SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "Previous Employer" Dream
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Previous Employer" Dream Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Nope, not a lawyer. I wouldn't be surprised that the AF (academic fail) dream occurs more often wth people who spent longer hours than most in college/grad school. Perhaps we should call it PASD (Post-Academic Stress Dreaming).

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have dream about being at the music store I worked at in Florida. My boss was/is a very knowledgeable guy, but is notorious for being extremely difficult to work for. My dreams usually involve me failing or upsetting him in some way, but I handle it as a man almost ten years older who is further along in his career would, instead of the way I would as a man in his mid-20's lacking experience and confidence.

It's like a weird overlay of my current self, and the way the store looks now, with the new employees I met the last time I visited (who were the high school kids I had talked gear with a decade ago, each of us now standing on the other side of the counter), and the base layer of the whole thing being the very real relationships and history we have. It just sets the stage and away my mind runs with a story of how I'm back at my old job today, as if this is what would be happening tomorrow. And I get these every few months, up to maybe four times a year, the last four years.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like a few others here I've had one that still pops up that started my senior year of high school (I graduated in 2003). It's May or June and I get pulled into the office and asked why I skipped (fill in the blank of some stupid elective) all semester and now that it's the end of the year I won't have enough credits to graduate.

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
In high school 25+ years ago, we had "A Days", "B Days" and so forth. I had gym class for "A Days" and always seemed to forget to bring my gym clothes those days, which meant you usually got a zero for the day.

Do you know I STILL wake up in a cold sweat from a dream where I'm walking the halllway at my high school and I have gym class next and I just realized it's an "A Day" and I don't have my gym clothes? It's so crazy real like I've gone back in time to that very instant!

I also get the ones where I've managed to forget about a class I had for an entire semester then it dawns on me the final is that day.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
It has been a few years, but I used to have the college dream, too. I would be walking into a final exam having never attended the class or read the book. Weird. Not a lawyer either.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm not a lawyer. I always thought it was the "WMU" dream because anyone that I know that went to Western Michigan University has the same dream. Didn't realize others had it as well.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had one of those dreams. If I did though, I would hope it was about my time at JCP. I had a blast at that job. It's been 17 years....

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not past jobs, but I've woken up for work having spent the night dreaming about my current job. Done it while working a couple jobs, current one included. Usually a cold sweat, destroyed bed kinda dream where I am out of bed standing about the same time I wake up.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Anyone else have a dream like that on a regular basis?

Not anymore, but for years I regularly had a similar dream.

I worked in a grocery store through high school and college. Even though I moved to a different city after graduation, I would have a dream that I walked into the store, went to the break room and would see my name on the work schedule.

I would tell the manager, I don't work here anymore; I don't even live here anymore. He would just look at me and say "If your name's on the schedule, I expect you to be here".

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does this one have anything to do with getting your Final exam schedule and realizing there is a class on the list that some how you skipped the entire semester, and now have to show up and take the final?

Yep. This one too. Just as you described.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Does this one have anything to do with getting your Final exam schedule and realizing there is a class on the list that some how you skipped the entire semester, and now have to show up and take the final?
Yup. Two or three times a year. Damn, I hate that one.
Holy shit, same here regarding the dream content and occurrence rate. It really pisses me off when it happens.
This one, I have also had! Very weird.
Me too! It's stressful enough of a dream that I've thought about posting here.

For me, it's highschool. First is the struggle to find the right classroom, with no recollection of which classes I'm taking, then it's the exam that for the class I haven't been to all semester.
This is really interesting. Four people have posted that they have had the same dream. I don't know about Dakor, but the other three people are all lawyers. Three out of four. Maybe four out of four (Dakor?).

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Make that five!

Funny though: I only had the dream about college. Not law school and not the bar exam. (I guess they were nightmare-ish enough when I was awake that they never entered my dreams. Wink )

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

Anyone else have a dream like that on a regular basis?

Not anymore, but for years I regularly had a similar dream.

I worked in a grocery store through high school and college. Even though I moved to a different city after graduation, I would have a dream that I walked into the store, went to the break room and would see my name on the work schedule.

I would tell the manager, I don't work here anymore; I don't even live here anymore. He would just look at me and say "If your name's on the schedule, I expect you to be here".

That's kinda funny.

I have had tbe 'previous employer' dreams. More often it is a dream where I get a part-time job and then completely forget to go to the job. A couple of times there has been a combination dream of getting a job with the former employer and then forgetting that I was hired. Once it was so vivid that when I woke up I thought that I was late for work! Ugh!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've also had dreams where I find myself at a job I haven't worked at in 20 years, BUT it's the present day yet I'm working with people I worked with 20 years ago who are still there and they don't bat an eyelash that I've come back to work there 20 years later.

A similar one I had a couple times was being made to go back to Army Basic Training in my 40's. Last time I did it at age 18! Eek

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Since I retired, I have dreams (nightmares Smile), of being back to work. Big Grin

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
I have also been having a dream about a girl, the same girl, since I was 7 or so. We meet up in dreams every other year or so. Same place at my grandmas. We both age, and we both remember the last dream. It's really neat, but strange.

Could be a couple things going on there. The universe isn't nearly as simple as we like to think. Wink

I've had dreams all my life in certain locations that as far as I know don't exist. And in others that are slightly different versions of places I know. So many times that I can navigate them in my head when I'm awake. Makes me wonder if this isn't how many novels get written.

As far as dreaming of work, I had several dreams involving work last night, making me feel like I might as well have been there. lol
For a long time I'd dream about being in school, but I never knew where I was supposed to be, what class I should be heading too. I knew I hadn't been there in a long time. Just like the work dream the OP mentioned, those always happen right as you're waking up. I think that's what's happening, your brain knows you should be waking up and doing something so it picks something. When I was a kid I was constantly dreaming that I woke up, got dressed, caught the bus and went to school. Those were always the days I slept late. I think because part of the brain/body is going "okay, this is normal, we're doing everything we should be." and you don't wake up.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of dreams about my former job. It ended badly with me quitting after the job causing me to have two surgeries and HR expecting me to go back to doing what caused the issues in the first place.

They are never quite realistic and vary from night to night.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

Yup. Two or three times a year. Damn, I hate that one.

Holy shit, same here regarding the dream content and occurrence rate. It really pisses me off when it happens.

This one, I have also had! Very weird.

-Rob

I have this one too. Sometimes in the dream I am struggling to find the building the final is taking place in when I realize I haven't attended the class at all. Always a relief to wake up and realize I haven't attended college in 35 years. I'm not a lawyer, though.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I have a similar dream of my first college.

that is my 'go to' stress dream, word for word. it is usually always calculus.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too !! My last college class was in 1979....It is so real that when I wake up , I have to think about it for an hour or so to convince myself that it wasn't real...... Smile

quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

Yep. This one too. Just as you described.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for putting this in my head, I had a dream last night like these, but I woke up before I started to get pissed

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post