SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Goo(e)y drying water, what causes it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goo(e)y drying water, what causes it? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Excuse my poor english on this matter.

Where i leave the dishes and pans to dry, the water is collected by another pan. Do not know the exact terms for these thingies.
The base pan is plastic and i've noticed the the water turns to transparent goo. It's like a lube coating.

Any clue what creates this? Is it in our water?
Dangerous or unhealthy?

Thanks.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12124 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
hey Nick

can't think of any reason why that would be healthy

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some kind of residue I guess. Is there a way to have your water tested?

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Probably bacteria feeding on the food residues in the rinse water. Dense concentrations of bacteria are often perceived as a "slime." I believe this is how penicillin was first discovered/suspected, when it was noticed that mold growing on bread killed portions of a bacterial slime.

Posts: 6489 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
How old is the container tray? Is the plastic breaking down?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Probably not good....I’d bleach the drip pan to kill any mold or stuff growing

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is that something is leaching out of the base unit.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find an equivalent bowl made out of porcelein, put some water in that and see if it does the same thing over time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We see this in the shallow dog water bucket in the shop. We've cleaned it and it always comes back. I've assumed it's caused by the plastic. It doesn't occur in the ceramic bowl in the house.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
If it's clean water draining off clean dishes I would suspect something in the water.

Or, could it be too much water softener?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
It does remind me of the dog's bowl, come to think of it. But i always thought it was the dog's drool...

The only surface where it's so obvious is where we leave the cooking stuff to dry. Same goes for where the silverware does, another plastic thingy. Both are not to old and the previous set had the same effect.

Must say i do not use tons of detergent while doing the dishes, do them manually one by one.

This is still the Fourth World and things are far from looking up, on the contrary.
Having the water tested, not going to happen.

Past 170 days of lockdown and nobody mentioned being near the end of it.

You can't imagine the issues the building is having with water right now but this drool effect has been going on for years.
Coming out of a harsh rash i have on my shoulders, it was on the back of my skull for a long time and kept me switching shampoos alk the time. Now moved to my shoulders with a vengeance.

In november, it will be FOUR YEARS since i asked the building's governor to do a maintenance cleanup of the water and draining pipes. Still waiting.
Thanks everyone.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12124 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Try washing the rack, and the dishes, with boiled water. See if it still does it.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a simple "slime mold". Should be harmless to humans. Best way to prevent it is to keep those areas such as the drip pan as dry as possible.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
you may also check the discharge side of the washer, the drain line may be clogged??? i usually once amonth crank up my hot water hear and run the washer with bleech to sanitize it.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post