SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Picking new wheels is tough!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking new wheels is tough!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Being a car guy I can't get a new vehicle and not tinker with it in some for or fashion. Sadly the Toyota Sienna is not much for the modification world there are tons on the road and all pretty much look the same.
So I am wanting to swap out the wheels. I found some that I really like the look of but can't bring myself to spend $510 a wheel!!

Van looks nice and clean but my budget for wheels and tires is about 2 grand. These wheels alone surpass that. I have found a couple that are similar but have not found any pictures of what they look like installed and I doubt I ever will.

Number 1 has more spokes like the original but does not have a lip and number 2 has less spokes but has the lip. In the picture the lip is too deep but that is also a 10.5" wide wheel and I will be buying the 8.5" so the lip will be 2" less.

So tough as one can't buy wheels mount them and return them if you don't like them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hold up let me call exhibit and see if he can pimp yo mini van.

I see no need for this, but if you got the spare change, and it's important to you, get the ones you like. Three or six years of looking at the tires and wishing you got the ones you wanted will suck. Spend the extra dough if feasible.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I counted the same number of spokes (10) between the 2 you posted, but still less than the sample pic?

I prefer the rimmed version myself, but it will also depend on the stance of the vehicle. The sample pic is very low, so the recessed rim give a bit of depth to the wheel. Up higher a bit, and the sleeker look of the flush rim might look better...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Ditch the Sienna and get an SUV.

If not, the first set looks better.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Find out where homey in the hood gets his rims.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black, I feel your pain...I have always had to mod every car or truck I owned...engine mods, lift kits exhaust, tires and rims....If it makes you happy then get the ones you want!

I can tell you this though, a few years ago I had a really nice Tahoe and a really nice Frontier and I realized I was spending too much on things that didn't matter in the long run so the Nissan went away and was replaced by a bone stock Honda sedan and I have driven the crap out of that Honda with no desire to mod it in any way and it has been very freeing!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I counted the same number of spokes (10) between the 2 you posted, but still less than the sample pic?

I prefer the rimmed version myself, but it will also depend on the stance of the vehicle. The sample pic is very low, so the recessed rim give a bit of depth to the wheel. Up higher a bit, and the sleeker look of the flush rim might look better...

You are correct. I guess I got googly eyed counted 8. But the recount got 10 as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
Ditch the Sienna and get an SUV.

If not, the first set looks better.

It is all about the family and practicality. The van is far more practical. Trust me, I was so close to pulled my the trigger on a Lexus LX470.
But the sliding doors and space of the van can't be beaten for practicality of small kids.

————————————————

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Go to the nearest Army base, just outside of base you'll find plenty of shops where you can buy rims/tires on a payment plan. Interest is only about 18% but you'll be able to go way over your budget of $2k that way. Big Grin

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You're going to make a racing Sienna?

You don't want to hear this, but while this isn't exactly putting lipstick on a pig, it is putting fancy mag wheels on a mini-van. I'd save my money.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Paint the inside of the wheels that give a contrast to the color of the vehicle.

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

You don't want to hear this, but while this is exactly putting lipstick on a pig, it is putting fancy mag wheels on a mini-van. I'd save my money.

Big Grin Big Grin Jazzing up the family vehicle is the first thing they do in CA. Cool

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Your car isn't going to look anything like the one in your first picture with just wheels. I suspect that van has air ride, or a really aggressive coilover setup. The wheels in the first picture are 3 piece which is always more expensive. My emails in my profile if you want to send me some models you're interested in, I have accounts with nearly every major wheel manufacturer and distributor and I'd be happy to give you my cost on them.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Go to the nearest Army base, just outside of base you'll find plenty of shops where you can buy rims/tires on a payment plan. Interest is only about 18% but you'll be able to go way over your budget of $2k that way. Big Grin

When I was 18 I managed a wheel and stereo shop literally next to an Air Force base. I never understood how these young kids afforded 5-10k dollar wheels. If I knew then what I know now id have tried to talk them out of it.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Wow.....$2,000......what am I missing. Put that money in an IRA instead.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Even the least expensive but still good quality tires are going to run you nearly $1000 mounted. That doesn't leave much of a budget for the wheels.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't want to hear this, but while this isn't exactly putting lipstick on a pig, it is putting fancy mag wheels on a mini-van. I'd save my moneyy.

No racing but it will likely get some Megan Racing suspension components to tighten her up a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Your car isn't going to look anything like the one in your first picture with just wheels. I suspect that van has air ride, or a really aggressive coilover setup. The wheels in the first picture are 3 piece which is always more expensive. My emails in my profile if you want to send me some models you're interested in, I have accounts with nearly every major wheel manufacturer and distributor and I'd be happy to give you my cost on them.

Has a coil over setup. Those are actually the 1 piece model the 3 piece are about twice as much.
http://vipmodular.us/?portfolios=vrc-110

I know it won't look identical as I won't be lowering it because of the road to my gun club.
Thanks for the offer I'll get an email to you.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Even the least expensive but still good quality tires are going to run you nearly $1000 mounted. That doesn't leave much of a budget for the wheels.

$750 for a set of 245/50/19 or 245/45/20. Leaving me about $1300. I am talking a daily driven minivan here so knock off wheels are just fine for this application which is very doable for that price.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Wow.....$2,000......what am I missing. Put that money in an IRA instead.

No way man.

Buy Ammo!! Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
For some reason, that car looks like a hearse to me. A cool hearse, but still a hearse.

Posts: 20564 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Large chromed coffee can exhaust would be much cheaper, give a great rattling putt putt sound, and add maybe 1/4 HP, + or - !

Sorry, but that is what the next farm over kid did!

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't want to hear this, but while this isn't exactly putting lipstick on a pig, it is putting fancy mag wheels on a mini-van. I'd save my money.

Could build one of these. 1,000hp Honda mini van. Big Grin

https://youtu.be/QYXSKto-nVY

https://youtu.be/gIutWHOTDqQ

On my phone, can't embed.

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post