SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kobalt 1/2-in Drive 50-ft lb to 250-ft lb Click Torque Wrench: Yae or Nay?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kobalt 1/2-in Drive 50-ft lb to 250-ft lb Click Torque Wrench: Yae or Nay? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Have a one-off need to apply 100 ft. lbs. of torque to some fasteners. Current 3/8 inch drive beam torque wrench goes only to 75. Been wanting a click stop torque wrench for years, anyway, and I've an annual need to torque a pair of nuts to precisely 60 ft. lbs., for which I've been using the beam wrench. (Which is a minor PITA.)

Point is: Not about to go spending $400 for a Snap-On wrench. Lowe's has this Kobalt wrench for $90. Gets good reviews.

Thoughts?

Another thing: Many test/measurement instruments are most accurate at mid-range, falling off in accuracy at the ends of their ranges. Does that apply to torque wrenches, or are they equally accurate throughout their ranges?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
If it’s a one off use and torque is not terribly critical you could get something cheap from Harbor Freight. I rebuilt a performance dirt bike engine and transmission using a Harbor Freight.

If it’s critical I would only trust a quality manufactured one that was recently calibrated.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I bought the exact same one in Alaska in 2010. I swapped my truck's summer and winter wheels out for 5 years in Alaska (Silverado) and 2 years in Canada (Frontier). In Canada, I did my friend's BMW 3 series too. In other words, I've used it at 3 different torque values and worked great at all 3.

If some dirt bag stole it, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First torque wrenches struggle at the end of their ranges. Second if the fastener are not life safety have at it and buy anything. Otherwise either go somewhere that will do it for you or suck it up and buy something with NIST certification and annually get it certified.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I have one I bought to torque axle nuts. It works great. Buy it. Just make sure you don't get the digital.

My lug nut torque wrench is an older USA made Craftsman. One of these days I'll get it calibrated. I've checked them both against my Harbor Freight digital torque adapter and that's good enough for my needs.

Remember to torque with smooth even pressure. It's natural to want to jerk the handle when you think you are getting close. This will cause your faste er to not be torqued properly.

Buy a smaller wrench for your 60 lb-ft needs. Torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their range.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
For one off uses, I recommend the Craftsman ones. No, they are not professional quality, but do the job. I have 2 of them and they are pretty much on the money.

I also have the Harbor Freight 1/4” one that is close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades. I wouldn’t trust it for anything important. LOL.

RBeach

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Mill, SC | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Get a Precision Instruments split beam torque wrench, such as model C3FR250F. It has the ease-of-use of a click-type wrench and the durability of a floating beam wrench. It holds calibration much, much better than click wrenches. You don't even have to set it back to '0' after every use. About the only disadvantage is that it doesn't work in the counter-clockwise direction.

Precision Instruments makes the split beam wrenches for Snap-On, but of course the Snap-Ons cost twice as much. I've found used P.I. torque wrenches on ebay and at pawn shops for under $100.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My friend runs a calibration lab, and I've seen wrenches fail at the ends and I've also seen them fail progressively throughout the range. It really depends on where the fail point is in the wrench.

My recommendation is to go ahead and get the Kobalt wrench, and if it's critical, send it for a calibration. Shouldn't be more than $50, and you'll have the peace of mind of knowing it's good.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've used my Harbor Freight wrench to torque everything on my motorcycle for 8 or 9 years now. Works well.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts.

Because I use my wrenches professionally, I keep them calibrated. I have a number of snap-on and Mac wrenches. None of mine have ever failed, but I have seen some spectacular failures in snap-on wrenches that destroyed the calibration machine, requiring it to be rebuilt and recalibrated.

I have an ADT wrench bought at an auto shop in Wyoming over 20 years ago that's still going strong, no issues with calibration. The point is that it doesn't need to be a snap-on or other wrench.

That said, you can pick up a good snap-on wrench all day long on ebay and other locations for not so much money.

I haven't used a cobalt wrench; until you've had it calibrated, however, you really have no idea how accurate it is. You can get small torque meters that go between the wrench and the work that can be used to do a home check on the torque to see if you're close (but of course the meter would also require calibration and verification).

Torque wrenches, despite what most think, are not about the twisting motion put on the bolt: they're about bolt stretch. That's the point of torque values, rather than the compression force implied by a certain torque value. It's an imprecise, round-about way of measuring bolt stretch, and consequently a way of approximating the distance from failure of the bolt; the value changes each time the bolt is used, though we continue to use the same torque.

Placing the torque on the bolt should give the same compressive force on the part that we're torquing, but it doesn't. It varies considerably, and because we're measuring rotational force on the bolt when the real question is bolt stretch, we're faced with the friction of the threads and other factors which mean that a given amount of bolt stretch occurs at the same torque value, and consequently the amount of compressive force varies, even though the torque value is the same.

It takes a while to wrap your head around that.

The point there is that you can get the same torque value on multiple tests, and but the actual value of the fastener compressing the parts will vary each time, and isn't nearly as precise as people think. If it's not a critical part, and if you're not willing to take the time and expense to get a quality, calibrated wrench, then you're probably not going to hurt much with the hardware store wrench.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I needed a torque wrench as well. After doing a fair amount of research I settled on the Tekton 24335. It gets great reviews, there are YT videos to look at. About $40

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the Kobalt torque wrench, but I recently purchased the equivalent Husky torque wrench from Home Depot and like it so far. There is a difference on the warranty - the Husky has a lifetime no questions asked, Kobalt has a 1 year limited guarantee.

Posts: 1807 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind that the warranty won't cover anything you break with the wrench, and it tells you nothing about the quality or calibration of the wrench. When the wrench goes "click," you have no actual idea of the torque value you've just imparted, or how close it is to the setting you've made on the wrench.

Bear in in mind, too, that torque values change over time; what the wrench was doing this year isn't necessarily what it's doing next year, or after x amount of use.

If it's ever been bumped or dropped or jarred, the calibration cannot be relied upon.

Do you suppose the hardware store or harbor freight handles them like glass?

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's a solid TQ wrench and outperformed the craftsman digital that my friend had. The lock up is solid, where his was a bitch sketch. They are made in Taiwan so it's a quality tool, not China crap. I've had the 3/8" and 1/2" for 3 years or so and no issues. I use them working on my cars.

It is MUCH better than the HF equivalent. There screw in lockup sucks. I know because I have their 1/4" wrench because I use that size so rarely.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7082 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
They are made in Taiwan so it's a quality tool, not China crap.

Now that was funny.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Loaner from the local auto parts store.

The harbor freight ones I have seen independently tested and are suprisingly accurate.
Remember to back the presure off the spring after each use.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Now that was funny.

It was not a joke. I lived in Taiwan, I know the difference.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7082 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Now that was funny.

Not really. Taiwan is putting out decent stuff these days. They actually take pride in their work.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Lived in Taiwan" and "quality mechanical measuring instrument" are not really the same thing, unless you lived in Taiwan calibrating torque wrenches to US standards. You see my point.

Been there too.

'Made in Taiwan' is not really the stamp of top-shelf. You don't really hear "if you want quality, buy Taiwanese." There's a reason.

Still funny, though.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It's good to know that I could have gone with the Kobalt tool and been ok.

There's a guy not far away with a pair of used Snap-On torque wrenches: $100 ea. or both for $175. The larger of those probably would have done, too.

But I decided to stop by my favourite local tool store. As I was driving over I was thinking to myself "What would be perfect would be a range of 20-150 lbs."

Lo and behold: The Wright Tool 4477 Micro-Adjustable Torque Wrench: 20-150 lbs. Big Grin

Comes with a Certificate of Calibration and made right here in the good ol' US of A Smile. In Ohio, in fact.

The store's price was really good, too: $160, which was cheaper than Amazon and most other places.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post