SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Torque Wrench…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torque Wrench… Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
But the OP has a harbor freight and on their website a new one is $22.
I would not be inclined to place my trust in a $22 torque wrench

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
All good comments. Thanks.

The chicom wrench has been used extensively in my racing and tech days when I had my Porsche race car. Given the use and potential initial quality it might be better to just replace it but I’ll keep looking into it.

What brands do people like that are reasonably priced? I’m not interested in paying Snap On prices at this stage.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Who and where in Maine? I've go a Torque Wrench (actually a couple of 'em) I purchased on eBay that I need to get calibrated.

Email sent to your profile address.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

What brands do people like that are reasonably priced? I’m not interested in paying Snap On prices at this stage.

It certainly isn't inexpensive, but I would recommend Proto for a good quality torque wrench that is cheaper than Snap-On.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30429 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Here's my thread from when I was looking for a reasonably-priced, quality torque wrench five years ago: Kobalt 1/2-in Drive 50-ft lb to 250-ft lb Click Torque Wrench: Yae or Nay?

Looks like that Wright Tool torque wrench I got has become quite a bit more expensive since I got mine.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CDI manufacturers the non digital torque wrenches for Snap On as of 5 years ago to my knowledge. Purchase mine at a fraction of the cost compared to the comparable Snap On model.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Get a Tekton or Icon split beam torque wrench.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have 3 CDI's and all are exceptional, accurate but a bit pricey.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Might be worth checking around at some pawn shops, SnapOn tools are a big item being pawned, either by shops that need money or mechanics....

Mine is a Sears model, had it for years, as far as I know it's accurate enough, probably more than my Armstrong model...

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
3/4" drive Torque wrench sale.
https://tools.woot.com/offers/...nt_lnd_cat_tool_5_56

I thought I would toss this in to the discussion.
If you have a Motorhome or a truck you have need of a 3/4" torque wrench to handle tire/wheel removal and install. Over the years I have substituted different tactics to get in the ball park of the proper wheel lug torque range. I have been looking for an actual 3/4" torque wrench at a reduced price for a long time, this is it. I ordered it, very happy with the wrench.
Plenty good to handle the torque specs of lug nuts.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post