a tad out of balance...

I have been been on an AC-130 with an engine failure, but it was contained in less than a minute and RTB uneventful. I cannot imagine 5 hours of that! Eek

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Reminds me of the old joke about the El Al flight that was in trouble.

The punchline was the captain saying, "Repeat after me: 'Yisgadal v'yiskadash ...'"

The way I heard it was a Syrian pilot talking to an Israeli tower guy.

"Mayday, Mayday!!! This is Syrian flight with engine fire and want to land in any Middle East airport, not Israeli..." (and back and forth radio calls)

Then Israeli control tower guy: "Repeat after me: "Yitgadal v'yitkadash. ..."

But the punch line is funny, no matter the set up.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As soon as I saw this story, it reminded me of this:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
usually you have to check into a cheap motel
and put .25 cents in the box by the bed for 15 minutes to get a ride like that

Posts: 23485 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post