SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Building a temporary dance floor for a party, which wood should I use? (Update / pics on page 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a temporary dance floor for a party, which wood should I use? (Update / pics on page 2) Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
My daughter's 13th birthday party is in a little over a week. She loves to dance, so we are going to have a bunch of her friends over and the party will be a dance party at the house.

I am going to build a temporary dance floor, set up on the driveway, which is nicely level concrete. The size will be 12'x12'. I can give a quick sanding if needed. I plan to paint it in checkerboard pattern, which should also help with smoothness.

This will only have a lifespan of one evening. I do not plan to re-use, mainly because then I would have to store it somewhere.

What material do I want to use? I am thinking plywood? But before I spend $100 on wood and another $20 on paint, is there something else I should consider?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: holdem,

Posts: 2361 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
You can buy peel and stick vinyl tiles for less than a dollar each. I'd buy 70 white, 70 black, and stick them right to your driveway. Peel them off when you're done. If you're worried about too much effort peeling them, lay down a heavy sheet of plastic first and stick it to them. Then just roll it up and toss it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15863 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’d use plywood and 2x4s. I’d wrap the edges with 2x4 and all the seams. I’d put a 2x4 between the centers of the 4x8 sheet of plywood so you’re effectively making 4x4 squares. That way it doesn’t flex a lot.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Home Depot or Lowes, whichever has the best return policy...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What about inexpensive laminate flooring?

The type that clicks together over a foam underlayment.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
OSB over a 2x4 base structure. Wish I'd have known about this a few weeks ago. I would have offered you 4 or 5 sheets of OSB I eventually gave away to a neighbor.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
You can buy peel and stick vinyl tiles for less than a dollar each. I'd buy 70 white, 70 black, and stick them right to your driveway. Peel them off when you're done. If you're worried about too much effort peeling them, lay down a heavy sheet of plastic first and stick it to them. Then just roll it up and toss it.

Great idea. I just looked them up on HD, they are $.69 per sq ft, so that would not cost anymore than plywood. I will check them out this weekend.

Posts: 2361 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
What about inexpensive laminate flooring?

The type that clicks together over a foam underlayment.

Also a great idea, Lowes has laminate for $.79 per sq ft. I had no idea it was that inexpensive so I did not even think to look at that option.

posted Hide Post
I know this is not the exact answer, but
Have you looked into a rental?
They come and install and take away when done.
Probably less than buying materials to DIY.

Posts: 1085 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Consider making a reusable dance floor since you might want to use it again, or maybe somebody else would. You could lay down plywood sheets with unglued biscuits with a wood strip screwed to the perimeter. Cover with checkerboard vinyl sheet flooring and cut to separate the sheets after the first use.

Posts: 7643 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about renting one? Probably cheaper, definitely easier and less wasteful: https://www.orlandodancefloorrental.com/

Posts: 1012 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
I know this is not the exact answer, but
Have you looked into a rental?

quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
How about renting one? Probably cheaper, definitely easier and less wasteful.

I did look into that. The company you linked was one of the companies I got a quote from. Their quote was $337 for a 12'x12'. And they were the lowest quote.

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with the cement?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4604 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:

And some sidewalk chalk, have your daughter help with the layout.

Posts: 2556 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I think you'd want something smooth, like the current concrete, the tile someone mentioned or a rental floor. Plywood can be rough w/knots - you do not want someone tripping on a hole or rough area (liability) on a dance floor you made. IMO, your best bet would be to rent a dance floor.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd mark out a "floor" as big as possible with 2" red/black/red duct tape and put down sawdust. Or sand. Or straw.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We used rolled vinyl floor for our wedding, used clear tape for the seams, worked great.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
quote:

And some sidewalk chalk, have your daughter help with the layout.

I thought about it. It's not super rough, but it's not smooth like a garage floor either. For 13 year olds, it would probably work fine. But if I can get something to work better and not spend $400, I would like the nicer presentation.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
We used rolled vinyl floor for our wedding, used clear tape for the seams, worked great.

Hmmm, interesting. Lowes sells this in 12 ft rolls as cheap as $.49 per sq ft. So I could buy one 12'x12' piece for $70-$100 bucks depending on the color and be done with it.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
This is your chance! Honey, we need a new driveway! Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6900 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post